Would You Opt For Public Transport

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by iamawriter • Oct 31, 2017.

1. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    The durable solution for the traffic problem is using public transport. There are many benefits of using public transport, for examples:
    saving money: it cost less to ride on a bus than drive your car
    saving fossil fule: by using priate transport you will be consuming more fossil fuel
    solves traffic problem: the root cause of traffic problem is too many private vehicles.

2. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I opt for public transport any time because it is cheaper and saves a lot of hassles of finding a parking space which is a big nightmare in all the cities. It also reduces pollution but the only annoying thing is that it is time consuming as public transport buses never run on time and are too crowded.

3. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @onliner@onliner This is exactly my point on how the government can curb pollution that comes from traffic and congestion of our today. Only directing the technology improvement in the the car automobile sector to be electronic based as it source of power would be the final chip in putting an end to car/air pollution.

Although, there are certain disadvantages which may come with electric car which could be issue of hackers. If the core of cars aren't built with strong firewall to repel any hackers intrusion, people's safety might be at a perilous state.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I ride only public transportation now, that I'm a Senior Citizen. I've need for both public and private transportation. I've lost my Mother she passed in July and she is buried in a cemetery that doesn't have public transportation to it. The bus locally goes only to the main highway leading to the cemetery and the way to the cemetery is over a mile long. My cousin took me to the funeral and burial, so that wasn't a problem, but now visiting and bringing flowers to my Mother's grave is a big problem without a car. Taxi would cost with tip about $34.83 one way, so it's a very expensive thing to ride taxi's and I don't trust UBER or other transportation. So you see I need both public and private transportation. I have to rely on my relatives for transportation from time to time and they bring me to where I need to go, where there is no buses. Taxis are expensive, too expensive for my taste and pocketbook. As I get older, I wonder what will be my mode of transportation. Riding the bus locally I have found that the bus system is very good, except for now. There is no bus to the cemetery at the moment and none in the works. So it's like onliner said, there is advantages and disadvantages for both. With public transportation with good systems it's a good deal getting around with it, but it doesn't go everywhere you need to go to.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure if I would depend entirely on public transport but I can assure you that I use it as much as possible. For instance I go to my work city rail as it is more trouble free and gives me enough time to think about my strategies for the day. The fact that I would spend almost as much on fare as petrol but the peace of mind while traveling in a train is far greater than anything else. However I still use my car for different purposes. Back in my country I use my bike as well my car since it's almost impossible to reach to desired destination due to heavy rush.

6. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Lol, that image!!! With that much traffic I guess no transportation is better than walking. Lol. I mean someone can reach to place faster by walking compare to any vehicle in that much traffic.

But I guess day by day traffic is increasing. Two wheeler can do well. But yes other will surely make it slow. Pubic transportation is having their own advantage but I would surely not like to stuck in such heavy traffic.

7. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Sooner or later there would be no other go as if everyone owned cars then the bumper to bumper situation would soon be a reality. making travel a nightmare. However public transport sure needs a make over.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When I said I would prefer using my own car or motorbike while in India I meant that public transport is so overcrowded that it becomes impossible to board at times so I would rather use my own vehicle. However at times the roads are so crowded that one has to start early to reach to your destination at time. Really, we are reaching to a stage when walking would be the only option left.

9. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Someone was asked if they could be given a lift to which they answered saying they would prefer walking as that would be faster. As of now public transport needs to be improved to make it a people's choice but sooner or later one would have no option. This bumper to bumper traffic will paralyse movement

10. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    As of now public transport is quite inconvenient but sooner or later something needs to be done to make it viable for people to use it as owning cars may not work after all as they will not move. The image above is proof of that (lol)

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In India perhaps the area I live in the NCR is most congested with highest number of 4 wheeler anywhere in India. I live in a nearby satellite town which is only 60 km away from Indian Capital New Delhi but it takes all of 3 hours traveling to or from during peak time. However we shall soon be connected with metro and Rapid rail which will be a turning point for commuters of this area as number of us go to Delhi every day. Some of us work in Delhi and live in satellite towns or vise versa.

12. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes as we are seeing increasing in more and more traffic, I guess that's the only option will left for us. Not for whole day but in rush hours traffic is already crossing all the limits, I wonder what is the solution of it and where it is going?

Yes it is increasing without any limit. I wonder when it will be stop or there is any solution. Surely walking is more good in rush hours than any transportation.

13. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Rail travel seems the only solution provided they increase the speed and also the number of trains. There is a move to introduce bullet trains but travelling by bullet trains is expensive and may not meet the needs of the common man.

14. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I have calculated the cost of owning a vehicle and resorting to taxis or auto rickshaws where there is no public transport. The latter seems cheaper and less of a bother. This provides earning for these guys too.
    There is however the problem for seniors to climb a bus. Here the climb is pretty high.

#34Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2017
  15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Bullet train is something different which does not cater to common man's need for traveling short distances. Bullet train is neither economical nor it fulfills the need of daily passengers for work purpose. We are going to have Metro train in our area and rapid rail which stops at every station but their capacity, pickup and stopping is far better that saves time for daily commuters.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :confused:The knee for using public transportation though cheap you've got to walk and walk and walk. With that walk, we carry our purchases. I bought a Trolly Dolly a nice little push cart on wheels, that makes the walk easier than there is the climb on and off the bus. So not only the knees the shoulders and arms and hand goes through a lot when riding public transportation. We are getting our exercise and then some, lol...plus we are elderly. Luckily we can ask our bus driver for the handicap lift to make things easier going on and off the bus we ride. The most recent walk, I have got to take or pay a taxi 35.00 plus tip one way to the cemetery, is a bit too much for my budget...walking the 2 miles into the cemetery is something I'm going to think about or ask my cousin to take me once a year on Mother's Day to put flowers on my Mother's grave. She, my Mother knew about the long way into the cemetery so she said to me before she passed go to church to put flowers at our nich in the church for our ancestors. But I still like to bring flowers to her grave, but now I just don't know about the long walk in to the cemetery:( .
    My trolly dolly is brown.
    51iVPxA97nL.

17. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I like this idea of a trolley for your purchases as not only does it remove the load off your shoulder they act as props while walking Walking is good exercise but one must avoid the intense sun which I am sure you are aware of. Happy walking.

#37Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  18. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    This bullet train topic is quite hot here with the Opposition that has condemned it for the same reason that you have mentioned. Our present government is all after name and fame disregarding the poor and the middle class. Soon that will be their undoing.

19. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:

:)I wear sun block spf 50 that I got at Walmart, for it's the cheapest and the strongest sun block I found after window shopping for it. It's not gooey like lotions, but effective. I had sun burns before using it and I'm the type that burns easily, lol. So I'm quite happy with my sun block. Living in the tropics we need it. My eye doctor says, as we age we need more to wear our sun glasses. Got to start younger for keeping your eyes and skin in good condition and stay healthier. Thanks.

20. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    As they say if there is a will there is a way. If everyone is pro active they will certainly consider opting for public transport as that will certainly ease the situation and make living a joy. What good is a private vehicle when it does not serve the purpose.