Would you dry your clothes on a line after taking them to a laundry?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by artifactsofmars • Jul 16, 2012.

1. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    I have done this before, after going to the laundry and running out of money. Is it worth the bother though when it normally takes only about four quarters, maybe three to dry your clothes?
    Laundromats are getting expensive and that is a fact. The ones around here want $1,75 per washer and that is quite expensive in my book. Technically you could save some money by just line drying the laundry. Does anyone do this?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to line dry our clothes as a kid. For some reason line dried clothes smell better to me. I wish I had the choice of line drying because I would much prefer to do it. Living in an apartment really does restrict my choices.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I can't stand line-dried laundry. Maybe it smells better to some people, but it always has a funky texture to me. Almost like the clothes dry stiff, ew.

If I absolutely have to in order to save money, I would consider line drying again, but otherwise, I'd rather cut corners elsewhere and be able to afford dryer costs.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Different strokes for different folks. ;) I hate the smell of a clothes dryer. The only thing I like about the clothes dryer is that may items don't need to be pressed. That's a big plus. I love the smell of air dried clothes.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I agree with Jessi on a lot of things, but I'm with you on this. There's nothing to beat the fresh smell and feel of line dried clothes. I don't even own a tumble drier these days. If the weather's not good enough to dry the clothes, I postpone the washing until it is. I especially love to get into bed when I've changed the sheets. The fresh smell sends me off to sleep in no time.

6. Spongecake

SpongecakeNew Member

Threads:
    I was really into the frugality of line-drying, but every time I tried my clothing came out stiff. (Especially the towels! It was like drying off with sandpaper.) I've since learned that adding vinegar to the wash right before a rinse cycle can help. This isn't too useful if you use a laundromat, though. I've had some success with line-drying until they're almost dry, and then tossing them in the dryer for two minutes to finish them off.

Seems like line-drying works especially well for those who actually have dryers! Crazy.

7. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I would if I had a washer & dryer at my house but that's to much trouble when you go to the laundromat to wash. Although, the heavier clothing such as towels, jeans, etc., I do hang those when I bring them home because it takes to many quarters to dry them completely. So the towels, jeans, etc. are nice and fluffy after they have been in the dryer for a ten minute spin.

8. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if it's because of how humid it is in Mississippi, but my clothes never smell fresh after line drying. They smell.....blech. I much prefer my dryer just for this reason.

9. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I have also hung clothes out after returning from the laundry. I hate it, not the hanging out part, but lugging the clothes. They 50% heavier when wet. I do love the smell of fresh lined dry clothes. Since I don't have to go to the laundry, I hang out the majority of my clothes. Towels and jeans find their way to the dryer though, they dry stiff on the line and no amount of softener can help.

10. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    Your using too much detergent. Try running your clothes through a cycle with no soap and see how many suds are on the water midway through. A 1/2 cup of vinegar in the rinse will help remove buildup and kill germs, it also works as a natural fabric softener.

Yes I line dry everything. I have a small patio and I wash at night and hang, by morning they are almost dry. The slow drying also helps clothes to not be crunchy. I stand to save .50-.75 c per load running the dryer. I do at least 40 loads per month. The savings are substantial and its good for the environment.

11. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Our dryer don't function well So i have to hang my clothes on the line. Its a lot better since I need not to iron my shirts besides wet shirt needs to sunlight :D

12. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't do this because we don't have the space in our apartment to hang all of our clothes. If we lived in a bigger place, then yes, absolutely.

13. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    Line drying the laundry is not such a bad idea. I have enough of free space to do this so I think I'm going to give it a try. Yes, laundromats are getting more expensive than they used to be.

14. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I like to keep my clothes clean and therefore do not have a buildup of dirty clothing. When I was busy I took my clothing to the laundry or whichever washing machine was available. Just the way it is. One does not need to have an insane build-up of dirty clothing - that is just stupid. When I worked long hours in London, I took my laundry to the laundromat....you put clothing in it and voila!...clean clothes.

15. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    OMG! I hate line dried clothes. I would never do that again, my clothes are always all stiff and wrinkly. Thank God I have a dryer in my home.

16. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I would love to do that, but unfortunately there is no way to do that in a bachelor apartment, especially with no balcony. Years ago, my mother did this and for some reason the clothes felt better when they were hung on a line to dry. I just picture a big backyard with a crisp spring wind and the sun blaring down as the clothes dry. Ah, the romanticism of my mind...

17. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I line dry all of our clothes and my toddler's diapers about 95% of the time. Like many others, I love the smell of "outside" that lingers on our sheets and clothing. I do tumble dry the diapers for a few minutes so they are not as stiff on my daughter's bottom. Most importantly, we are trying to cut costs wherever we can and line drying helps a lot. It's the one way I can use this sweltering heat to my advantage!

18. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    We use a dryer rack to dry most of our clothes. I don't have an outdoor clothes line at he townhouse. But I do dry them on a rack near the porch door. I will toss them in the dryer with a fabric sheet to soften them for a few minutes so I don't have to iron them. I prefer my towels and jeans soft.

19. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I would and I have done this. I have went to go wash clothes and ran out of money and have come home and hung then on the line! I actually like drying my clothes on the line sometimes haha!

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My folks used to do this, but some of the neighbors started complaining about it (that it looked unsightly or something). Some people are just snobs I guess. I didn't mind it really, the only thing that used to bother me is sometimes beetles would climb up into the clothes. A few times I went to put a shirt on from right off the clothes line and fell them crawling on me, lol.