Would you ride a motorbike?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Peninha • May 20, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that when my kids grow up and I am independent again I will get a bike. I guess that call it the middle age crisis, but once the kids are independent we can get back to doing what we love with less time restrictions and riding a bike is something I want to try.

2. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    I don't see why not. I know that a lot of people will say that is very dangerous, but you shoukd remember that you are the one controling it, so as long as you are respecting the rules, I don't see why a motorbike would be a danger. I know that you will probaly say that no matter how careful you are in traffic, there is the possibility to get hit by other drivers, but let's be honest, if you think like this, even walking on the sidewalk can be dangerous.

3. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Motorcycles are my favorite way of transportation. There's something refreshing on riding one, and I feel it gives a tad more freedom than a car. Besides, if one is single and doesn't have a companion, a motorcycle is more convenient and cheaper than a car.

I'm not buying it yet, though. I don't think I'm ready to spend money on one.

4. ZenShopper

ZenShopperNew Member

Threads:
    I won a motorbike and I love riding one!

It's easier to navigate in traffic and loads of fun to drive around.

5. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Four wheels good, two wheels bad....I can't see myself ever getting a motorcycle. I'm a bit too chicken to get on the back of one of those things. But clearly they have a role for getting around and they are exciting vehicles for some people.

6. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Of course I would ride a bike, just like I would fly a plane and do other activities that would put me in control over a machine..say, jet skiing (which is kinda like a bike). I see no harm in riding, once you try to be safe and don't do anything stupid you should be okay. Cars and Bikes are equally dangerous. It's just that with the Bike you have a much more brutal impact when in any accident.
    As for the advantages in comparing a bike to a car, you have the obvious cost advantage in terms of parts and gas, and then, the ease of travel, you can get from one destination to the other much quicker. Probably a good 30 minutes quicker than you would with a car :)

7. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I used to ride motorbikes when i was younger but i had a couple of minor accidents which made me switch to a car. I did enjoy the experience however, it was a great feeling being out on the road in the summer and the bike gave me a new freedom to be able to go where i wanted when i wanted. The bike was extremely economical and cheap to run compared with a car. Also you can avoid traffic jams and park anywhere.

The disadvantages are that it is freezing cold in winter, dangerous on slippery roads and the amount of gear you have to wear is a hassle taking on and off. The sheer volume of traffic these days makes riding extremely dangerous especially some of the erratic driving i witness. I would consider riding a motorbike again but only for fun off road.

8. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Motorcycle is one of the most basic mode of transportation in my country. As long as you know and follow the set of rules that you traffic management group imposes you are perfectly safe. Motorcycle is rather cheap and save a lot of gas than car. However, one downside is the limit of those who can ride a motorcycle is two to three people only unlike cars.

9. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have ridden motorcycles in the past but I try to avoid it as much as possible. My main concern is that there is nothing attaching me to the bike in the case of a sudden stop and no buffer between me and death in the event of an accident with a car. I have ridden with show offs too many times to enjoy the "freedom" people talk about and I have known just a few too many people who have died while on one. I could never feel comfortable on a motorcycle again. If given a choice , I say "bring on the traffic jam! I always have a good book on me, anyway".

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely no...because I don't know how to ride/drive one. I think you will look really badass though when you are riding a motorbike, but it just doesn't suit me. And there would be dangers you could come across when you are not alert while riding it.