Would you sleep at the airport?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • May 28, 2014.

1. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I can't imagine why anyone would CHOOSE to sleep at an airport. I had to do it once because my night flight had gotten delayed till the morning and it was absolutely horrible. I couldn't call a friend or anything because I was flying back to my home. It was one of the most sleepless nights I've ever had and I don't think I got more than 20 minutes of sleep. I kept worrying about my baggage and that if I took my eyes off it that it might get stolen.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I won't do this. This doesn't sound comfortable. When I am travelling, I am in the strange place. Whenever I go I don't feel home though I may be enjoying the place. I still feel very foreign. And my only resort for comfort is the hotel, the place where I could be myself and act with my culture without having to worry to act according to other's culture.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, I think it could help that I somewhat feel in the spotlight. Also I'm a very light sleeper so it was difficult to sleep at the airport because you had the announcement going every 5 minutes seems like even when the airport was closed. Plus I worry about someone stealing my valuables I guess.

4. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I have slept at airports before because my connecting flight did not leave until the next day. When traveling alone it is okay to do it but if you are traveling with kids and family I would recommend getting a nights rest at a cheap hotel close to the airport.
    What I would do is just walk around the airport as much as possible and eat some food, just keep myself busy.
    And if I sleep than never too deeply and I try to find a good place to rest.

5. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I find it hard to fall asleep in the airport.

First, my flights are usually not much long and the time gap between them is also pretty short. However, sometimes I have to wait up until 5-6 hours. Instead of sleeping I prefer going out and exploring a new place as long as I have some time for doing such things.

Second, it totally depends on a certain airport. Some of them are pretty convenient for that, other are not and have never been. So, you literally don't know, especially if that's a travel to a foreign and almost unfamiliar place.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, if it meant that I was able to save a lot of money I would certainly sleep at the airport if I had to. I feel that there are many places where you could sleep, and I would rather do this than spend money on a hotel, or spend more money wasting it on more expensive flights at better times of the day.

7. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I have known people to do it when offered an upgrade in seating if they delay leaving until the next day.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    What annoys me is that Check in does not open until 2 hours before, meaning that you cannot spend all of you time in the departures lounge. I plan to arrive at the airport at 11pm, with a departure time of 6am. I want to sleep, but I have this paranoia that my alarm will fail and I will miss my flight.

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have done it once and I would never do it again! You don't feel safe! I couldn't sleep at all even though I was travelling with a friend. I was always scared that someone would come up and snatch my bag. Just seeing two teen girls alone. I would rather pay for a hotel and sleep in a bed.

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm... Honestly, I've never really tried sleeping in an airport. We're very lucky that every flight we had taken wasn't delayed enough that we'd need to sleep in the airport itself. I don't think it would be that comfortable as well especially for my toddler. If it's just me and my flight is delayed, I wouldn't think twice about sleeping in the airport. Some airports have lounges as well where you can rest if your flight is delayed.

But to actually sleep in the airport instead of a hotel, I don't think I can sleep well for days there. And what about taking a bath? Lol. I guess this can work for people who truly want to save their money. As for me, whenever we're travelling, we make sure we at least get a hotel that can make us comfortable. We love to travel to see different places but at the same time, relax. And somehow, staying in an airport during our whole trip can be the opposite of that.

For backpackers though, I can see this working for them. I wonder though how they are going to get in to those strict airports when it comes to security.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No would rather not spend nights at airports when I travel anywhere and especially in a foreign country. It's more economical to check ahead of time for inexpensive hotels or hotel specials like at trivago that has lots of television commercials. Not safe to stay at airports overnight either you can get hurt, robbed or both when you're asleep and don't even know you're getting robbed. Best to get an inexpensive hotel room or not travel if you can't afford a hotel.

12. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I've never slet an entire night in an airport. Even despite I had the bad luck of waiting for delayed flights. I had several naps though, just to pass the time, but sometimes I feel quite unsafe so I grow restless. There is too much people around to have a quality nap though, and background noises of
    muttering, screams, yells and speaking is not a really suitable environment to sleep.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's nothing wrong with sleeping at the airport as long as the airport is known for being safe and comfortable. Some airports have a lounge and you can even pay a small amount by booking ahead of your arrival or departure. The thing is, when your fly around midnight or arrive at your destination at a time when public transportation isn't available, your safest option would be to sleep at the airport.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are not really cheapskates, just practical maybe. When we were in Malaysia, our flight back home is 9 pm so we have to be at the airport by 6 pm. The checkout time in the hotel is 12 noon. We were fortunate that the hotel gave us free extension hours until the time we leave for the airport. That's very nice of Majestic Hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

But regularly, we would be leaving so early for the airport instead of paying for an extra day in the hotel. Like in Beijing last year of 2015, our flight was midnight and the check out time was 12 noon. After roaming around some more, we left the hotel by 3 pm and spent the remaining hours in the airport. It's just unfortunate that there were no restaurants inside the waiting area so what we could do was only to sleep.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sleeping at an airport is quite normal for early morning flights because there is no public transport to get them there. I used to work at Gatwick which is a 24 hour airport (not all are) and I was used to seeing people take up rows to sleep on. It's not always safe though, especially if you are alone.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know it makes sense for some people and I'm not going to judge anyone for doing it, but it's just not for me at all. I've seen people doing it, and hey, fair play to them! Personally, If I didn't have sufficient funds, I'd rather just not go on holiday. I need my home comforts like a comfortable bed, a warm shower and a private loo LOL I think sleeping in the airport would make me feel exposed, unsafe and not very clean. Plus, I think it would take away from the experience. Maybe if I were a lot younger, and there was a group of us, it would be like an adventure. But again, there's the safety aspect.

17. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    This would be really having such a good and most appealing time as it. I am gonna enjoy it a lot ahead.