Would You Buy Used Electronics From Craiglist?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • May 28, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been looking through Craiglist because I like reading some of the ads posted on the site and noticed that there were some ads for used electronics. While I believe that a few of these ads could be genuine there are some which are not. In fact, most of them aren't. I've heard tales about a scammer who used to claim he sold used electronics and when some sucker paid him, he'd send them cartons filled with junk.

After reading that, I promised myself that I'd never buy anything from Craiglist and if I did I wouldn't make any payment unless I received the ordered item first.

Would any of you take the risk of buying anything from Craiglist if it was cheaper there than anywhere else on the net?

2. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would buy anything that doesn't require me to physically pick up the goods. Even then, I'm still a little hesitant.

However, I'm considering buying a 3DS, and I think it'll be cheapest to buy one on Craigslist. I haven't decided if I should wait and buy a new one, or get one sooner used.

3. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    I've purchased a lot of things from Craigslist in the past and I've never had a problem with any of my purchases. However, I know that a lot of people have. With that in mind, I think that if I was going to buy an electronic from them that I would follow the same guidelines that I always follow. I always meet the person in person and will only pay them in person after the item is in my hand.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had an experience buying anything from Craiglist but I would be very careful especially after reading a bad review about some sellers.

I had a look at writing ads there before and one of the ads clearly mentioned that it was a writing job but when I went to see the details, it was actually a posting link task.

I don't really trust many of the ads there especially those that are selling goods be it new or used. I would prefer to meet the seller in person too before paying for what I want.

5. cabenb

cabenbMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't take the risk. There are better ways to buy second hand stuff nearby.

6. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that I would risk it by buying it form craigslist. When it comes to electronics, I'm pretty picky with these kind of things. When I buy electronics I would rather go into a trustworthy store and ask questions because electronics are generally expensive (if you want a good brand) and I don't want my money going down the drain after buying something.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I purchased my tablet from Craigslist. I picked the tablet up from the seller and was shown how to work the tablet at his place of employment. I know some people are not comfortable purchasing from strangers online and meeting people to pick up their purchases. I had no problems with the purchase.

8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I have very bad experience with Craigslist so far. I bought twice from there and I always ended up with products that only last for about a month. I think it's really not worth it. Also, I don't like the idea of actually meeting up with a person that you don't know just to get and pay for the item. There are too many reports already saying how dangerous this kind of practice is, so I would rather buy something expensive in the mall instead of risking my safety.

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    No, I wouldn't buy anything from Craigslist or any online gadget store selling used goods unless I can schedule a meet-up with the seller and physically test the gadget myself before paying for it. Electronic gadgets, particularly mobile phones, tablets, and laptops are vulnerable to damages depending on the previous owner's usage. There are some gadgets which are slightly used but have software damages, while there are others that were heavily used for basic functions. Only through an actual test can these be determined. Also, most items sold on Craigslist do not have a warranty unlike those sold in store outlets.

10. dailypayments

dailypaymentsNew Member

Threads:
    I would be very nervous about buying anything from Craigslist. Unfortunately a lot of scammers use Craigslist . I think that the only way I would buy anything from Craigslist is if they had a link to a reputable site, like Ebay. I am not comfortable sending anyone any money that I don't know and hope that I get the product.

11. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No - I would not buy a used electronic off of Craig's List.

Instead, I would go to a pawn shop. At a reputable one, you can at least get a 30-day guarantee on the product. So, if all fails, you can return the item. You can't do that with the sometimes shady folks on Craig's List.

My best buy from a pawn shop was a TV. It lasted for 10 years.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I have bought used electronics before, but not on Craigslist, I bought them on Ebay and on other classified ads sites. The item was shipped to me, and the transaction went smoothly, but unfortunately, the items that I bought stopped working months later, like 2 months after I bought them. So I wouldn't really have high expectations regarding buying 2nd hand items, because they have been used already before.

As for Craigslist, I heard that they are a haven for scammers, so I'd probably practice caution if ever I buy there.

13. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I have bought electronics off similar to Craigslist site before. A couple of years ago my Nokia phone 'experienced' washing machine, so I needed a cheap temporary phone.
    I bought a used iPhone 3GS from online advert. It was a good bargain and the phone was in a mint condition.

Though every purchase I have made was always pick up only, paying in cash. I wouldn't trust a complete stranger with a bank/paypal transfer, there are many bad people, so you can easily get scammed that way.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I could get electronics from Craigslist... I wouldn't trust them to accept it back if the product was damaged by any chance. I actually got a microwave and TV from a thrift store before and they worked great. But they actually gave me a few months warranty in case they broke down shortly after purchase. With Craigslist you are usually buying from another person, who would hardly accept a return.

15. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    No. Electronics are the one thing I don't skimp on quality or price for. As I keep my electronics for years, I always go ahead and get exactly what I want when getting a new device. I don't shop at Craigslist much anyway, but I'm not all that comfortable buying an electronic from that site. I'd rather get a brand new product that I know will be in good shape rather than get something I'm not sure how messed up the machine will be.

16. brandon0818x

brandon0818xNew Member

Threads:
    I personally don't like buying used electronics if I do not have to. I'd much rather save up some money and buy a new one! If I had to buy a used device, I think that Craig's List would be good, compared to ebay or amazon, since you meet the seller and won't be surprised by the quality or state of the product!

17. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Well, yes, it's true that the prices of the electronics used can become ridiculously cheaper. But you still need to exercise caution measures:

Research the product itself. Some products last long, some not so much. You must be clear what is the average duration. Do not buy if it is passed.

Ask about the return and exchange policies. You have to be very clear about what would happen if the product dies right after it changes hands. If they say "it's your problem," it is better to avoid it unless truly convinced. Decent sellers should at least offer something in return if this happens.

Try the product before buying it. This is imperative. If they won't let you try the product, just do not buy it.

18. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I would never buy used electronic gadgets from anywhere. It's not that it's bad, or it's not safe in any sort. It's just that it's not my thing. In terms of things like these, I would rather have them new of at the top of performance, no sign of wearing off. Although I am not a patron of either buying or selling used electronics, I am in other stuff like clothes and other apparels. It's just like electronic gadgets I consider very important practically and aesthetically for me that they should always come new, untouched, and working at their best.

19. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I would always prefer buying second hand things from people I trust or know well enough over buying them from some random people on internet. But thats me. I know a lot of people buy things on sites like craigslist but I wouldnt do that.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know that some of the electronics on Craigslist are the real deal because I have sold a brand new espresso maker, a brand new food sealer and a barely used Magic Bullet on Craigslist.
    The reason I sold these items were because they were gifts or impulse purchases and I wasn't using them. A couple of people got great deals from me.
    If I was an honest seller, there are probably other honest sellers out there too. Sometimes you just sell something because you're not using it, not because anything is wrong with it.