Would You Keep A 'flawed' Electronic Item?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Flowerpower • Mar 2, 2015.

1. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    My cellphone fell to the ground a few days ago and got a crack on the screen, it hasn't impaired the functionality of the phone just the appearance. It might seem strange but I think it gives my phone 'character' and I don't intend on fixing it any time soon. Anyone else have a flawed electronic device they intend on keeping?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd rather not spend money replacing electronic items which works perfectly well even if it's "flawed" in any way. I'd only want to change broken screens, etc, etc if I intend to sell the phone/electronic item to someone. Otherwise if I am the one using it, then until the day it stops working, I'll still keep the phone or whatever it is. But even then I'll try to get it fixed first before I replace it.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a cracked Xbox 360 controller but it still works, so I'll keep it until it dies.
    I don't like looking at flaws but I'm not going to replace a working item just because it doesn't look good.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The handle has cracked off the door of my refrigerator but as it still works fine, I refuse to replace it. It's not the end of the world after all and I can certainly manage.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    If it's still able to function properly I see no reason not to use it. I have a laptop with a non-functional monitor, everything else works great. I linked it to my TV so now I can stream stuff easily onto my TV without the need for any TV boxes. Obviously I don't intend on disposing it anytime soon.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I don't currently own any "flawed" gadget/equipment. But if I ever I have one, I would still keep it, as long as it works pretty good. I'm not really into that habit of disposing items easily just because they got a little crack or something like that.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well if it works fine, I wouldn't replace it. I'd keep it and use it till it finally packed up before replacing it lol I couldn't afford to, anyway.

8. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Hey, if its sitll working why not keep using it. I would probably do the same thing myself. I am a person who believes that as long as something is working as it should no matter what shape its in continue using it. I guess I learned that from my father, he was someone who would use an item especially an electronic till it would work no longer, no matter what problems he may have been having with it. I use to get on him about having this philosophy when I was younger, but the older I got the more I understood it.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I crack a phone screen, then I'll put up with it as long as the crack is smooth to where I won't get cut or scratched or something like that. It's a little annoying, but it's not the end of the world when cosmetic damage occurs to electronics. These things are easy enough to ignore compared to spending hundreds to replace a given device.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely not mind keeping the phone as a little scratch or a crack is something that I an used to. I am not rich enough to keep changing my electronic stuff every time and is definitely not helpful in that manner. I would definitely keep such things and never try to do anything as waste them.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have lots of electronics that have gone way pays their lifespan but I still use anyway. I have a laptop with a broken screen and I just attached a computer monitor to it and now it serves as some sort of makeshift desktop computer to me. It does the job enough for me not to notice it but of course I'd still like something new if I could afford it.

12. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    As long as it is still working properly and safe to use, I would keep an electrical item. I will say that I don't go to dollar stores to even pick up an extension cord. I thinks some of their products are pretty cheaply made in China or who knows where and it just isn't worth it sometimes to cut corners with electrical items. If my house gets set on fire because I used a cheap extension cord to try to save a buck, that won't be much consolation. One has to use some wisdom and common sense. Sometimes not paying the cheapest price is the best way to save money.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ha, you just brought a smile to my face. Your cellphone has a scar or a wrinkle now that gives it a more personal character. ;) My phone screen also cracked about a year ago. I never bothered about replacing it. It works just fine, and I don't even notice the crack anymore. Actually, over the year it has grown two small side cracks from the main crack, so that it appears like a tree branch. I like it the way it is. :)

14. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what electronic device it is. If it was just a cellphone with just a crack, then I cannot see the reason to replace is as long as it is still working just fine. The same thing can be said about headphones or computer speaker. However, if it was heavier equipment like toaster, fridge, etc, I would be more worried simply because those equipments have greater risks of fire or electrocution. I remember my electric oven that fell on the ground electrocuted me after I plugged it in.

15. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would keep it because it is only flawed and besides it still work. If the electronic is totally damage I would still keep it because there are some parts of that electronic that still function. It's possible to re-use the parts that are functional. I'm all for finding multiple ways to get the most bang for my buck.

16. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Well "flawed" is a very broad term. Let's say I have an electronic device that's broken and it has a performance issue, then I'm gonna replace it with a spare until I get it fixed. If I don't have a spare then I'll get it fixed asap.

On the other hand, when the only thing that's broken is related to the aesthetic end then I can manage to wait till I acquire the resources to have my device fixed. A shattered screen won't affect me much but a fast draining battery would.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes of course I will. I have a bunch of cosmetically flawed items and I still keep and use them, at least they still serve their purpose, unlike some of my bricked cellphones that won't turn on at all.

18. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't have any problem with a flawed electronic as long as I didn't spend all too much on it (then I'd get it fixed). Like my phone here has some scratches on the screen and a back panel that I can't disable, along with someone hardware issues (and outdated software, Android 4.2). But it was a cheap $200 Chinese phone (Kolina K100+). So as long as it does it's job, I'll keep it until I can afford something better. Same with my laptop, it has some issues after 3 years but it still does its job (Inspiron 5520).

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am cheap and I do not make a lot of money. So when something happens to one of my devices, I keep it until it no longer actually works? There is no point in throwing away a flawed device, when it still essentially does the job that you want it to do.

My phone's top has cracked, where the power on button is situated, but it still works. So I will keep the phone.

20. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I completely agree especially since I don't have a lot of money anyway. I have for example a tons of CDs that have completely destroyed cases but I still keep the CD because the case does not matter. I just end up putting them in a combo circular case. I think if we replaced everytime we had a cosmetic issue we'd be spending a lot of money. Electronic devices are bound to have wear after using them.