Would you buy from a website that doesn't have SSL encryption?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Apr 8, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So you've found this great bargain on a shopping website and you can't wait to buy that product you've always wanted but there's one problem . . .

The website doesn't have SSL. That means anyone interested in seeing the information transmitted between you and the website can do it with ease. They can sniff out your credit card number and use it to do some shopping at their leisure.

Is it worth the risk? Can you try to save some money and buy stuff on such a website or go to a website that will keep your financial information safe from 'dangerous' eyes?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't want to take that risk. And besides, there are always other options such as Ebay and Amazon, and they are large and reputable companies too, so why would you bother buying from a lesser known company right? I considered buying from dinodirect.com before, and good thing that I googled that site, because it turns out that it's a shady site. So now I know better not to trust lesser known online stores.

3. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I would be very suspicious of any site that doesn't use encryption. Most all legitimate websites will take measures to protect your valuable data. Any website that doesn't would have to be scrutinized quite extensively before I would buy from it, especially if the things on it have "too good to be true" prices.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have done it before. While I don't recommend it, I also know that if my credit card is used in some suspicious way, my particular bank is going to refund those charges. It's annoying to get a new card and whatnot, but it's not the end of the world and I'm not out any funds.

5. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I would be suspicious. Not only about giving this site my personal information, which I don't like to give out, just so I don't have to worry. But I would also be concerned about the quality of the merchandise that I'm buying there. And if I end up with a shoddy product, how easy is it going to be for me to return it? I would feel more comfortable buying from Ebay. They still have good bargains.