Would You Buy Scratch And Dent Appliances?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Apr 15, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I moved in here, I needed to purchase a washer, dryer, and refrigerator. I had money at the time, and did a lot of research before settling on the units I purchased. I went with Home Depot, because they had free delivery, unlike another large similar store, and the prices were good.

I have seen some appliances (and also furniture and other items) listed on mark down because they have a small scratch or dent. Some of the issues are barely noticeable, and some wouldn't even be visible once the appliances were set in place. Is this something you would consider, to save money?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Oh for sure - especially as huge savings are virtually guaranteed by doing this.

In fact as this is something I've always done - I would highly recommend buying big ticket household items this way - particularly as - not only have I found it to be one of the most cost effective ways of buying expensive household appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, fridge/freezers etc - as well as various pieces of furniture - but with a full 40-45% discount for what were in reality small blemishes or dents that were barely noticeable - plus a full manufacturers warranty - on brand new appliances - they've been some of my best bargains ever.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that is a good way to save money. I haven't done this before, but I wouldn't be adverse to doing it all. I also have saved money in the past buying secondhand or rental return furniture. They will even deliver so it can be a big savings. I haven't had to buy any appliances for years so I don't know about scratch and dent options.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have done this on a few occasions. There is definitely money to be saved by buying big ticket items this way. Ikea has a great section of scratch and dent furniture. If the dent or scratch is not noticeable I have no trouble saving money this way. We bought a gas fireplace recently and saved a few hundred dollars on it. There was a small scratch on the vent that is not even visible when the cover is on. We also bought the floor model of our dining room chandelier and saved money there. I only do this as long as the warranty on the product is still valid too.

5. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I have no problem at all buying appliances this way. It has saved us a lot of money doing it this way.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, especially for large appliances, I would definitely buy dented items as long as they're not that noticeable and unsightly. I would be a bit more picky if it's a brand new cellphone though, I don't want any dents in that!

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like saving money and don't care about scratchs or dents. If the dents are not someplace that is very noticeable not a problem. Scratchs can be covered with paint.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends. If the scratch or dent isn't too gruesome and can still be repaired or refurnished, then it's all right for me to buy second-hand appliances. The type of appliance would matter too. For instance, I don't think I'd buy a slightly used television but I'm all right buying scratched or dented speakers.

9. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    As some appliances are a bit on the pricey side, if I can get a bargain on an appliance I will go for it as long as it is in good working condition. I do not have a problem with the scratches or dents as long as they are not too drastic. In any case, I would be getting the appliance at a reduced price because of the dents and/or scratches. I would not buy something that is dented or scratched at the full price though.

10. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I'm all for buying scratch and dent items as well after a thorough inspection though. If it's something that can be easily fixed or replaced at a minimum cost, I'm game. Free delivery is definitely a deal breaker and if the old item can be removed as well.

11. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I'm mixed in the sense that I'm unsure of what exactly happened on the inside. Sometimes to dent the hard outer layer of a product means it really took a beating and it's hard to say what may have been rattled on the inside. Typically it's all okay though and as long as I have a long warranty and extended warranty through my credit card then I don't really concern myself too much over it.