Would you rather buy a cheaper Generic TV or a More Expensive Brand Name TV?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Scottf13 • Mar 12, 2014.

1. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    The generic TV and Brand name TV would be similar in capacity. Both of these devices have equivalent features and overall quality. Do you buy the better known model with a higher price tag, or do you go with the less expensive model that you've never heard of before?

I like to buy lesser known products and give them a shot. They might be a well known name somewhere other than my little corner of the world. Who knows, they might even be considered a good company.

2. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Similarly to you, I like to test gadgets, to see their natural performance, despite price tag and advertising.
    Recently I bought a cheap TV named Orion, full HD, able to synchronize to a computer too. For the moment, I`m satisfied with it, honestly I spend little time at home, so my TV habits are limited, so I didn`t have time to see all that it`s able to do.

3. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    It is good to try different ones because sometimes the cheaper ones are just as good as the more expensive ones in certain situations. I had an old tv that I got back in 2003 and just replaced it last month with a brand new Samsung. I felt like after all that time I deserved something of good quality and a little more expensive.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would rather buy a branded and more expensive tv, because based from my experience, they can last up to a decade or more, basing from the tv's that we have used in our household. They needed some repairs, but after the repair, they were fully functional again. I would probably buy a cheap tv if I already have a branded tv, since the cheap tv will be used as a spare or "backup" tv.

5. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    TV's are so cheap nowadays that it would be a bad decision to save even more and buy a generic brand. Especially on the smart TVs. It's better to buy a TV with some support available like the Samsung TVs.

6. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    ALways go for quality my friend in anything that you buy. I would go for a pricey brand new TV which am sure will last way longer than what you will be buying a generic TV. All cheap things have a way of disappointing you so go for something that has quality of brand.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Quality. Its what counts the most. You can buy a really cheap TV but you don't know how durable it is. Some TV's can last for 20 years, others are just 2. Sometimes you have to invest more on the quality because in the long run, it can save you more money, compared having to buy one with a crappy quality which breaks every 2 years, then you have to buy another one, its a vicious cycle. Always choose quality.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have all Vizio TV's currently, and they work just fine for my needs. I don't need the most expensive top of the line television with all of the bells and whistles, because almost everything I watch on my TV I downloaded from the internet - the video quality isn't the highest to begin with, so there is no advantage of a higher model TV to watch it.

I wouldn't but the cheapest of the cheap brands though, because they at least need to last me a little while. I don't want to waste $250 on a "cheap" TV only to have it die on me in less than a year, when the $325 model from a better brand will last me several years.

Plus, some of the more expensive features in TV's these days aren't even gaining any traction. Remember the whole 3D craze from a few years ago with TV manufacturers? Most people weren't interested and now the TV companies are ditching those products. So those that shelled out the extra money for them are stuck with a TV that has technology that is now obsolete.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Quality of the product counts the most for me. Brand name stuff is generally nicer, but I've encountered TVs where the picture was absolutely fantastic on some off-brand generic TV.

I like to weigh price/quality when making a big purchase like a TV. As far as knowing what's quality or not, that's all about doing some research beforehand.

10. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    How about both? :p I have a Brand Name TV in my living room since it is the one I use the most. I however also have a cheaper generic one in my room. I normally connect my PC to it when I feel like watching a movie from my bed or just don't feel like getting out of my room :p

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For electronics, I usually get well known brands. I'm afraid to get unknown brands because I don't know how long they will last. This week I finally got a smart tv after still having those box tvs that was archaic... I bought it from LG after hearing great things about it. I was getting a Samsung, but LG was better at price and had a feature Samsung didn't. But as both are well known brands and my mom has had her LG tv for a long time now with no problems, I got that one. I'm really excited and can't wait for it to arrive! I think it's worth to pay a little bit extra when it comes to electronics.

12. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    If they are the same quality then of course. However that is rarely the case when talking about TV's. Panosonic Plasmas, Samsung LED's etc. will always have the best picture on their higher end models that most knock off brands can't match. These type of TV's are good for the home theater enthusiasts. That doesn't mean I don't buy the cheaper TV sets too. I don't see a need to have a expensive TV in my rooms so I have a emerson in my room and a bigger more expensive Panasonic downstairs in the Theater room. So I guess it depends on what it will be used for in my case. I'd rather go with the more expensive, name brand TV unless I won't be using it that much then I will get a decent one with a cheaper price.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard a lot about some of these generic TVs. I'm not saying that they won't work as well as a brand name TV but since the higher-priced brand name TVs come with warranties just in case . . . to be on the safe side, I'll go for the more expensive model because they're willing to back up the quality of their product with better warranties.

14. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I will always choose by price rather than name brand. I know some people are very brand loyal and stick to that brand, especially when it comes to electronis. I have had both name brand TV's and ones that I have never heard of and I really can't tell the difference.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like to buy somewhere in the middle., specifically, generic or Chinese brand products that have become popular. The ones I avoid the most are the extremely obscure ones but even the. I'd still give it enough consideration if I find enough good reviews of it online. Most of the time though I find that the good reviews are with the more popular products. If I really wanted to make sure then I'd just go with a real branded product but I find that getting something midrange isn't too risky as long as you do enough research.

16. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I would like to land somewhere in the middle like a lot of the other users if I had the choice, but if it were between the two and only the two I think that I would end up going with the cheap one because that is just who I am. I do not tend to think about the long term, and I think that I would be okay in tvs, but maybe not a computer or something more intricate.

17. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our very first tv is a portable 12-inch Nivico brand. It can be likened to people's car that is cheap and in black and white. When we bought our second tv, my husband said that we can invest on a good brand. We bought a 17-inch Sony colored tv. It was really good and that tv lasted more than 10 years before we bought another one that is of a cheap brand which lasted for less than 5 years. Now our tv is the 40-inch Samsung in the bedroom and another 40-inch Sharp Aquos. Those expensive tv are worth the cost in terms of quality and prestige.

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There have been plenty of TV's that family members have had, as well as out own household, over the years that I had not heard of before. I mean, you always get the common popular brands, and we had those in certain rooms too. But there were definitely no name, or less popular branded televisions in our home, even with the smart televisions these days. I received one for my birthday and had not ever heard of the brand, only yo find out that it was actually quite a popular brand. I just had never heard of ti.

19. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends. If I am buying something just for a side-gig, I probably would buy a cheaper TV. Not that I have watched much tv recently. i watch most shows online, but I still like to plug in my hdmi cable into a big screen tv and watch online content like that.

However, I have been thinking about buying an extra flat screen. The cost of the old lcds and leds has really dropped now that newer leds and oled tvs have made it to the market. I found one for less than $100 retail yesterday. Maybe I'll buy one, try it out and let you know.

20. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I will go for a brand name TV any day. Our old Sony 32" TV lasted over 15 years. The only reason we got rid of it was we remodelled our living room and we finally broke down and bought a flat screen TV. This time we are trying out a Samsung TV. We are so far very pleased with the quality of a Samsung TV. We've also learned that if you buy a TV from Costco they will add a 1 year warranty to each TV. We were just able to use that warranty, our Samsung got wet and we called Samsung and Costco and they told us we had the extra one year. Our TV was fixed for free. The repair told us had this happened after the warranty had expired it would be too costly to fix and we would have had to buy a new TV! Thank goodness for warranties.