Would You Buy "lower" Quality Fruits And Vegetables?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Feb 9, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    According to a news story I read some time back, rural Montana residents get lower quality fruits and vegetables but they cost the same as higher quality fruits and veggies sold in stores in their urban centers. In some farmers markets I noticed that even though the prices of vegetables and fruits is always lower the "undersize" fruits and vegetables are much cheaper. They are the same the quality but most people never buy them.

If buying slightly lower quality fruits and vegetables would save you money, would you buy them?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would if it won't be too noticeable. Sometimes I buy slightly overripe fruit if I'm just looking to use it for shakes and I do get it for cheaper. I'd also consider it for vegetables if it's a minor ingredient like if I'm cooking a roast and I just need some carrots to serve as flavoring or if I'm using the carrots as a side ingredient for stir fry. As long as it is not the main ingredient and it's not entirely poor in quality I'd be up for it.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer undersized fruit, and specifically requested my Kroger to stock them. They are the same quality as far as I know, just are smaller, and are called 'lunchbox' apples/oranges. The size is great for snacks or breakfast, along with an egg or toast. I can't always eat a large apple or orange, because the volume is just too much. I do buy the larger, regular sized ones for cooking though, since otherwise, I'd have to try to approximate how many it would take to equate what the recipe called for, so it's just easier to use standard sized fruit.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a local farmer's market that has a shelf where there sell the overripe and slightly bruised stuff at clearance prices.
    I don't mind paying 37 cents for four almost black plantains because I can cook with them. If you're just going to cook with them, or throw them in the juicer, you don't have to buy fruits that are perfect.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    This a little tricky to answer - as apart from not being entirely sure which aspect of low quality is meant here - but when it comes to “ fresh “ produce sold in the stores - low quality can have a multitude of meanings.

However - if meaning fresh produce that has nothing wrong with it other than - its mis-shapen, undersized or slightly under/over ripe - it would seem only logical to me to buy that if it was cheaper - as not only would it save money - but it would probably taste a whole lot better too - especially as much of the larger produce sold these days - generally lacks flavor - due to the fact that the majority of commercially grown produce - is forced to grow way bigger than it naturally would do - in order to please the consumer.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    If the fruits are a bit smaller than the norm and are in good shape, I will buy. However, if it is the normal size but bruised or overripe I would not buy it even it the price is drastically reduced. I prefer to have the freshness the good taste and fine texture instead of a reduced price.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For vegetables and fruits, we always prefer quality no matter the price. But when I was young, my grandmother would come home from the market with over ripe fruits, mostly bananas or mangoes. She was even proud to say that she bought it at a big discount. But my father would frown because the bananas have black spots already and there might be bacteria.

8. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    If by lower quality, you mean smaller sized fruits, I don't see why not. But we usually just buy those larger fruits since my son and I always share one fruit. So it's better to buy a large one that we can share than eat two smaller pieces of the fruit. This works for mangoes, bananas, oranges and apples.

If by lower quality, you mean low quality fruits and vegetables, no. We buy them either from the supermarket or a reputable farmer's market. We always look for signs that the fruit is fresh and isn't rotten yet. Usually, spots, disfigurations, sunken spots, these are all signs that the fruit isn't fresh anymore.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would if they are still good for consumption. I only wouldn't buy if it was knowingly more fueled with toxic chemicals.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    My local grocery store has an over ripe section and I purchase stuff from it all of the time. They sell bags of fruit and veggies for a dollar a bag, and baking bananas for 49 cents a pound. If I am buying bananas to bake with anyway it saves me money and I do not have to wait for them to over ripe at home. As long as they taste good and are usable, I am all for it.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd buy the lower grade fruits and veggies because the nutrition is the same. It's sad that some people are charged the same as grade a fruits and veggies that are lower grade though. The nutritional value is the same so why not buy lower grade veggies and fruits?