Would you help out another shopper?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Apr 24, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fine this means spending more but supposing you're behind the queue and the person in front of you [maybe an old guy who deserves some sympathy] doesn't have enough to pay for what they want to buy, would you help that person out?

p.s Should our saving goals get in the way of being kind/generous to someone who may be in need?

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have been know to toss a nickel to the person in front of me to speed up the line. This is usually the person going through their purse looking for change who refuses to break a bill. I am not being generous here but buying time for myself and everyone behind me in line. I have never encountered someone who doesn't have the money to pay but I would take a good look at their groceries before I decided to help out. If there were a lot of bad items (like cigarettes) in their pile, I would not help them. If it is an old woman who is a dollar short and appears to be trying to be frugal, I might. What I do see, and it is annoying to me, is the person who has the cashier ring up everything and is short thirty to 40 dollars. These people will start removing one item at a time until they can afford it. Meanwhile the rest of us wait.

Yes, our savings goals should get in the way. Being generous to the point where it makes us a future charity case makes no sense. Help yourself first.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind helping out someone who is short a couple of dollars, but generally I stay out of it. My policy is, if I can't afford the total price, then I simply remove one item. I don't see why others can't do the same. Of course, there are times when you just need to have a certain thing and being short 10 cents is really inconvenient. In those situations most senior cashiers put the items through anyway, as a few cents are neither here nor there when you considers how inaccurate their weighing scales are. It all balances out in the end.

4. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I have a rule: Help up to $1 but not for everyone and only for food items. I also follow my gut instinct.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it may just be a matter of using a shopper rewards card or coupon, which I don't mind sharing with another person. I have seen some instances where people may visit an upscale store with hopes of getting a freebie or two because they feel that the store or the people that shop there can afford it. I think most of us know in our gut when something's not right and people are trying to get over.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mostly agree with you. I think there's been a few times where I'd remove something . It's not a big deal even now that our food stamps are greatly lowered. I guess it helps that I eat like a bird and I really don't like a lot of the food at the grocery store anyway. However, maybe I am looking too hard at the big picture I tend to think "where do you draw the line?" If someone is short a couple of dollars, is it fair to help them and not the next person? Luckily, I've never ran into someone being short in the line so I haven't had to worry about that dilemma yet.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Uhmmm.. I never did that before, but I don't think I ever had that situation where a person needs a few extra to complete their payment. A couple months ago a woman in front of me in the supermarket line had a problem with her debit card because she didn't have enough to pay, but it was by card, so some change wouldn't have helped her. And even if she needed a dime I wouldn't have helped, because she was really rude to the cashier and mouthed off to a lady who was behind me and changed to a different line when she saw it would take longer than expected.
    What I have done before is to buy something to a homeless person who was close to a supermarket and asked me to buy them something. I bought a woman some diapers once and Oreos to a little boy looking for candy.

8. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    I'm with you when it comes to removing items and people buying things WAY over their budget is ridiculous. I never walked into the store without first finding out how much I can spend and then keeping track of everything I purchase. You buy the items enough and you'll also get the tax calculated into each item (at least quite close).

I haven't seen a situation where helping out was necessary. Most of the items they leave with the cashier is garbage they didn't need and they didn't seem to bothered to remove it from their charge. Had someone ever come to be directly, or if it was really obvious they wanted something, I'd chip in with no problem if it's a reasonable amount.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes, I have done this before.

And I'll be honest, I have also easily judged and not done it at other points, too.

What I mean is.... I have put in a few dollars to a mom who was trying to choose what to put back because she didn't have enough to cover the bill. She was picking through produce to try to put back some of the more expensive pieces (like a couple mangos).

On the flip side, though, I had no problem watching another mom try to decide between chips and convenience meals of which to put back at a different time. I don't have a problem with her buying those items, but I don't feel like it was a huge deal for her family to go without some chips either. And she could've made different choices if money was that tight.

10. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    How far does helping out go? If it is just some advice about a product or reaching the top shelves then that is not a problem. When it comes to the queues then am sure I will have to see that the other shopper has special needs before I let them to go ahead of me. But either way every body just have to wait for their time before they can be served. No special treatment.

11. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Often there is a penny tray for this, especially at fuel stations where the price is often £19.99 or £20.01 or something like that. So yeah I sometimes take a penny or leave one and I don't abuse it. Actually even on buses and shop I've given someone a few pence before to speed up the line and people have done the same to me. Often at places where I am a regular they will let me off two or three pence.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if the guy just needs a few cents then I would gladly toss a few on his way, but if it reaches, say a dollar or so, then I'll just wish him luck next time. Although it's quite annoying how some people would rather hold a line than break a bill.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I probably wouldn't because for all I know the guy might be richer than me and just really cheap. :D Unless I really know or have some idea on the person's background, including knowing that he really has nothing more in his wallet, then I'd gladly help out, but I don't think it would be polite to ask to see a person's wallet so I'd probably just stay out of it unless it were only a small amount. I have done this in the past, though, but it was for a train ticket and I only topped off the amount that the person in front of me needed, and even then I'd have to admit that it was partly because I just wanted the line to move along.

14. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    Well I'm a college student so I'm not rich, if its something like a dollar or less than maybe, anything more than that the person obviously knew they wouldn't be able to afford it. I mean come on, I have little patience for people who come to the line with a bunch of stuff they can't afford. When I can't afford something guess what? I don't go to the store!!!

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If he wants to be. If he asks for it, I would help him without having hard feelings. But I will not volunteer to help him. I don't consider myself well off, and I can help him, be kind and generous in some other ways, and not only by paying for the things he wants but he cannot afford.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if it's a small amount like 50 cents then I might help the needy person. But if it's a dollar or more then I might pass. I'm wary of helping strangers out, although if it's a friend then I wouldn't mind.

17. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I believe generosity should be first. Even if it hurts the budget a little. I really believes it touches peoples lives, plus when others see it it helps restore a little piece of humanity. I have fed the homeless, bought them groceries, and I promise you I don't have much extra money to spend.

I have also helped people out at the grocery store. If someone is in line in front of me and can't afford something I will buy it for them if I can. There were times that I really had no more money. I felt awful not being able to help them. I have also done it at restaurants like Taco Bell or McDonalds. If that happened to me I'd want someone to be kind because it is an embarrassing situation.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've given small change to a person in line ahead of me because they were short by a small amount. I didn't really judge what they were buying, I just noticed that it was a tiny old lady. I think old people are adorable and I felt sorry for her,so I gave her some change. No big deal.

19. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I have done this before and I do not mind if I have the money to do it.
    For me this has nothing to do with wanting to get out of the queue asap.
    I just like heling people if I can.
    And you know it has happened to me before that I miscalculated my groceries and was short with a couple cents and the next person paid. Not everyone does this but I surely appreciate those who do.

20. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    This happens often enough in the shopping outlets in my country. It's a standard thing for shoppers to help out other shoppers to a certain extent if needs be whether they may be young or old.