Would You Buy Online If Returns Weren't Free?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by cocolgooh • Mar 7, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    As a general rule I won't buy anything if I think I might end up returning it anyway, as this can be counter productive and you can always be a bit unsure about how the company might handle returns. But knowing that, should something go wrong, there's the option to return a product free of charge is always reassuring I think.

I bought a big fluffy type cardigan a while back and I ordered it in one size, and when it arrived it was at least 10 sizes larger than what I'd ordered. I was grateful then to have the option to return it for free, and as I needed it for something immediately I didn't want another one sent out as it wouldn't be there in time. If this had happened to me and there hadn't been free returns I would've been very annoyed, and it makes me glad that I had checked if returning a product would be free.

For that reason, as unlikely as it is I'd actually use a returns policy anyway unless something went wrong, I was grateful for it being there and I'd always look out for it in the future.

Would you buy clothing online if they didn't have a free returns policy?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy at any store with questionable and unreasonably strict returns policy. I'd always choose what's convenient for me and what I think will benefit me most as a paying customer. That's why I prefer to buy at stores that offer cash on delivery options. This gives me enough opportunity to scrutinize the product I ordered prior to sealing the deal.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of cash on delivery being an option before, so perhaps it's not something available here. I'd definitely prefer to do that if it was available though. I think the only things you can pay for on delivery here is food. Clothing definitely wouldn't have that option attached and if you hadn't paid before they wouldn't send the product. Is this common place where you are?

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    When I shop online there are two things I look into closely before I will purchase anything - shipping and returns. I used to pay for shipping but then I started to realize that it was adding up to much and unless it was something I had to have I decided I would only shop at online stores that offer free shipping. I learned a while ago when I had to pay to return something that it seemed ridiculous to save money to have it shipped for free and then have to pay to return the item. So again, I will only shop at stores that will give you prepaid postage for returns or if I can return it to a store.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you heard of Lazada and Zalora? These are online stores popular in various parts of Asia and they both offer cash on delivery options for those who want to scrutinize their orders prior to making a final purchase. I'm sure there are other online stores that offer such options but so far, where I'm from, these are the only stores that have met my delivery needs.

6. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy in online stores that offer free return shipping with their items just in case something is wrong with their products. One of the disadvantages of shopping online is the uncertainty of the quality of the products and the disappointment that a shopper feels once he/she receives the item he/she ordered and it isn't the same as the way it looked like in pictures; so the assurance of a free return shipping is a good consolation for an online shopper. :)

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will buy most things online even without free returns, but one thing that I won't comprise on are clothes that might need to be returned if they don't fit. It's too much of a gamble, and it annoys me to have to go and waste my money returning things, plus it takes a lot of time, too. So on the most part I'm not too concerned about free returns, but for something as "risky" as items of clothing I would much prefer for it to be free if possible.

8. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    I prefer shops with free returns, and I've had to return items in the past due to bad quality or if the item didn't fit me. That's why I always check if return option is free. If it isn't, I don't order anything from that store. Shipping would be too expensive, and I would hate to waste money on a product I wouldn't be able to use or wear. I also never shop at stores which don't have free shipping.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days most will offer free returns, but I will buy items I am sure of without any free returns. If there is an option of free returns it would encourage me to order though and not hesitate. I rarely return things these days, but I have returned damaged items, and I hate how some companies would say pay and we refund you when they receive it back. Returns should be easy, and if they make it hard that's something I look out for too.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I only buy things that I know will fit. If I have bought them in the past and I already know my size for certain brands then I feel okay to buy. I do not have the extra cash or time and energy to risk it with buying clothes online when I can easily go to shops around me and save with sales.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most large companies offer free returns, but I have only shopped in those individual sellers from Ebay that don't offer any returns when you shop. I'm wary now of buying clothes online though, because some clothes that I bought before didn't fit me.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to be very careful when I'm purchasing clothing online. If I'm purchasing on eBay, I will look through the listing to see if measurements are listed. If not, I will sometimes do an internet search to find out how the sizes from that company run, and whether I can find specific measurements. If I'm not successful with that, or something without doing that, i'll contact the seller, and ask for measurements. I don't always want to let the seller know that I'm interested prior to purchasing, though, in which case I'll do the research myself.

Returns can be a nightmare, and I do my best to not have to deal with them. I have had to return a few items to Walmart that I've purchased online, but it's been a while, and I don't recall how it worked exactly, other than the fact that I was surprised I couldn't simply process the return through my local store.

If I recall correctly, Nordstrom provides for free shipping on returns. Can y'all post the names of stores here that you know does this, so we will all be aware?

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Probably less - I would only buy items I was fairly certain would fit me well and get in store items I wasn't so sure. Free returns are key for online stores to have good sales. Otherwise people would prefer going to physical stores to be sure they would not lose money.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would. I am very careful with my purchases online. I always make sure I know the measurements of everything before I even think of buying. So far, I haven't bought anything that didn't fit. I have purchased items I didn't end up liking on me though and those, for me, are opportunities to donate to those in need. When it comes to expensive purchases (tv, computer etc), that's a different story.. I usually go into the store for those.

15. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    Quality...

It's always quality... I don't care about the brand or even the price necessarily. Obviously, price matters to an extent but mostly I care about quality. Quality is what's important.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I wouldn't because it's part of the convenience I expect in exchange for the security I give up from shopping online. If that wasn't available then to me the benefits won't be equal to the disadvantages anymore and I think I'd rather just buy from a physical store which at that point would be a much safer choice since I could be more assured of returns whereas if I had to make returns online I'd have to wait days or even weeks before the whole transaction is finished and having to pay for that type of trouble just doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a general rule, I don't buy anything unless the return policy is free. I do this with ebay, checking the returns policy to see if the seller is agreeing to pay for the return postage and packing, rather than me having to pay for it. Nothing worse than getting a defective item, and then having to pay - and end up out of pocket - when the item being defective is through no fault of your own. If returns are not free, I don't buy. Simple.

18. integrity101

integrity101New Member

Threads:
    I always go for items with free shipping when shopping online just in case I'd later need to return it back for whatever reason. Another great thing about most online outlets is the fact that they provide full money-back guarantee. So yeah, if returns come free then I'd buy with no worry.

19. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah i wouldn't prefer to buy if there is not return service. It means the company is doubted about their customer will return their goods. But if you have good product so why the person will return it back??? So returning without any detection is a guarantee of in it self.

20. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the items I buy online are cheap. Sending them back to the seller would cancel out any savings I make and having the items returned would cut into the profits of the seller so they almost always send items which won't be sent back.

That said if I'm buying something that's somewhat pricey, I'll wouldn't buy something if returns aren't free. The reason I buy anything online is to save money and I'm not willing to spend more shipping back defective products.