Would You Buy Perishable Goods In Bull If There Is A Bargain?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by remnant • Jul 11, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There are some instances when you bump into a sale in different stores. It follows that some of these goods are highly perishable and you would love to purchase in bulk in light of the bargain. The issue is you would no doubt experience challenges in terms of preservation. What goods have you encountered with this aspect in perspective? I suppose the best thing is to cut your losses and dispose off some of them for a modest return.

2. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    A bargain sale of perishables? I think I'm going to eat and drink perishables for 2-3 days. Is a great sale if you will consume all those stuff non stop within a few days.

3. shcoo

shcooMember

Threads:
    No, I would not. I already end up buying too many fruits, vegetables, and dairy products that spoil before I can use them, even after I carefully make a menu and a budget. I don't know what my problem is. I guess someone could take advantage of the bargain by making a stew out of all of the ingredients, and then putting portions of the stew in their freezer.

4. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well this is really when you have to apply your math skills and try as best you can to predict the future when you are standing there deciding whether or not to buy. You know that you are saving money up front, but of course that is wasted if the food goes bad before you can use it. I always have this dilemma on a much smaller scale with bananas, because I love them but I know that at least 2 or 3 are going to go bad. I would say just use your best judgement and try to eat it or drink it while it is still good.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless there is a way I could preserve the perishables so they won't spoil then I wouldn't buy them in bulk unless even if I have to throw them out I wouldn't have lost any money. Otherwise if I'm getting a "good deal" and losing money anyway then I most certainly wouldn't buy the perishables in bulk.

6. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't buy in bulk but I do buy perishable goods which are on sale. There's a grocery store near my place which also has a bakery in one portion of it. Everyday they would put breads and pastries on sale because they are already near their expiration dates, usually when the product is about to expire the next day. I am one of their frequent customers when it comes to their bread sale but of course I only buy what my family and I can consume until their expiration or a day after the expiration. In a way, my purchase is almost usually in bulk because I buy for my family's consumption. :)

7. JoshSmith

JoshSmithNew Member

Threads:
    I would really only buy perishable goods if it was a amazing deal. I can very easily change my diet in according to a great sale. :)

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As there are a huge amount of perishable products that can be frozen and stored for anything from 6 months to a year in a freezer - without deteriorating in terms of quality or nutrient content - providing the items are something that are regularly used and any excess can be frozen within 24 hours - there really isn't any reason not to take full advantage of the times when these items are offered at considerably reduced prices.

Particularly bearing in mind - that not only is doing this one of the most cost effective ways of eating well for less - but if looking to save money it is for sure a smart move - especially as the savings made from bulk buying seasonal vegetables or meat, poultry, seafood, dairy produce, bakery goods etc when they are being sold at much lower prices than normal - more than pays off in the long term term - as the savings over a year are noticeably substantial.

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely buy in bulk, depending on what perishable item it is. If it's something that could be frozen like bread, meat, fruits then definitely. I always look for ways to save money so if berries are on sale I'll buy several baskets and freeze them. If meat is on sale I'll buy several packages and freeze the meat as well. It's great savings.

10. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought perishables in bulk. If I don't think I can use them all, I give them away to friends and family. Usually, I am able to use them in a recipe that freezes well or (in the case of fruits and vegetables) freeze the ingredient by itself in order to make the most use out of it. I can't pass up a good deal as long as it is something I can truly use.

11. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJMember

Threads:
    I would buy perishable foods in bulk but I have the luxury of having three, hungry sons in my household who are insatiable after their workouts. I can be fairly assured that over 80% of the perishable products will be consumed, so it is cost-effective to buy in bulk for my family, even if the last 10-20% spoils before it is consumed as the saving for buying in bulk is usually in the 20-30% range overall.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are things you can do, for example if you're buying tomatoes In a good sale, you can make tomato sauce and freeze it, which preserves it well. With fruits, you can do freeze them as well in case of fruits like bananas and strawberries. I would also maybe give some away to friends and family of the sale was that good.

13. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    No, I would buy perishable goods in bulk to a point where they would be spoilt because they were more than the amount that I would be able to use in a reasonable period of time.That would be reckless on my behalf because even though I took advantage of the bargain, I would end up losing out eventually.

14. ricemaster214

ricemaster214New Member

Threads:
    Well it really depends on a number of factors such as how many people are in the household and whether or not you can finish the perishable in time before they all expire. In a family setting, buying in bulk is almost always a bargain; however, if the person is living alone, it's better not to buy in bulk and put all that food to waste.

15. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I stumbled upon a sale of Korean food one time. I saw boxes of ramyun being sold, me and my wife go gaga over this noodles so we bought quite a lot. You can buy them for a dollar in stores, but since they were on sale. They were selling it half the price. and the more you buy, the more discounts you will get. so we bought around 60 pieces for 3 for a dollar. the bad thing is, we only had 5 days before they expire. So we set aside 15 packs and sold the others for 2 for $1.50. We got to eat lots of midnight snacks and earned a little extra on the side.

16. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I would because I usually end up consuming everything I buy within a few days. I don't really buy a week's worth of food because of the lack of money but if I do have the food, I'd devour it. I would take them especially if they're a great bargain

17. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have learned a lesson a long time ago when I had no money. A neighbor brought home sacks of lanzones from their plantation. The lanzones is a fruit that is expensive and sold per kilo. And since the price they offer is about 50% of the market prices, I borrowed money and bought 10 kilos to sell to my circle. Unfortunately, only 2 kilos were sold and I was left with the 8 kilos that went spoiled because is it a perishable food item. Now I am careful in buying fruits in bulk, never tried those dozen apples in a pack.

18. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    When buying in bulk then a lot is going to depend on what the item is in the first place, and for fresh fruit, vegetables or fish and meat then it just ends up to be false economy as you end up having to throw away most of what you have bought. Tinned products and goods that you can freeze without affecting the quality are alright, and I think the only time that I buy in bulk now is when I'm purchasing items such as that, or products like rice and pasta as that also tends to have a long use by date on there so you can buy a lot all at once and use them over the course of a few months, you don't have to use all 50 kilo's of pasta withinga week!

19. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the type of perishable goods and how long I can keep it in my refrigerator before it loses virility. For example I can keep tomatoes in refrigerator for four to five days. So if there is a bargain on this item I will do a calculation of the quantities I would need within that period I can preserve them and buy exactly that amount. I won't buy more than I need if there is a bargain on perishable goods. I hate waste.