Would You Pay To Watch New Movies At Home?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Dame6089 • Jun 21, 2016.

1. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    Hypothetically speaking, how much would you pay if you could rent film for new movies in order to watch them at home? This would allow you to watch brand new movies without having to find a seat in a crowded theater and spend money on concessions. I'm thinking I would pay around $50 for this, but I could go higher depending on how many people would be watching with me. For huge movies sometimes it just isn't worth going to the theater until weeks later because it will be so crowded.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would pay only around $30 or less and not much more. I'm not too sure but I think for the price of $50 average you could already get a pay per view event of any sport and those usually yield four hours or more of enjoyment whereas movies usually only last a couple hours on average. Also gush maybe that's also because cinema prices here are very varied and we can choose to watch movies at a lower price when we want so I'm a bit spoiled with the prices as we can seta a family of five on a cinema without snacks for around $20 if we go for the really cheap seats which is still fairly alright. I think $50 is somewhat fair but I'm just not sure I'd be willing to pay that much watching at home when I can spend it on a cinema with a bigger screen and even have enough leftover for snacks.

3. Jannatul Ferdous

Jannatul FerdousMember

Threads:
    I am not much interested to watch movies at home at all, as watching movies in theater give a option to go out and enjoy in different place. I would pay only $20, if hypothetically I have to watch it at home.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's a subscription service that lets me watch new movies the day they are released then I'd be willing to pay no more than I would for any streaming service. For me if must be honest, it doesn't really matter if I watch a movie a year after it is released. It'll still be the same movie at that time only it will be cheaper if you are buying the DVD.

So no more than $20 for a one month subscription. For one movie? $0. I'd rather wait.

5. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    There are some of the paid services that give you a movie in a very decent quality. However, free downloading is still pretty strong and most people would just prefer downloading the stuff for free over paying or even going out to a movie theater. I never paid to watch a movie online. However, I've downloaded some paid content. It was more of an educational thing.

6. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I'd rather pay to watch in the theater. There's just a different feeling of anticipation when you're about to watch a movie on a big screen with other people around. It's more fun to watch them with strangers sometimes. When I have a little extra, I'd go watch a movie at the theater to relax.

7. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    Interesting that most people aren't interested in watching new movies at home. It would have to be sometime I really wanted to see, but I could really see myself paying for the convenience factor. I hate being stressed to get to the theater on time to get a good seat. And the worst is when you sit next to someone who talks or is smelly. But I can understand why people would not want to spend all that much.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have disposable income so at this point probably no more than a few dollars, however, under normal circumstances...hmmm...probably no more than 15 or 20 dollars. I mean part of the experience is seeing movies on a big screen. I wouldn't pay a lot to watch them at home when I can rent a Redbox movie.

9. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I think I would still go see some of the movies in the theater even if I had this type of subscription at least once in a while. Certain movies are just better on the big screen. I would not want to pay a lot for this type of service a month though so I probably would not pay more than $30. Less would be better. Of course, if it was for more than just movies then that would be better too.

10. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    I would but most reports have a approximate charge set at $50 and that's a bit much for me, if there was better options for rewatching then renting or going to the theater again then $50 would be great. I don't feel bad when I buy a single ticket, but when I want to watch a movie for a second time in theaters it's hard to be convinced it's worth it.

11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    If it's a movie that I really look forward to then there's a high chance that i will pay to see it as soon as i can but then just thinking about how accessible movies are online nowadays and how fast some people upload clear decent copies to stream online, i think i can wait and just watch it for free. I know this is not legit but hey if it's available online for the taking, i'll take advantage of it.

12. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I would pay $20 to see 3 new movies a month at home. I used to enjoy going out to the movie theaters, but not so much any more. I find that the sound in the cinema is uncomfortably loud for me.

13. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    I honestly love watching movies at home. You know what's better than going to a Cinema to watch the latest movie, wathicng the latest movie at home. I enjoy the comfortable setting where I can set up the couches and pillows the way I like. Plus, I can pause the movie whenever I wish and go and get whatever I need. Plus, I can buy all the snacks and drinks I want without having to worry about sneaking anything in. Great memories as well!

14. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    I would love such a service! Usually I never watch popular and newly released movies at the theater because I hate the noise and the crowded rooms, so unless I really want to watch the movie I prefer waiting until I can buy the DVD.

I would gladly pay double the price of a cinema ticket to watch the same movie at home, in full comfort and whenever I like, maybe in my pijama and eating whatever I like. I would even buy a monthly subscription for this kind of service, but I think that it would kill the theater industry, since it's already in a bad spot after the spread of Netflix and similar services, like the Pay Per View television.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I probably would, but not as much as I would pay to go to the actual movie theater. Going to the movies is a fun and social event, so you are not only paying for the movie you are paying for the experience. You sit on that big room, with comfy chairs, a huge screen and your popcorn and soda. At least that is my experience usually. As most movie theaters are inside malls, earlier or later we walk around the mall. So yes, I would pay to watch the movie at home but much less, since I would only be paying for the movie and not the full experience.

16. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    no that's not my thing but I tried to download some free apps and taste it

17. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I would still go the the theater because it's not just about watching the movie. When new movies come out, it's a good time to connect with everyone else who also has interest in it. Going to the theater feels really good, being there and hanging out with people is fun.

I would never pay that much to watch a movie in my home, even if it was free, I would still want to get out of the house and go to the theaters. When it's crowded, as long as I get a seat then I really don't care. I sit on the edge anyway so that I don't have to worry about passing through people.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, VCD rentals were pretty cheap when we were availing it around 2007 to 2008. I think they were less than $1 per disc in Video City, but those films were not that new. But honestly, piracy is so rampant here that I will just buy a pirated blue-ray DVD or download movies online than rent it.

19. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I love going out to the movies. However, I wouldn't mind catching a new movie at home from time to time, so I wouldn't mind paying a monthly subscription of $20.

20. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well, to be honest I have never thought of this, but it would be nice. I am pretty sure that I am the type of person who can wait, though, so I would not really be able to pay a lot more than I would have to pay months down the road when it is not new. That said, though, there might a couple of movies that come out that I would not want to wait for, so I would say maybe $20? That sounds reasonable I suppose, especially f you can get some friends together and split the cost.