Would You Forgo Tipping Just To Save Money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by sidney • Oct 2, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Then if that's the case then the problem would be the server's attitude then. Maybe they work in an expensive restaurant so they expect to be tipped more? But even if that's the case, it's simply not right.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know - he was moaning because it seemed to him like a certain race were less likely to tip well, or tip at all, and he was ranting in the video about this. My stance of tipping has always been the same, so of course I did not agree with him. But he is certainly not the only person in the server business who just expects strangers to give away their money so that he can survive.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, I guess that's just the way it is in the States, they expect you to augment their income. It seems like we outsiders are the only ones that think it's not normal, but it's not our fault, since we are not from the US, lol.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have been told that I have a mindset of entitlement because I think the way that I do, and God forbid that you discuss this with someone who has or does work in the server business, or someone who is close to someone who is or has worked in the server business. I don't ever want to hear anybody who tips due to social pressure say that they are broke. It makes no sense.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sadly (and no offense to Americans), tipping has always been more of an American thing, where service is rewarded with gratuities in the form of payment. In the rest of the world it has caught on in some countries, but the idea is that a worker gets paid for a job and that is that. People may get bonuses or a Christmas party if a company does well, but because companies expect people to tip, companies deliberately pay low wages.

I used to go on trekking holidays and the Brits would tip averagely, and Americans would over tip. When I go to salons, some upmarket ones in the UK provide envelopes and one even asked me to tip before the service (Elemis) and I was uncomfortable tipping before I even had my massage. I did protest because I said I can't tip when I don't know if the service was good. The idea was to pay beforehand so clients could relax and leave, thus all had to settle their bill before the treatment, so I felt pressured to do so. Never again, because they did it in reception in front of everyone as well. I never returned there again.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, As can be seen in this thread, those who have worked or knows someone who have worked in the service industry are insistent that tips should be given, so I think that if we are in Rome then we should do as the Romans do, but don't smirk at my $1 "from the heart" tip, please, lol.

@Theo@Theo, That's new, paying and tipping even before the service is done? The service must be also crappy that's why you never came back!

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    I am not going to go to a different country and do something that will put my life in danger, but when it concerns money and peer pressure, and people expecting my money because of peer pressure, I will most definitely go to another country and not tip at all. From my accent, they will probably know that I am not famailiar with the custom anyway. But even if I sounded American I would not ti if I did not feel like it.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, I agree with your point, but I think if you're going to do that then don't come back in the same establishment that you went to, because they will remember you and you'll never know if they will tamper with your food, lol.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It was an upmarket salon/spa but I was taken back at how they just expected me to tip at the start. I was told that it suited clients so that they wouldn't feel stressed when they left. Personally I was against it, but I had to decide quickly as my appointment was due to begin. Instead it made me more on edge and less relaxed. It was a good treatment, but their tipping policy annoyed me as soon as I walked in. That's the only reason I didn't return and in London there are so many spas to choose from.

10. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    In certain places, it is okay not to tip because their paid at least the minimum wage, but in some places, they are only paid 2.00 per hour. The only way they make their money is through tips. That's somebody's livelihood. I only say this because I drive cab, and we get paid by what we make driving. There is no hourly wage. If we go home, and after paying our lease and for gas and for the car wash, and whatever other little odds and ends we need throughout the day, and we have made nothing, then guess what? They don't give us a paycheck. We only get paid from you and your tips. I can understand if you don't tip at a place where the person needs that tip to survive, but if you don't tip at places that only pay their staff 2.00 per hour, then your a butt hole because they could have been serving someone else, and you could have gone somewhere else. I guess that's the difference between someone who works in an industry that relies on tips, and someone who doesn't. We know, and you don't.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem is not the people who don't tip.. the problem is the company not paying you. THIS is the problem.. that people, whether they can afford to or not, whether they want to or not.. are considered terrible if they don't help pay the worker's wage. THIS day and age, when more people are struggling than not, it's still a thing to expect everyone, no exceptions, to pay more than what they ate, or more than where they were going. No matter their own income. It's not right and it's rude to put it on those who don't tip. Maybe that person everyone curses is making less than you? Maybe someone paid for that cab for them? You never know a person's situation and even if you did.. why is the finger pointed at the customer and not the employer? Maybe it's time for everyone in service to stand up and make a change.

To be honest, I never truly thought about it until now. It's "just the way it is" here and I'm usually the first to jump all over that lol.. but I never questioned tipping. I mean, my part in it.. I did question how waitresses were paid and of course the solution is always that we save the day with tips.

How many here tip EVERYone in low paying jobs? Why not??

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    Exactly. This is exactly my point. It is completely fucked up that people feel like they are entitled to fuck with your food if you don't give them free money. Your money. Absolutely freaking ridiculous.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While we are on the topic some New York eateries are stopping tipping and putting up prices instead to make it fairer.

It states that some servers in high end places were getting paid more than highly qualified chefs who don't get tips. Somewhere along the line that is wrong if a trained chef who works longer hours gets less pay at the end of the day than a bus boy.

Here is a guide to show US versus the rest of the world;

14. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    If I think that the service is good I will tip because I consider that to be fair, but if the service is bad I simply don't tip because they don't deserve it and I'll just keep the money in my pocket.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, That is just simply plain, immature behavior. Unfortunately, it's quite common in the US. Scary.

@Theo@Theo, Well, at least there is now some changes regarding that issue. I hope the candidates would consider making changes about that when they win in the next elections. I looked at the graph in Mashable, my country was not even in the list in Asia, lol!

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    What is scary is that human beings are highly adaptable. If you tell them or expose them to something enough times, it becomes normal or even acceptable, or... custom -_- Sadly, a lot of people are in support of tampering with the food of those who don't tip, or of those who tip poorly. Some feel entitled to mess with the food.

17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The point is @sidney@sidney is that the US is the only country (or the main one) that 'enforces' and expects this custom. You can see that in many other countries it is frowned upon (the premise is that the service should be good already and you should not need to tip). That's how the rest of the world works and sees things. Even in the UK most people just round up and if you don't tip, it's still okay. I had a friend who was a student and couldn't tip, so he wrote the server a poem and she loved it. Before you ask why he was out, students can go out and buy a cup of coffee!

18. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    That's a really nice gesture! Even if he could not tip he left something to express his gratitude for the service and many times that can count more than the tip in itself.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, True, just like in politics, once you become a politician you tend to see corruption as the norm. I don't think they have hidden cameras in the kitchen where they prepare the food, it would be nice if there were.

@Theo@Theo, A poem in place of a tip? That's quite odd, it might be mistaken as a sign of interest, lol. But if the waitress was cool with it then it's all good.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well, don't even get me started on those corrupt, satanic, murderous, sociopathic, pedophiles that we allow to run our lives and countries. I don't even know if evil it only takes hold of those people once they become politicians. I think it starts way before then. I could go deeper into the rabbit hole with this discussion, but I won't because I'd be here all day.