Would you ever consider grocery shopping online?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by brandon0818x • Jun 8, 2014.

1. brandon0818x

brandon0818xNew Member

Threads:
    Shipping is being improved all the time! Nowadays, you can order something and get it shipped within one day! With the Amazon helicopter machines, you could receive your products within a few hours! With this, would you ever consider grocery shopping online?

2. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    On occasion, I shop for groceries online at Safeway. They offer free delivery if you spend over $150 or charge you less than $10 otherwise. When I am extra busy or feeling under the weather, but can't forgo this activity, getting food in this way makes sense. However, in general, I prefer to go into a store and buy groceries. Why? It's the one way I guarantee myself a few excellent discounts.

safeway-delivery-2.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only food item I buy online is ice tea. The local stores in my area stopped carrying my favorite brand. Amazon sells it for less than I use to pay in the stores. But that's it. Amazon is getting into local grocery delivery. The service is called Amazon Fresh. I live in a test city. It's still not for me.

My sister who lives in Maryland shops online for groceries. She doesn't drive and has a busy work schedule so it really works out for her. She hasn't had any problems with deliveries.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, of course. Shopping online provides me great convenience and restrains me from possible hassle I might get queuing, parking and carrying stuff. It's also easier to just buy whatever you just need online because the destruction is less there, making you probably save more from not being tempted to buy anything from the grocery. The bad thing is you won't get to experience the freebies at the grocery like free tastes, and some.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I never tried even though we do have the same service in my town with one of our biggest store. I actually find it more expensive to shop for grocery online, they either will not charge you for shipping only if you exceed certain amount of spending or charge you for some if not.

I always prefer to go to the grocery itself to purchase products I need because I can physically see all the items before buying them.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind ordering for groceries online. There are some companies which deliver organic groceries to their customers and it's like the shipping is free because all you do is pay for the groceries themselves. Since they cost about as much as you'd pay for them at a store, why inconvenience yourself when you can have them delivered at your doorstep?

So for me, if the deal was good, heck, I wouldn't hesitate to buy groceries online.

7. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I've never actually shopped for groceries online. If I did, then I would only purchase foods that are in a box, like cereals and splenda sweeteners, I prefer to go into the grocery and handle my own food. The internet is making society pretty lazy and its taking a toll on our healths, that's another reason why I would prefer to go in myself.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I've only ever bought candy online before. I considered buying dry boxed goods (pasta, mixes, etc) before, from a site like Amazon, but it's always more expensive then what I could buy in the store! I do know that people who live in the city can order their groceries online and have them delivered straight to the door only a day or two later. Where I live, it makes much more sense to just go to the grocery store. I think our local chain one used to deliver, but stopped after a while. Something about people not paying? I dunno.

9. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Frankly speaking this the only thing that i won't buy online lol,Basically the reason behind it is when we buy grocery its normally according to our taste and brands that we bother and in malls we can rapidly change our decision and at the same time can make choice the way we want.

10. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I never had and I couldn't get to the shops for some reason I wouldn't. I know a few people that have and there has been complaints of them not getting the items they wanted and a cheaper alternative being given in its place without their permission and overall they weren't happy. I would just rather get it myself. Haha I don't even like my shopping bagged for me.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure, I've done it several times when I didn't have a car! I had my grocery delivered both from Walmart and Safeway before. They are both extremely convenient, have great delivery rates and you can pick sloths of time when they deliver so that you don't have to wait all day. They also have great return policies. If you order something and they didn't have it in stock, they will send a similar product for equivalent price (even if it's more expensive that what you ordered), and if you order something and don't want it at the delivery time they'll cancel without a problem. It's so convenient I miss it sometimes! But I also love going to the supermarket and taking my time checking the products.

12. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have done it and will continue to. It's not my first choice for grocery shopping but I can't argue with the convenience. I live in the middle of a city and the closest "real" grocery store is at least 15 minutes away. Getting in my car and dealing with city traffic can be a nightmare so I will happily pay $9.95 to have someone do it for me. I generally don't order produce or meats when online grocery shopping but I did once or twice and the quality was excellent. I am impressed by the time it seems the stores put into shopping for you.

13. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    Only on nonperishables would I consider getting anything that is food from online. Canned goods or vacuum sealed things are perfectly fine to order. However, I would be wary of the other stuff. It would be nice to get something interesting I've never tried before.
    Actually, my father recently ordered some kelp noodles from online. They were really nice and I think they helped me lose a bit of weight. I hope to get more of that in the future.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would but maybe only for certain items for now. Once they have perfected standardizing all items such as fruits and poultry packed in a safe way then I'd maybe consider doing all of my shopping online but for now I'd much rather just be able to check the quality myself. With the way everything has gotten more uniform nowadays though I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes more of a trend in the future since I'm very surprised already at how bananas and apples are being sliced and packed in a way that makes them seem safe for a long time.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Generally speaking, I prefer to do my shopping myself, so I can compare prices, check out new or comparable items to what I was planning on buying initially, and see the quality of stuff like fresh produce, to choose the best of the bunch. I would be worried that if I sent someone to go grab the items for me, they may just grab any old produce without searching for the best looking of each item. Same goes for meats, I usually try to look for the most inexpensive packs and check if it's actually meat or just a bunch of fat, gristle and bones.

I do think that grocery delivery is still a great idea, especially for elderly and disabled people who cannot get to the stores on their own - as well as those who are unable to drive in general for whatever reason. It's really costly to pay for a taxi driver to take you to and from the store and that money could be going towards actual groceries instead.

Some of our locally owned grocery stores have already been delivering groceries for several years now. I believe they do it for free on a per case basis though, mainly for elderly folks.

16. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I would consider it because I always feel lazy when the weekend comes and think about the grocery shopping that I have to do for the following week's food and toiletries supplies. It would totally be a great convenience, especially that I have a busy work schedule and the only times that I have free time is during the weekends, which I would like to save with watching movies and doing other stuff than grocery shopping. It's amazing how fast and convenient everything is nowadays, and I hope continued innovation will make life better and happy.

17. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I have once. My husband and I decided to order groceries from Walmart.com. You can pick them up now or have them delivered to your house. We had them delivered. I don't remember why we did it, I think we got a gift card for Walmart so we used it for groceries. But I wouldn't do it again, because I don't need to. It's nice to have that, but I feel like I'm being lazy or rude if I order them online. I can shop myself. But it's a great thing to have for people that need it or don't have time.

18. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I have experimented with buying groceries online. I bought a chocolate candy bar that was on sale and sugar free from amazon.com in summer time just to see what would happen. It arrived really quickly in one week and it was just a little melted for when I opened the wrapper it was solid, but had the look of when a chocolate was slightly melted on the left corner is all that was wrong. It came whole too which was so surprising to me for a candy bar that's great! I go to safeway.com and click away on specials and digital coupons. I guess online shopping is great for those who are home bound and most sites has free shipping like walmart and amazon.com when you purchase over some kind of amount. I think shopping onliine for groceries is okay. :)

19. Trisha Wagner

Trisha WagnerNew Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I would. I am a coupon junky. How would that work?

20. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would, but only for certain things. For example, I know that I would never want to choose fresh fruit and veg because I like to be the one to pick the exact items that I am getting. For other groceries that are packaged I don't think that it matters as much, so I would be more than happy to have it delivered to me with other people picking it. If you can get a good offer on delivery it might cost less than the fuel of driving to the shops, so it might be worth considering.