Would You Stop Driving And Take Public Transit To Save Money?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Sunshine • Feb 5, 2015.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It all depends where you live. If you can easily get to work or wherever you need to be by bus or train, than it's up to you to make that decision. But if you live in a more isolated area where there isn't any public transport, it gets more difficult. Personally, I have experienced both circumstances. My preference was and is to use my bike wherever possible.

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I didn’t need a car (although at least I can say I like my car now, haha). I live in a fairly rural area, so it’s more or less a necessity. But if I lived in a bigger city with better public transit, I would switch to using that and possibly biking.

I considered a scooter instead of a car, but 1) our highways are quite dangerous, and 2) someone I know had his scooter stolen. Granted he was being somewhat careless, but the danger aspect still kind of turns me off the idea. There is still a little part of me that dreams of a Vespa, though… *sigh*

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose I used to feel like you, @rikka@rikka. This was when I was living in the UK, where there's a fairly decent if a tad unreliable and expensive transport. I had access to an abundance of buses, trains and trams. Now I'm back in my home country where taxis are very expensive and the transport system is almost non-existent. I have never been more desperate to have my own car! The first opportunity I get, I'm getting that car LOL

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I had quality public transport available here, I would sometimes use it. In the past, I've taken buses, trains, and walked to work, as well as driven, so it just depends on where I'm living, and what is available. There's no public transportation where I live, so I don't have the choice, but it would be handy, and I would probably use it about half the time, if it were available. I would still use my car for grocery and other shopping, but I'm not one of the people who has to be behind the wheel to feel in control. I'm perfectly fine with riding on the bus or train, and leaving the driving to someone else, while I relax or tend to other matters.

5. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I sure would! When I lived farther north, there was always public transit available. Now that I'm back in the south, I have no choice but to drive everywhere. The cost of car maintenance, gas and insurance is sometimes a huge burden. I wish we had reliable buses for local travel, and passenger trains for long distance.

6. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    If it was easier in terms of timing and there's not so much trouble in it, why not?

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, Brenda, and it's difficult when there are car issues. I definitely miss the subway and bus systems in the Boston area, but I sure don't miss the tiny parking lots and spaces. That's one thing my Mom is always complaining about, and she can't believe how huge most of the parking lots and parking spaces here are, and that vehicles like extended cab pick ups and Expeditions readily fit in one space. I'd love to have a mixture of the two, that would make life a little easier.