Would You Rather Have One Sport And Focus At It, Or More?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Mar 18, 2015.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been running for 6 years and swimming for a year. I enjoy both of them, but every time that I will spot a sport being played like say tennis, I simply feel like I want to try it, most sport actually. But because of time constraint, I guess I would really have to choose especially if I don't intend to make a living out of the skill I will gain from trying different sports. Since because they are just my hobby as I consider they are, I think I would rather stick to swimming and running, and if I have to give up again of the two, which would be really hard, I think I would rather give up them both.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't see why you can't do them all? You choose to do them and tennis is also a social activity where running and swimming isn't. You should be doing them for fun as well as keeping fit and there is nothing to say you can't play a game of tennis once in a while.

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to sports, I'd say take on as many as you have time to enjoy. Unless you plan to really "go somewhere" with a particular sport. In that case you might want to narrow your interests and focus on the one.

Most of us, though, I'd say have no great talent anywhere in the sports field that we need to be developing. We do it for the pure enjoyment of the physical activity and simply to keep fit.

4. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    It all will depend on what your overall goal is. If you want to take part in competitive events then it may be best if you choose one and focus on it and do the other one as a way to aid in your overall training. If you goal is nothing of the sort then I think it is okay for you to try out as many sports you want to.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you enjoy multiple sports, then, by all means, go ahead and partake in all of them. It doesn't matter unless you're playing competitively in which case it's a better idea to focus on one sport. I play a few different sports recreationally, and I don't want to give up any of them.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That depends. If I wanted to just partake in sports as a hobby, then I wouldn't mind playing more of them. If I wanted to take it really serious, and train to play competitively, then definitely just one. As it is, I don't really want to be "great" at any sport, so I don't mind having more than one. :)

7. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I never intend to compete so that affects my viewpoint but I don't focus on any one activity. I would get bored. I like to hike but I don't hike every weekend. I don't even hike every time we go to a state park, sometimes we ride mountain bikes, rock climb, or rent a canoe instead. I like to play tennis when I'm in places where I can rent the equipment but I didn't invest any money in buying it. Same with bowling. Swimming laps in a warm pool is great exercise, especially when the weather is yucky and my weather-bones are complaining but it's boring so I don't do it regularly.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd rather participate in a sport that gives me what combining sports would give me? So say I was doing one sport for a certain set of skills, and another sports for another preferred set of skills, I'd rather just do one sport that focuses on helping me to gain all of those skills in one, rather than doing a bunch of different ones.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like having more than one to choose from. That is why I prefer a gym than one sport, because if I get tired or bored I can just go to a cardio class, or the elliptical machine... I love dance and pilates, for example, but doing those alone every single week gets boring, so I prefer to diversify.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I help around a Children's home that is in my town. At times I spend time with the kids in the field and just must learn a new sport at times. That doesn't mean I don't like one more than other — soccer is my favorite sport.

11. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer more. It nice to have a variety of sports to master and learn. I do basketball, volleyball, ping pong, swimming, marathon and even karate.

12. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Try everything you want to try and stick to what you enjoy. Trust me, if you enjoy a sport that much you won't be feeling as tired during your sessions and you'll find time to them as well. The essence of playing sports, if you're not a athlete, is to enjoy playing it.

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Are you making money off of running and swimming? Unless you were a coach/fitness instructor, there's really not much to be gained financially from doing those two things.

Sports for most of us are a fun activity to do while maintaining a good fitness level. So if you're looking at tennis and seeing that it looks fun to try, then go for it! Being good at it doesn't matter, it's about having fun. Anyone who plays golf knows that experience all to well.

14. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    I am currently playing three different sports(for those of you who wanted to know, it is basketball, soccer and football)so I enjoy playing different things. I am starting to focus more on soccer because I realize that is my best sport, so I could potentially go somewhere with it. Playing different sports helps you develop skills that you did not know you needed whenever in each sport.