Would you dry your clothes on a line after taking them to a laundry?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by artifactsofmars • Jul 16, 2012.

1. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I just recently purchased this from Amazon:

I, too, don't have the luxury of air drying outside since I live in an apartment without a balcony. But, I do hang dry the following: button down shirts (dress shirts), pants, skirts, and dresses. In my old apartment, I put the clothes on the hanger and they went into the bathroom (hanging above the shower, where the shower door was). I used a small fan in there to circulate the air and everything came out great. In my new apartment, I don't have that option. So, I bought this clothes hanging system. It is super easy to use. Now, we leave it in the bedroom (and it's easy to hang tomorrow's outfit on it when we're not using it to dry clothes). We also have a dehumidifier in the bedroom, so we keep that going.

I don't really care too much about the stiffness of the clothes. Once you wear it, the stiffness pretty much goes away. It doesn't smell any cleaner or dirtier to me. The reason I hang dry is because the clothes last so much longer, in my opinion.

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have done this before it's really not bad and the good thing is my clothes didn't get any wrinkles in it so i like drying them on a line plus it saves money as well.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Those four quarters will add up over time. It's always the little tiny seemingly insignificant things that will help you save the most money.

4. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I wash my laundry at home and dry them at a laundrette nearby. I try not to bring back clothes semi-dry or damp as they will take forever to dry in cold weather. Even when the sun is out, the clothes are damp at the end of the day in winter, when put out on the clothesline to dry. So I prefer adding a few more coins in the laundromat machine and wait until they are fully dry.

5. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    I also dry my clothes with a line dryer. I avoid using my electric laundry dryer as much as possible. It helps me save on my electricity consumption, especially since electricity costs are now getting higher and higher.

6. obadiah

obadiahNew Member

Threads:
    I absolutely would take my clothes home and dry them on the line after washing them at the laundromat! I feel it is important to dry clothes on the line as much as possible to not only save money but for the good of the environment as well. I make my own laundry detergent and the clothes just smell so fresh and clean after drying on the line. And you might think I am a little crazy for this, but I love to watch my clothes blowing in the wind as they are on the line drying, there is just something so old fashioned and picturesque about it.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also hang my clothes out to dry all the time, but that is when I just finished spin drying them in the washing machine. We don't own a dryer, so we had no choice but to line dry our clothes.

8. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I have done this before and yes I would do it again, i love the fresh smell from drying the clothes on the line, used to do it all the time when the kids were little.

9. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Now, when I was a child my mother and I always hung the clothes on the line and they smelled so fresh when the clean air had blown through them. I would do it again if I had a home in the countryside. To me that keep your clothes fresh and germ free without a doubt. I think dryers should only be used on rainy or bad days like snowing outside.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's what I was going to suggest. I grew up with line dried and they were soft and smelled fantastic. If clothing gets stiff, it's because they weren't rinsed well enough or the product itself is the issue. It not only saves money, but less chemicals on our bodies is always a good thing.

11. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    I'd line-dry if the clothes didn't come out so stiff. (And if it didn't rain here quite so much lately!) I'm all for saving electricity when we can. Are there any products to keep clothing from getting stiff on the line? I don't think fabric softener really cuts it.

12. Tribie

TribieMember

Threads:
    Our laundry shops here include a wash dry and fold service and it costs an equivalent of .60 cents per kilo of clothes. They do everything and give you back your clothes nicely folded. I only bring my clothes there when I'm too busy to do everything myself at home.

13. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I don't do this just because of the area that I live in. If I was in the woods and more in a nature type environment then I feel like I would do this constantly but unfortunately I live in a talk story apartment building in which its physically not possible to do this.

14. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    In Jamaica, it's popular to dry your clothes on clothes lines. Even apartments have clothing lines where people can hang their clothes to dry. The cost of electricity per kilowatt hour is very expensive here, costing over US $20.00; so many persons who even have a dryer don't even use it that much. I found out that a cup of vinegar in my rinsing water is a great fabric softener.

15. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

Before I got a washer and dryer of my own I use to do this wash their and dry at home. And if I didn't have the money I would just wash my clothes out by hand.

16. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I always dry my clothes on the line, when we have the weather that is. However I do own a dryer and most of the time I dry them in that, but when we have the weather they go on the line, to save money.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My current place has a washer and a clothesline. If the laundromats allowed it, I would wash clothes in the washer at home and then take them to the laundromat to dry them.
    My clothes always dry a little stiff, or they fall on the ground and my dog lies down on them.
    I don't know if my local laundromat had a lot of customers hand washing clothes and drying them at the laundromat, but now they have a sign that you have to both wash and dry there.

18. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I would hang by clothes on a line after taking them to the laundry. Especially, if I have to go the the laundromat. It can save a little money. I have a dryer at home so I rarely do this. I remember hanging clothes on the line was the only way my grandmother dried her clothes. I remember I hated going to hang the clothes on the line. But, if I had to I definitely would.

19. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    I agree with you, Jessi. Line-drying does give the clothes a somewhat rough texture. I grew up on wearing clothes out of the dryer, so I always want my clothes to feel Bounty sheet soft! Unfortunately, where we live now, we only have a washing machine, so we have to hang dry our clothes all over the apartment. Adding fabric softener to the wash has helped a little bit, but nothing beats how a dryer keeps clothes feeling soft!

20. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:
    There is nothing wrong with drying your clothes on a clothing line. People do it all the time. I have done it as well. I believe before dryers were created this was how they dried clothes in the old days. Believe it or not I think hang drying is better than using the dryer. Not only do you save money but your clothes fades slower and they do not shrink from heat.