Would you ever purchase shoes from a second hand store?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by missbishi • Jan 2, 2015.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I'd be fine with buying shoes from a second hand store. Often times people donate items that are lightly worn or like new, shoes included. I've seen plenty of name brand shoes with light wear and tear at thrift shops. Its pretty common. I don't see why some people think they are above it.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Shoes? Most probably no, because it's shoes. Feet hygiene is very important for me. And since shoes aren't always get washed and not like clothes that you can wash frequently, I think they are the most personal and dirties, so they should be worn exclusively by their owners, especially those closed ones.Well, I think that it's gonna be more tolerable with the open ones, the practice of somebody else using it.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the shoes are in good condition do not show alot of wear and fit I would purchase the shoes. I have often found shoes that I know are high price like several hunreds of dollars in the second hand store at a very reasonable price. I have a hard to fit foot so I am always looking to find a shoe that will fit my feet and surprisely that has often been the second hand store. I clean the inside of the shoes with alcohol when I get them home before I wear them.

4. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Seeing as I wear a woman's size 11 (sometimes 12) in shoes, and I can almost never find that in a regular store, I probably wouldn't be buying from a thrift store. Since they won't have any! Also, buying shoes from a thrift store isn't really a great idea anyways. The shoes were broken into the shape of someone elses fit, meaning they're probably never going to fit you quite right.

5. guineapigsandgardens

guineapigsandgardensMember

Threads:
    I would definitely buy shoes from a second hand store. Some of the most comfortable pairs of shoes that I own have come second hand. I prefer shopping used for most of my clothing though. I am big into cutting back on waste and recycling, so any opportunity to save the environment, I will take.

6. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I know a friend who bought a pair of shoes in a thrift store, and it did not look like a bad idea. At any rate, it's not like his choice put me off or anything. But some psychological wall really makes me think that I would not buy shoes from someone I don't know, it just creeps me out a bit!

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like others have stated, if the shoes are still new or barely worn, I would buy them. Or, at least I have in the past, especially if I needed dress shoes to wear for one occasion or something like that. I always spray them out with disinfectant and let them air out first, or if I grabbed a pair that is washable, in the washer they would go. I don't see it as a big issue once they've been cleaned, as long as they aren't really worn, like worn into someone else's step.

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I have little problem with wearing used shoes, because I've done it all my life. However, I only purchase shoes that are still have good soles and do not have major tears and wears. The most usually used shoes I buy are boots, because those tend to get worn down a lot.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would never prefer to purchase shoes from second cheap no matter how good and cheap they are. I always prefer to buy good quality and little less expensive shoes. I think it is best to not try and waste your money on second hand shoes.

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought second hand shoes yet, but I really don't see anything wrong with purchasing them. If they still look good as new, then why not buy them? They are also cheap and affordable, it wouldn't hurt to spare some money on them.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've bought second hand shoes which were almost new. I spent half of what I'd have paid for them had I bought them new. Sometimes I suppose instead of looking at second hand items as being 'inferior' in a way, to save money if what you intend to buy is still in great condition, just buy it or them [talking about shoes, here].

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm also not so keen on second hand shoes. But if they're in their packaging and not worn at all, I'll buy them. Some of the charity shops in the UK are fantastic, you'd be amazed what gems you can unearth there :)

13. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    If there is a good pair and it fits me well, then yes. I can disinfect it with no problem and I will most likely be wearing it like any normal shoe. But good shoes are hard to find and it's almost impossible to find a right pair in a second hand store.