Would You Buy Used Electronics From Craiglist?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • May 28, 2014.

1. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    For the most part, no. Especially when it comes to cellular phones and alike. Mind you, those are typically the only things -I- sell on craigslist.

Realistically, there are so many things that can go wrong with electronics that it's rarely worth the hassle. What looks perfect find and normal on the outside could have water damage, a capacitor ready to burst, or the item itself could be stolen. That said, I don't mind buying electronics from Thrift Stores as they usually allow returns or at least exchanges.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I personally wouldn't because it's a bit too risky for my taste, because I like to buy from reputable sources when it comes to my devices and I even don't like buying from ebay despite sellers having good feedback because I prefer to buy from official stores as much as possible. It's mostly due to my own paranoia, though, and I do realize that individual sellers most likely have good enough quality products, but I just would prefer to be sure that my devices hasn't been tampered with.

3. Broadleaf

BroadleafMember

Threads:
    I've bought electronics from Kijiji and Craigslist before, but solely to flip them to make a buck or two. I wouldn't personally use any electronics bought from Craigslist because I'd be worried where they came from if you know what I mean. Also, any electronics I buy from Craigslist to flip generally reek of cigarette smoke and I wouldn't want that horrid smell in my home stinking up my rooms.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I would, although I wouldn't spend more than about £50. I've bought stuff from pawn shops before and found that they don't work, so I don't see craiglist as any more risky. Part of the massive discount is the acceptance of risk so I think it would be a worthwhile purchase.

5. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what electronics, what cost they're going for, and what condition they are in really.

However as a generalisation, yes I would buy from Craigslist. It's as bad/good as buying from Ebay really.

6. escottdavilla

escottdavillaNew Member

Threads:
    This is a good discussion. TO be perfectly honest, I would buy used electronics from Craigslist. I would definitely be smart about it. I would only purchase electronics if there were some way to get in contact with the seller. I would also only purchase goods if they were within reasonable driving distance. I would ask the seller if it were possible for him or her to send me pictures. I would also ask for the serial number to conduct my own research.

7. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I've never bought anything from craigslist. I really prefer ebay because I don't have to leave my house to buy stuff and I don't have to meet strangers who could potentially be really weird.

8. JDG1113

JDG1113New Member

Threads:
    I often buy items from Craigslist. In fact, I will check there before I go to the store. I bought my last microwave for $10. It has been working for years now. When it started acting up, I went looking for another. It has calmed down. We also bought a computer monitor for $15. Also worked great. I sold my Chi Machine on Craigslist with no problems. I have also sold clothing and boots without issue. Craigslist is a great community resource.

9. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I never bought anything from Craiglist not unless I've seen it and I know that the person I'm buying from is legit. The best thing to do is to really see the seller in person and just do the transaction there, you can't really trust someone from the internet these days.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty certain not all Craiglist users are scammers. However, just to be on the safe side, I prefer to buy brand new electronics at appliance or electronics stores. At least there's a warranty for a year or so. You can exchange the product you bought for a new one in case of defects. Buying second-hand electronics means there's no warranty for you.

11. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    No. I wouldn't suggest buying electronic gadgets from Craigslist. Let me tell you a little secret. I've worked at a telecommunications company before and as customers know, there's a way to blocklist a phone. What fraudsters do is they sell their old phone to someone at Craigslist and then request for the device to be blocklisted. In that way, the person who bought it won't be able to use it at all. It will just be a paperweight.

12. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I would not, more often that not they might not be functioning properly, if that is the case you would have just wasted your money for nothing. I would much rather spend a bit more to buy a refurbished model from official retailers, at least you can have peace of mind that what you are buying is functional.

13. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I love my gadgets and i value them so much so whenever i buy one i always make sure it's the best quality so it can last. I'm not into spending money for gadgets after gadgets so I'd rather buy the best quality one the first time. So no, I wouldn't buy refurbished gadgets from craiglist. I'm sure some are probably at its finest quality but I'd rather not risk it.

14. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know I kind of trust the site bit then I really sometimes do not trust it. I just get the feeling that some of the people that might be selling on the site might be scammers are something. I have some friends of mine who have been able to get some good things on there bit me personally I do not think that it would buy stuff from there.

15. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    As far as purchasing anything online; especially items like electronics I've purchased mine through reputable electronics Websites that have been around for a while and are knowledgeable about various types of electronics. You can also get refurbished electronics, like laptops, through places like buy.com or Tiger Direct for a lot less than what you would pay for a brand new product and you have the option of purchasing a warranty with your device, as well.

16. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I have done that so many times back then when I used to live with more than one people in my apartment. Huge fridge, vacuum cleaner, washer and dryer, TV are some of the things that I bought cheaply on Craigslist. The thing is, the price was so cheap compared to the price of brand new items and we thought that we don't risk that much money even if the products we bought fail. We also tested them at the house of the buyer so we didn't encounter any problems either.