Would you ever buy used clothing?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by dieselfit • Nov 20, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Tons of online sites and local stores/garage sales always have used clothing for sale. I know some people find this weird because we wouldn't want to wear something that someone else wore. What if the clothes seem to be in perfect condition or it was something that was so rare, would you get it regardless if it was used?

2. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    It depends what sort of clothing item. And what sort of condition the item is in. I would never buy used underwear or bikinis, shoes or socks and pants. I don't like the thought of someone else wearing the clothes and I do struggle with it. But it's what I can afford right now.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never did! The only used clothing I ever wore were "donations" from my cousins with stuff that didn't fit them anymore or they didn't like. However, I give them more of my stuff than they give me theirs.
    I would love to find a great place to buy quality used clothing, but sadly I never did!

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! I love buying stuff nobody else owns.. I detest going into a store and you have no choice but to look like everyone else. used clothing is my favourite, I've found so many awesome items that I will never see on anyone else (or rarely.. haven't yet though). We have the best stores here for it.

5. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I really don't like to wear clothes than other people have worn. I would make an exception if the article of clothing was in really good condition. Jackets and coats are ok too because they don't touch people's skin directly.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind used clothes if their in good condition with no stains ill buy use clothes wash them in hot water and they are just like new I don't mind used clothes but like I said they have to be in good condition with no stains so yes I would get it.

7. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    I just started getting into buying high quality, used clothes. You just have to have an eye for picking the right items, know which brands are good, and know which items you actually need.

eBay is a gold mine for this, but I feel like thrift stores are a better option because you can actually touch, see, and feel the items before you can buy them. First, obviously you want to look for stains or signs of damage. The, get a feel for the quality of materials. Is it thin? Will it wear out easily? Is this piece of clothing going to "survive" in a couple of years? I've gotten some very good coats from thrift stores that will last me a lifetime. But out of the few pieces that I did end of selecting, there were probably five times as many pieces that I initially picked up, but then rejected.

8. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I would and I have. :) But like someone said above, it really depends on the item. Some items are best bought new like underwear, shoes, and hats. The only exception to that rule is if it is vintage, very new, and/or very expensive at retail price. For example, if you found Manolo shoes in your size in perfect condition at a good price - run, don't walk. Grab it quickly before anyone else does.

9. oavani

oavaniNew Member

Threads:
    I always buy used clothing. I actually hate shopping for new clothes, and I make my living as a model! Of course, I also design and sew my own clothing as well.. I guess that helps out a bit. But in all honesty, there's nothing wrong with shopping at a thrift store. I've been to a ton of really radical ones in both NYC and New Orleans. (New Orleans being the best) You really have to search, though. I've found French designer dresses, metallic threaded Saris, Italian silk scarves and even a pair of knee high leather boots never worn! They still had an in-store price tag.

You never know what you'll find unless you look. It's pretty amazing, and fun.. especially if you know how to alter things yourself.

10. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that I would want to purchase used clothing especially since I don't know who it's from or what they did in them. Who knows if the person committed a murder while wearing them? I definitely wouldn't want to buy used underwear or bras for sure and I myself receive used clothing from my cousins but that's a different case. This is just what I think, many people do buy used clothing and that's their decisions.

11. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I've bought used clothing in the past, but it's not something I do frequently. One thing I don't think I could ever buy used (other than of course underwear) is shoes. I hate feet so I'd like my shoes to be worn ONLY by me.

12. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy used clothing often because I want clothes that will last. If the clothes are in really good condition and look brand-new, I'll but them. I don't see a problem with buying used clothes as long as the clothes are in good condition.

13. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    That's true clothes won't last too long if they are worn out. But if it looks excellent and it may have never been worn, maybe once, then I would definitely be interested in buying it. Of course there's a fine line because it could have holes and I would never want to buy something that looks like it's been worn before.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's funny how many people wouldn't dare buy used clothing, but they'll try clothes on in a store that's possibly been on hundreds of people already. not much different if you ask me... we all buy used clothing :p

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I have done that, what I did was I just soaked the clothes in hot water and then I soaked it in soap, then voila! It's now ready to be worn. The clothes were cheap, and they still looked decent, so I didn't mind buying it because I can just wash it thoroughly. I don't think I would want to buy 2nd hand shoes though.

16. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I never would. I couldn't stand the thought of wearing clothes that were not new from a shop. And no, I don't think them being washed makes it OK.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So you're the first to EVER wear all your clothes? Nobody has tried them on ever? You watched them unpack them straight from the factory? lol. As I said, almost all clothes are used.

18. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    You have a great point. The only difference would be the used symptoms of the clothes like torn parts or worn out colors. That's when I definitely wouldn't buy them, otherwise I wouldn't see a problem. Again thanks for your valid point!

19. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I would buy used clothing only if I knew where it was from. Receiving clothing from my family and friends is no big deal for me. Going down to a thrift shop though is out of the question for me.

20. UshaBecker

UshaBeckerMember

Threads:
    thats absoluetly fine here i liked it a lot and would say its awesome here