Would You Buy The Wrong Size Clothing If It Was Cheaper?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by cocolgooh • Feb 10, 2016.

1. FirmooS

FirmooSNew Member

Threads:
    I used to , but now I am picky I`d rather pay more to fit my body.

2. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    I will buy clothing slightly smaller or larger for a good price, just because I like form fitting things and I can use bigger clothes on my comfy days.if I will never actually be able to wear it, I won't buy it.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've done this. Once it was a winter coat. I really needed one badly. It wasn't a great color, and it was a size too big, but it was what I could afford. When my kids were little, I always bought for them first, and I made due with whatever. I really didn't mind it, but now that they're mostly grown, I try to buy stuff for myself that fits.

Still, if I got a really good deal on something nice, I'd probably go for it, if I knew I could make any necessary alterations myself.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I wouldn't. When I'm shopping and they've run out of my size, I give up. The thing is, I wouldn't even know where to start, in terms of altering stuff. My mum is very good at this sort of thing, but she lives a 1 000km away :( I'd have to pay extra to have it altered and I think that just defies the logic of buying it cheap in the sale in the first place, doesn't?!

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I was about to write a reply asking what the point of buying a smaller size at a cheaper price when you know it won't fit you as well, but then I remembered that last month I visited a running store in London and bought a running vet that was a size smaller than my current size because it was a good £20 cheaper and it added as an incentive to lose a bit of weight to fit into it. :)

6. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I don't really like clothes that don't fit me perfectly. I guess, I am a perfectionist. I don't need or buy all that many clothes, but the ones that I have tend to be of a high quality and are often custom-made by a friend who is a seamstress. I don't like that feeling of clothes being too big and hanging off me, or worse, when they are a bit too small or too short, digging uncomfortably into my body.

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    There is no way that I would buy a wrong sized item of clothing because it would be cheaper than my regular fit. I buy clothing for a specific fell or look, and I am not going to sacrifice what I would deem as being a comfortable fit in order to save cost.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought larger sizes before, because the pattern was awesome and they didn't come in the small sizes. Like you, I just altered them. I've also bought smaller items for the same reason. I like to make new things from old things, so it was just another way to buy cheap materials.

9. integrity101

integrity101New Member

Threads:
    Ah, that's typical of my wife. Sometimes it's not even about the price but the style or design. I don't entirely blame her. I've also bought some decent shirts that were a size larger than what I wear and had my tailor some magic to make them fit.

10. moll

mollNew Member

Threads:
    I haven't found a good tailor in this area, so I wouldn't get the wrong size if I was buying something that needed to look sharp, like a collared shirt, suit, or sheath dress. Most fit issues come with my broad shoulders anyways, so I have to come up with creative solutions to hide the bagginess around my waist.

I'll definitely size up if its a slouchy sweater, long cardigan, or other things that are so trendy that I wouldn't wear them to the office.

11. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have recently bought a dress one size too big because it was cute and cheap. All I do is add a belt around the waist and I'm good to go. Unless you plan on altering it yourself, you probably shouldn't buy a bigger size. Why pay money for clothes that don't fit and pay for alteration. Now the only time you might do that is if it is some type of special clothing like bridal and you think having it altered will outweigh time spent going back to the store or waiting for the right clothing to ship back to you on time. Either way, buying bigger is ok if that is your thing.

#31Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  12. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't fit me, no matter how little it costs. What's the point if I won't look good in that piece of clothing? However, my mom sometimes does buy stuff that isn't her size, but she knows how to sew and can easily fix clothes to suit her size. I, on the other hand, often have to refrain from buying a piece of clothing I really like because there's no suitable size left.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would possibly purchase pajamas/robe, sweat pants/shirts or other similar clothing to be worn exclusively around the house, if it was a size too big. I wouldn't purchase anything in the wrong size if it was going to be tight or otherwise uncomfortable. I definitely wouldn't buy the wrong size shoes, because all of our weight rests on our feet, and I feel it's very important that they be comfortable and property supported.

14. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy something in my size rather than one that is too big even though it can be altered. Even if the style and colour of the outfit is right, and the price is affordable, I would still have second thoughts about buying it. However, if the item just needs a small adjustment but would be a good fit otherwise, I would buy it and make the adjustment. Sometimes a blouse or dress may just be a bit wide in the armpits and that may be the only part of the outfit that needs tacking in. However, if the outfit is big all over, the task of taking it in would be a lot more involved and time consuming.

15. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I personally think that it all depends on the clothesthat I will be buying for example, if it was an over sized t shirt I would definitely buy it, even if it was littler than normal, I would buy it, when talking about pants, I would buy them if they were 1 size bigger than my normal size I could give it to a tailor and he would fix it, if it is somehow littler then I would not, it all depends.

16. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Nope - it wouldn't matter how cheap something was - I honestly couldn't ever justify buying clothes that were not my size - simply because - it would be a total waste of money on my part - as I know for sure that whatever it was - if it didn't fit me properly it would just sit in the closet never seeing the light of day.

As not only is fit extremely important to me when it comes to clothing - but when shopping for clothes - as I like my clothes to last a reasonably long time I have a rule that I strictly abide by and that is - unless I totally love how something looks the moment I first try it on, it fits perfectly and I know it will work well with the majority of my existing wardrobe - its not coming home with me - or put another way - I'm not going to be buying it.

17. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    If it's really, really cheap... Sometimes I'll buy a size smaller to encourage me to loose a few pounds. Never anything smaller than a size or two.

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmmm. In response to this question,I would have to say no. Comfort is what I go for when it comes to clothes. I like to look good, of course, but not at the expense of not being able to move freely, or suffering pain from tight shoes or clothing as a result. I want to feel good. That is the goal. If I am buying clothes the wrong size, whether it is baggy or tighter, that is usually an uncomfortable thing for me.

19. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I do buy cheap clothing even if it's not my size because I have a plethora of family members that I could give it to. However, if I'm going to buy the wrong size, I try to buy the bigger one instead of small unless I have someone specific in mind to give it to. As for buying them for myself, the bigger clothes can sometimes be more comfortable whereas I won't ever wear the smaller ones. I've even bought the same exact shirt once or twice just because of the price.