Would you subscribe to Google Fiber if you had the choice?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by donding • Aug 22, 2014.

1. donding

dondingNew Member

Threads:
    Google fiber is insanely high speed internet for a very competitive monthy fee. Many ISP executives had been saying in the past that users are simply not interested in broadband speeds that are so fast; do you agree with them that after a certain point, it just isn't worth it to get faster internet speeds?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would want to as I hate my internet service more than anything. However, the fact that it is made by Google steers me off significantly. Our privacy is being taken away as it is. They apparently track everything you do but I've been okay with searching, it seems so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would sign up for Google Fiber even though I'm leery of Google too. One of the Starbucks near is already using high speed Google. It's super fast. It's just a pleasure to surf at high speeds. It never drops.

I do remember a couple of years ago when Google stated that they weren't interested in providing high speed to consumers on a national scale. They were test high speed internet in a small time. I didn't believe them and here we are.

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm fine and can work well with a 5mbps connection speed as long as it doesn't drop. "Insanely" higher speed won't make a big difference to my work or personal life. It will be just an additional and unnecessary expense for me. Though I think that it's good for business like if you own an internet cafe but I'm not sure if it's really worth the cost.

#4Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. rgrimes

rgrimesNew Member

Threads:
    I would definitely choose Google Fiber over my own internet service provider. It would be a luxury to browse the internet at high speeds and watch Netflix without any buffering. If I had to do something at my own privacy, I could just use a high speed VPN that doesn't keep logs or something.

6. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I would because my current connection is just 10mb download and 1mb upload. The download speed isn't so bad but the upload is painfully slow and I'm the kind of person that shares big files all the time (like using dropbox) and upload high resolution pictures to my blog and flickr, or to send files to clients when I do freelance design or photography. I would love to have a faster connection with great upload speed as well as download speed.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Google Fiber is a good deal for the price. AT&T is working on its own similar product, but it's only at 300 Mbps right now, and most customers are reporting that they get nowhere near that figure. I don't know what the reputation on Google Fiber is as far as actual speeds are concerned, but getting anything close to 1 Gbps is worth the competitively priced Fiber rates.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have DSL from AT&T at one of the higher speeds that they offer and it works fine for my needs. I can't imagine a faster internet speed being useful to me because I'm not a gamer, and the speed I currently have lets me watch videos without buffering. Nope, I see no reason to subscribe to Google Fiber.

9. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I have been really looking forward to Google fiber making it to my area. High speed internet is so expensive right now, particularly if you don't actually want cable. I think cable company has about a $5/month difference between internet and basic cable + internet. Given that their speed is much slower than Google fiber and the service can be inconsistent, I don't have any loyalty to my current ISP.

10. SevenWays

SevenWaysNew Member

Threads:
    Even though I'm not entirely happy with the huge power Google is gaining over our lives, I'd still get Google Fiber in a heartbeat. They became so immensely powerful because they do things the right way, and connection wouldn't be an exception. Here in Italy Internet is notoriously slow, while not being cheap, and Google's offer would probably destroy all other ISPs very quickly.
    They offer a 5Mbps bandwidth for free, while I pay almost 50 dollars per month to get a 7Mbps connection! And their monthly fee on the 1Gbps connection is very competitive. They have enough money and technical expertise to do a much better job than every ISP I know, so yes, I'd reluctantly subscribe to Google Fiber.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Owing to the fact that I mostly use my net connection for browsing and downloading small files occasionally, I won't ditch my ISP anytime soon for faster internet because I don't pay much for their services. I'm still looking forward to the "FREE" internet FB CEO was talking about last year. Should there be such an option then I'd jump on that bandwagon without hesitation.

12. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    No. My internet speed is terrible where I live and with the company I use. I would 100% be interested in something better if it was at a decent price. I'm not going to pay an arm and a let but I would sure like to upgrade from what he have here with Frontier.

13. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    I'm a streamer. We watch TV, listen to music, I stream games and work on a charity that involves a lot of streaming so I would happily get Google Fiber. I wouldn't be surprised to see Google actually push the other ISP's to become even more competitive, so I would at least use the threat of leaving to go to them against my current provider. My current provider hasn't been bad, I got one hike in the last years, so not bad. Anyway, yes I would totally go to Google Fiber, I think its a great product. I have a couple friends in Kansas who love it. That's that for me.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it would be great to have that in place of my current provider, not only for the speed but also for reliability. Lately my internet has been dropping way too much and with my line of work I really need something that doesn't flake as easily. I think having as fast of a speed as possible for a low price would be great . That way I'd need to download a lot less as I could just access files from online.

15. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    Yes 100%. I work from home on the internet and it would be awesome to have that kind of speed. I game as well so I'd love it. If it was reasonably priced then yes I would get it without a doubt. My internet where I live is terrible. I can barely top 114.4/kbs. And that is just sad.

16. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    It's crazy to me that everyone wouldn't subscribe to Google Fiber as soon as they could. I don't think it would be a huge change for me, but I'd rather have a faster service for cheaper (or around the same price). My connection is pretty good already, but why not make it better?

17. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, why not? If Google offers very high speeds at competitive rates, why not have it? There is no such thing as "Certain point". Technology is bound to improve with every passing day. If I can copy files from the web just as I do from my hard disk, why not have it? Besides streaming will be a charm and I can absolutely watch everything over net and TV could be obsolete.

18. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Leaning towards saying yes. If Google Fiber offers these gigabit speeds at competitive pricing, I would probably switch over. Though, I probably wanna wait to see what other people are saying about this service. In other words, I'll want to check out the reviews to see the pros and cons. My hope is that Google can stretch out to more parts of the country, and/or force other companies to provider faster and more reliable internet connections.

19. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would depend on the price for me. Where I live, there are only 2 providers, and I'm not a fan of the other one. I'm somewhat happen with mine, but if I could get the same speed or faster for the same or closer to it, I would probably do it, although I also am leery of Google. Even if I had to pay $20 or $30 more per month, it would probably be worth it to switch, because then I know the internet could handle HuluPlus and Netflix with no problem, and if I cut off my cable TV, I would have to pay an additional $20/month 'unbundling' fee.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am currently content with my ISP, but if the price of upgrading is affordable then why not, right? I certainly won't mind downloading and upgrading in faster speeds.