Would you rather buy a cheaper Generic TV or a More Expensive Brand Name TV?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Scottf13 • Mar 12, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't purchased a tv in several years. My son either passes his old one on to me and a couple of years ago bought me a new HDTV. Before the HD he gave me a Sony plasma and I wanted to replace it with a flat screen but couldn't afford it. So what I did was watched for estate sales until one listed a flat screen tv. I've never heard of the brand before but from the estate that it came from they had to have paid a pretty penny for it. I could hook up everything to this tv and paid $100 for it. Here is where my loyalty to name brands was put to the side.

2. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm.. my brother does the same thing. He is crazy when it comes to electronics and is regularly buying something new. The benefit is that my parents keep getting the next best thing in terms of tech all the time.

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I would consider buying a generic TV because I'm not into TVs that much and rarely watch them. Therefore, a generic TV would simply be a money-saver. However, regarding things I'm more passionate about, like computers, I'd rather have more top of the line stuff. For instance, I'd like a decent gaming computer to work on 3D art.

Anyhow, generic isn't always worse than the name-brand. It depends on what generic stuff your buying.

4. DMlad

DMladNew Member

Threads:
    If there is guarantee that both are of the same quality then I will always go for the cheaper one, since there is no point in wasting extra money. However if there is no such guarantee a brand TV is a more secure way of not wasting money on repairs and similar.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I purchased a Kodak television and it was surprisingly cheap. I think that when it comes to televisions, brands don't change the price much. My television cost me around 300 dollars while the generic brand one cost 320 dollars. Of course, if I were to choose between a name-brand and a generic brand and the generic one cost 20.00 dollars less, I'd just buy the name-brand.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our previous tv was a Protech which is considered generic. At $300, it was way cheaper than branded tv sets like Sony or Toshiba. But after 4 years, that tv broke down and the estimated cost for the repair was exorbitant so we decided to just throw it away and buy a brand new. But this time we settled for a 40-inch Samsung HD flat for $400 or so. Although more expensive but the image are crisp clear and we have the confidence that it is branded.

7. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Well, not just on a TV but also on other gadgets, me and my wife usually buy the ones with the known brands but not always. If there is someone that we know who owns a TV that has an unknown brand but really works quite well and lasted for a long time, we usually consider buying that brand. But sad to say, sometimes we get disappointed because of the quality but we just think of it as since it costs a bit cheaper than the known brands then a bit of a poor quality is acceptable.

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't use a generic TV before. I could get branded TVs at prices not that too expensive. That said, I would go for a branded TV even if it turns out to be more expensive so long I can foot the bill. I am sure to enjoy some warranty getting branded which I am not sure of with the generic. Again the brand has their name to protect and would work to ensure their product is good and meet market expectations.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to big ticket items like television, I prefer to buy a branded set for optimum viewing experience. They tend to last longer and their quality are never on the same level as the generic ones. I only have one television in my home. Hence, it has to be good enough. The television is still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment around so I don't mind spending a bit more for a reliable brand.

10. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    It is kind of interesting to see the differences of opinions here, and I am guess that it varies more than it does for other products. I bet that most people like the brands for the larger items, but I could be wrong. I would probably go with the savings every time.

11. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    For me, what's more important is the quality. I'd rather buy an expensive branded TV rather than a cheap one and will have to replace it later on, that's even more expensive on my part. But I won't be buying the top of the line TV though, since that will be too pricey. I normally watch movies everyday but don't use it the entire day so I guess normal branded LED TV will do the work on my watching needs :)

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We have 2 TV's at home, 1 is JVC and 1 is TCL, and we had the TCL since 2009, but we only started using it last 2013 as an extra TV with cable connection. It's a good brand, but I noticed that the picture color of the JVC one is more vibrant than the TCL brand. So I think that the better brand always produces the better quality as compared to the lesser known brands.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is more a personal matter. :cool:

Particularly, I don't care much about this issue because it's been a long time since I've not been making a big deal about staying in front of the TV. I prefer to spend my time in front of my laptop (because using my laptop I can see what I would see on a TV, and more).

14. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I have always gone for the brand name. This is not only for TV but for all electronic items. I prefer to go for brand names whose products are known to be reliable rather than any other make. It is better to spend more once than spend less and then spend more on repairs etc.