Would you pay for an ebook?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by dieselfit • Nov 30, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    These kinds of things are easy to find over the internet. Ebook are everywhere and they might even be offered for free where some places would charge you full price. I know some people would pay for the ebooks because they genuinely want the book but if you could just download it without paying, would you do it?

2. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what kind of the book it is. I will buy the e-book version if it is written by my favorite author, and if the bookstore doesn't have the physical copy of the book. I sometimes don't want to wait for the physical copy, especially when I read from series to series.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most e-books which are supposedly free, are actually pirated copies of books which are on sale elsewhere. Except for a few e-books which are primarily made for promotion purposes [for example a web-site or some product] all e-books are supposed to be paid for.

So for me, if it's a book I can't obtain legally free on sites such as Gutenberg then most definitely, I'll buy it.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Especially if it's a "how to make money online," ect... type book I would first try and find a similar ebook for free (which of course would not be that hard to find). Why pay for something when you can get it for free?

5. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I would pay for an e-book if it were written by my favorite author. Otherwise, I am old-school. I still prefer reading paper books.

Plus, going to the library (free), checking out a book (free), and returning it (free) - doesn't cost me a dime.

6. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Free sounds great! The problem with those is that sometimes the book is so popular that it is taken out so often that I may not find it in stock. This happened to me so many times when I was younger but these days I don't go to the library like before. Nowadays I prefer to download e-books, print them and read them on paper. I don't like using my computer screen for reading because I'm already on the computer so much that it would just strain my eyes.

7. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I would pay for an e-book. I've bought a few in the past. But I do prefer the paper-back kind. There's something about being able to hold a book and smell it. I've also downloaded free e-books online. So, I guess I'm open to all methods.

8. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with you, SpringBreeze. Nothing can ever replace a physical book. You can smell it, see it, and best of all, you'll have a shelf or a visual look of all the books that you have. It is much easier to flip the pages and read off the paper rather than a electronic screen. I would still read e-books but books can never be replaced!

9. himalipatel

himalipatelMember

Threads:
    It depends on the which kind of the book that is. if that books requirement for permanent or it is my favorite and if its chargeable then i will surely pay for the ebook.

10. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, yeah, I have paid for eBooks in the past. I had varying reasons for purchasing the eBooks. There were times when I was just hypnotized by the sales page, there were times that I just really needed the eBook, and there were times that I needed to purchase them in order to get a rebate that was much higher than the actual purchase price of the eBook. So like himalipatel said, it depends.

11. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the book, I like to download paper books because it so much easier and convenient at that moment, I can download alot of my favorite books and have them ready to read whenever I ready. So yes I kinda say it a yes I would like downloading them verse going to the store looking for them or waiting on them to come out or being hit with they are sold out

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never bought an ebook, since I can get them all for free. In fact, I prefer ebooks rather than books, because books can be costly, and they take up too much space. I would only pay for an ebook if I can't find a free version of it.

13. bigboss25

bigboss25New Member

Threads:
    I would always purchase an e book even if there was a way for me to get it for free on the internet.

I personally wouldn't get a free e book from the internet because of the fact that you are going to be required to download it.

I am always afraid that someone would give me a virus along with the free e book that is being sold everywhere.

When it comes to free e books on the internet, these are a few things to ask yourself:

Why is this website giving away this e book for free when this is being sold everywhere else ?

Is the website owner giving this book away because they already read it and they are just that "kind" ?

I am not saying that the website that you would get it from would contain a virus, that is just the way that I think. I am too afraid to download them.

It's probably a few cool people and reputable websites out there that really do want to give away an e book that they have already read without trying to harm your computer or anything like that.

I just wouldn't take chances on downloading a free e book that is being sold everywhere else.

The only way that I would download a free e book is if this marketing genius or some other guru created a cutting edge money making program that I was really interested in.

When it comes to these free e books, they are being given to you for free because they eventually reel you in so that you can buy their full program or membership.

This at least makes me feel better about why they are giving away their free e book, plus I know that they are the ones that created it.

The only way that I would accept an e book that is being sold everywhere is if I knew a close friend that had the book, and asked them to email me a copy of it.

14. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't pay for an ebook, they are indeed found easily online, some libraries offer free rentals of the ebooks as well. I would definitely purchase a physical book though, nothing beats the feeling of holding a physical book in your hand and curling up on a sofa reading. This is sort of like buying songs from itunes versus downloading it for free off the internet, I guess it depends on the person and whether or not they'd support the person.

15. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    Of course I pay for ebooks. They are just as much books as any other book. The same time goes into writing and editing an ebook as goes to writing and editing a normal book (actually it's the same process). The only cost that should be less is that you don't have to pay for the paper and printing.

16. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would pay for an e-book if I couldn't find it for free. I have found some books free online, but other simply aren't there. From that point on I have a choice to buy a regular book (used books are really cheap) or to buy an e-book and print it, probably I'd go for the real book...

17. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    I'll pay, but only in one of two cases: 1. I have absolutely no other choice and there is no way of obtaining a physical copy (from bookstores, library, or borrowing it off a friend). or 2. I'd like to support the author by buying the book but I'm not interested enough to find a print version

18. WeDontSleep

WeDontSleepNew Member

Threads:
    I'd pay for an ebook just to support the author. I mean he/she spent his/her time to write something that I will probably enjoy reading very much, I must give something back. Pretty sure nobody would want their hard work unappreciated.

19. GottDeals

GottDealsNew Member

Threads:
    I'll completely agree with Denis on this one. Grateful that there are a few people on this board that feel as strongly as I do about the subject. Denis may have different reasons than me (I don't know). There was a time that I used to pirate everything under the sun, but those days are long gone thank God.

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would definitely pay for an ebook, as a matter of fact I have paid for several. You can actually find most ebooks online for free for download, but I don't think it's fair that the person who wrote it doesn't get anything from others reading their books. The only thing is I think ebooks should be cheaper, as they don't have all the cost with paper, print, publishing and shelf space. They are often the same price as the paper version, and I don't think that should be the case.