Would You Buy Paint In A Color You Dislike If It Was Cheaper?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by cocolgooh • Feb 18, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've bought small cans and tester pots of paint in colors I didn't particularly like before because I was able to use them to paint small pieces of furniture, or use the paint as an undercoat for another color to go on over the top. A while back a local store here was selling off old tester pots for £0.10 so I bought several of those to use on smaller things.

I did also buy a larger 5 litre drum of brilliant white paint for £2.50 because the side was split and therefore it wasn't a full container of paint. I didn't ideally want white but I was able to mix this in with other paints I bought cheaply and make a less stark shade of white which was then more or less what I had intended to buy. I was also able to lighten the darker tester pots I'd bought cheaply and make nicer shades that way.

Would you buy paint in the wrong color if you thought it could still be used? Or would you spend a little more to get the right shade?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use a lot of paint, other than small containers of craft paint. I have painted a few small pieces of furniture over the years, but they were for personal use, and of course I'd want those to be in a color I liked. I might be in the market for some fence paint soon, but that will be white, so there's not much chance of finding a white I don't like for the project. If I were painting walls, I would perhaps consider buying a bargain color as long as I planned to mix it with another color, so the end product was something I really liked.

Wall colors are very important to me, and can make or break my daily experience. I'm very sick of the all white walls in this place, but the owner didn't do a good job of having previous colors painted over. It's more that they white washed the walls, because if I wipe a spot, the previous color shows through. I think if i were doing an accent wall I would definitely consider buying a less popular color to mix with a main one, since I wouldn't need a huge amount. Even a really bright color that I wouldn't ever use on its own could be tempered with something softer, and result in a beautiful end product.

3. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    Interesting question, right now I might say no because I've never been in that position but I have received several items as gifts that I didn't think I would keep but have grow on me over time. I think my decision would depend mostly on whether it was cheap but still of good quality, If it will last and still look good, I still might just buy it.

4. integrity101

integrity101New Member

Threads:
    Why would you want to live in a house painted in a color you dislike. A wrong color scheme will eventually make you hate your home. You may never have peace of mind for as long as you live in that house. Personally, I wouldn't sacrifice my peace of mind and happiness just to save a few bucks in paint costs.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd definitely just spend a little more to get the right shade. It's something I'd have to live with and see everyday so I consider it an investment in my comfort and general well being. I'd much rather just spend a bit more on paint and just save money elsewhere, I think. I'd probably even choose to just skimp a bit on food expenses even for a week or a month if it means I will get a color I like because once the week or month passes the ordeal will be over whereas if I put up the wrong paint I'd have to live with it indefinitely.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There seems to be two questions. One, would I buy paint in a color that I dislike even if it was cheaper? Nope. Never. I stayed at a friend's house for a couple of days. The guest room was yellow. I hate yellow. I mean, I really hate yellow. It was so hard to sleep in that room. Painting something a color I don't like would steal my joy. Life is just too short for that.

The second question, would I buy the wrong color if it was cheaper? It really depends. The wrong color doesn't necessarily mean that I don't like it. I might depending on the item and the situation especially if the shades are complementary.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I would rather spend more and get the color that I like. I know that you can add some white or a darker color to paint and mix it yourself. I would only do this if I had some extra cans of paint lying around my house.

8. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    Paint is one of those things you really don't want to buy the cheapest grade of. Otherwise, you will end up with it peeling a few months down the road and end up spending more to repaint. I try to always buy at least a mid grade paint. However, If I found a different color of paint that was still a decent grade, I would definitely buy the one that was cheaper even if it wasn't the color I planned on buying. I can always create a nice color scheme with cheap picture frames, throw rugs and curtains.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never will buy a color of paint that I don't like even if it is cheaper. Colors can affect our moods. To be honest I don't if that is true or not but I'd rather not find out. If it means having wait for a month 'til I have enough money to buy the paint color I like then I'll be more than willing to wait.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Please allow me to segue. This is our sad experience in painting. When we moved in this house in 2001, my husband said that it is my call to choose the color of the house. I had wanted beige for the walls of the terrace. The painters we got were not really that good. What they did was to buy white paint and tinting color (mustard). They would mix the tinting color with the white paint to arrive at the desired color. And I was consulted, of course. Good. And the house was painted. Done.

But in the next painting job, my husband had discovered in the paint shop that they sell paint with beige color. Oh, that would have saved us a lot of time and effort in the mixing of the paint with that tinting color. That's the price you pay for your ignorance, huh.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I would absolutely not! There are many colours out there I just wouldn't use, even if meant saving money. The thing is, I'd have to see it every single day and I suspect I'd probably end up hating my house LOL After all, they do say a man's house is his castle! Many people would probably consider my dislike of white walls weird, but I do; it reminds me of hospitals LOL It's just too clinical for me, and I prefer warmer earth tones. So it's on of the colours I wouldn't buy, right alongside garish,brash colours.

12. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I would not buy a color I didn't like because it was cheaper. I pick out colors I like and want to see and be around, if I bought a color I didn't like, that seems like it could damper my mood and ambience of the room I've painted.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it could be used up as an undercoat or like a primer under a color I do like then sure, why not? I might also use it for pieces that I'd like to sell or for something outside that doesn't much matter to me, like a pen for the trash cans. I probably wouldn't buy a color I truly dislike and then use it in my home. It would just make me unhappy. I don't really think it's worth it in that case.

If I could change the color up enough for it to "grow on me," I'd consider it if the savings were substantial. So, I guess my answer is, "it depends."

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would only buy the colors that I like, I really don't get the point of buying paint color that I dislike just to save a few bucks. It would be a lot more wasteful if you ask me buying a color that you dislike.

15. beasleym1989

beasleym1989Member

Threads:
    I would buy colors that weren't necessarily my first choice, but I don't think I would buy any colors that I specifically did not like. I have to live with everything that I paint, and I wouldn't want to look at a color that I didn't like every day. I would definitely spend the extra money to buy one that I liked and would be proud to showcase.