Would you buy online to a Nigerian shopping site?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by etc • Sep 27, 2014.

1. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Not to sound racist because I really saw some eCommerce site from Nigeria that's very legit. I'm not mentioning them though but really I found list of them and locals buy from them. I'm also interested to buy something to the site but I'm having doubts thinking of what people are thinking when they hear "Nigeria" since its associated with...

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I would not buy from Nigeria unless I knew exactly who was getting the money. I am concerned that it might end up funding Boko Haram, which is actively trying to kill all Christians who won't convert to Islam. I would love to support Christians who are suffering and facing danger every day because of this war, but if I can't be sure who is running the company, I will stay far away.

3. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I would personally stay clear from the sites until everything that's going on gets straightened out. I have no desire to support any wrong/crazy doings. I would like like to help those suffering but there is no exact truth on where my money would go so no, I'll just keep my money.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I associate Nigeria with those sketchy email scams so I wouldn't buy from a Nigerian website. There are plenty of other places to shop from online, including local US sites where I can receive my order in 3 days. There's no incentive to buy from Nigerian sites.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For every legitimate website selling things out of Nigeria, you'll find ten times as many sites that are illegitimate and outright scams. I highly doubt you're trying to purchase something that you can't find elsewhere through a more reliable source. If you want to take the risk, then you might as well, but if you're spending more than a few bucks, then I can almost guarantee you're making a huge mistake.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    That's how I feel as well. I don't think it's racist or anything like that so much as being careful. Many people are uncomfortable buying from online stores based in China, as well- it's all just a matter of where you feel you can trust.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I just wouldn't risk it. Is the product you're getting at the site really that important to get there? Can you not find it anywhere else? All I think about when hearing "Nigeria" with business deals are those e-mail scams, so I'd be especially wary of any sort of deal like that.

Also, double check some reviews at different sites to see if it truly is legit or not. A site may look legit, but it's on you to be sure you're putting your card info on a site that isn't a scam. I just find it hard to believe you couldn't find the item somewhere else to where this wouldn't be a problem at all.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that I would be buying anything from Nigeria. Neither would I make any kind of transactions with companies or persons based in Burkina Faso.
    Every day I get at least three or four scam letters from these places, and would definitely hesitate in doing any kind of business with people from those countries.
    Unless I know the people that I am dealing with personally, I would say "no deal".

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I most likely would be skeptical at first as well, but if I really wanted to try then I'd maybe just check out the reviews about them and then at most probably just test them out with an averagely priced item first. To be honest, however, I already have serious enough trust issues even with trusted sellers, so I probably wouldn't risk much money with Nigerian sites just because of the connotation they have garnered over the years. If they are somehow able to correct their fellow countrymen's behavior then I'd be very happy for them and would gladly support their commerce, but until then I will stay with more well known and trusted sites and sellers.

10. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I would make sure that I did my research very well before I made a purchase from anywhere especially in countries where they have scams associated with them. It seems pretty sketchy to me, but I am sure that there are good deals there just as they are everywhere, The whole country is not filled with scammers. Just make sure you understand what you are getting into, before doing it. Check reviews for the person, or look at websites that expose scams such as the better bushiness bureau. They might help you figure out if the risk for doing it is worth it.

11. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with the sentiment of most of the posters. With good research into the customer service of the seller- and perhaps into their political affiliations if this is a concern for you- this may not be a risky purchase. I would make sure you are buying through PayPal or another reputable payment facilitator so you don't give your personal information out in a way that it may be intercepted by someone less reputable than the seller. Also, is it something that is locally-made in Nigeria? If it is an artisanal product, I don't see the harm. But, if it's just an everyday product that is simply cheaper to purchase from Nigeria, I would be concerned.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm of the same thinking. Yes, I'm sure there are some legit ones, but I know there are also a lot of illegitimate ones and I just don't want to waste my time or money. I would just buy through a different site that has a higher reputation and doesn't make me feel like I'm risking as much.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nigeria, thanks to their many scammers, has an earned a bad reputation on the web. Much as some of the shopping sites could be legit and all, it's always advisable not to take unnecessary risks when you can avoid them.

For me, even if I couldn't find what I was looking for elsewhere on the net, I'd rather do without an item, rather than buy from a Nigerian shopping site.

14. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    You know, if it was any African country other than Nigeria... I mean, people did mention the point of those email scams and, honestly, if their King has been just waiting all this time to send me some of his money, I don't see why the inhabitants would need me to buy their merchandise! Beside, I do not get these email scams anymore. What I did run into, now, were Kijiji scams. From perfectly lovely cat ladies who had important stuff to sell, but wanted me to send over the money to make sure we were fine and I could pick it up then and oh, did I mention that this very British lady has her email address from Nigeria?

Basically, it's pretty sad for them if they have legit people trying to run an honest business, but I don't think they can wash away this kind of bad reputation so easy. At the very most, if it became a reputable site, associated with something reputable, selling something very typical to the country and with a legit guarantee and Paypal, then I'd say, maybe I'd think of giving it a try. But only because Paypal takes such good care of its users and is awesome at settling disputes.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eh, my answer is a resounding NO -and the same goes for the Far East, especially China. Like many have said, most of the scams we've been subjected to have originated from those parts. As a consequence; even if there may be genuine and ethical online businesses there, I have to protect myself and simply stay clear of anything from there. It's human nature.

For instance; I was once scammed by a seller from China and ever since, If I'm interested in something and the seller's based in that part of the world I don't touch it with a barge pole.

16. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I would buy from Nigeria if I knew someone personally from there, which I do. Someone who is very trust worthy as well. There are scams all over the world and don't think your safer just because you live and buy from the US. Criminals can attack just as fast here. Look at what happened to Target and home Depot not to long ago.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, since you say that it's legit, then I guess it really is, but I don't think I would grab the opportunity to buy from a legit Nigerian site, lol just because of the possibility that it might get stolen by the unscrupulous employees over there during transit. And besides, there is Ebay and a bunch of other legit and well-known sites out there, so why buy something from an obscure although legit store, right?

18. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I know that Nigeria has gotten a bad rap due to those ridiculous spam emails. But that doesn't mean that these websites offering merchandise aren't legit either. So, would I go shopping on one. Well, to be honest I would probably do research on the website first to see if there are any customers talking about it online and what their experience was there. The reaosn I would do this research has nothing to do with the fact that its a Nigerian website but this is what I would usually do when dealing with a new website. I check it out first before becoming a customer.

19. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    Not really.
    Nigeria does have a bad rap sheet due to the scam emails so a part of me would be afraid that the money I spend would go to funding those scams (rather irrational fear I know). Plus I wouldn't want to fund any kind of terrorism because it may go to that as well.

I am always pretty weary about buying things outside the US anyway so this is no different.
    Its not racist (I am black), its just a precaution.

20. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    It would depend on what it was. If it was something I could only get in Nigeria then I would think about it. Boko Haram has got nothing to do with it. They are a guerilla outfit in the north of the country and not a representation of the country overall. Boko Haram could just as easily sell things through associates in other countries on eBay. The scam issue is more of a concern, though, so I would have to do my research rather than to just assume.