Would You Take Things Back If You Found It Cheaper?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Theo • Nov 23, 2016.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As it's Black Friday week, some stores and sites are offering discounts early on, but if the same item was cheaper a couple of days later would you take it back for a refund?

I would personally unless it was a very small difference, but if it was significant then I wouldn't hesitate to take it back for a refund and buy the item at the cheaper price.

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    If there is a big difference in the amount I would for sure. I had done this in the past actually with a camera. I had bought a camera for $200 then a week later I saw it for $150 at another store. $50 dollars is huge difference good thing I hadn't opened the camera and I was able to return it.

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the time, I wouldn't even take it back even if it was a big difference unless I needed the money. If it's a small difference, with less reason. I think I would spend more on gas than I would gain exchanging an item. The only thing I remember taking back because of the price was a sweater that cost me 40 dollars. Before buying it, I felt guilty for wanting such an expensive sweater but I bought it anyway. In the end, the guilt got to me and I took it back. I didn't feel right because I felt ripped off. I wouldn't be comfortable wearing it.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had bought a computer headset for 350 pesos (less than $10) and I thought it was a good deal. But when I went to the mall where they are having a sale, the same computer headset was being sold for only 300 pesos in one store. Well, it's not much of a difference in price but I felt sad because I was not a wise buyer.

5. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Had the option been open, I would definitely take it back. I generally do not do a comparative study after buying. So there's a little chance for such thing to happen. However,in most of the cases the effort of doing so is not worth the time and energy. But a substantial price difference will certainly make me feel frustrated.

6. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    No, I would not take something back if I had found it cheaper elsewhere. I would accept that I did my best to find a certain product in my price range and in a good enough quality.

I may feel a bit disappointed in myself having missed the cheaper deal opportunity, but I would think to myself that it was just one of those things.

7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    This thing is something that I really prevent from happening since I like to get my money's worth that's why I always see to it to check all stores to compare prices and check all the items that are good for my budget. That way, I won't regret buying a certain item since I know that I have already checked the entire mall for that item and got the best one with the cheaper price.

However, when I bought an item a bit expensive right before a day sale, I don't usually go to make a refund since I already bought the item at a different date. And I don't think it's possible in our area to get a refund, what they do is they exchange items or replace it if it's damaged or defective.

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Once I have purchase an item I don't go back to same store to complain that I paid too much for it at time of purchase. I'd only go back if the item was not genuine. This is more reason I'd ensure I have a good idea of the prevailing price of a commodity before buying. It pains to be cheated but I wouldn't like create a scene at a local store because of that.

9. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    My mom does this. I don't like when she does it but people can do what they want. I don't do it myself because I wouldn't like to have sold something only for it to be returned in perfect condition due to the owner finding it cheaper elsewhere. Kind of a downer to me.

10. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    There's no need to make a scene. Just calmly state the reason for the return. Many stores allow for such contingencies. Also true if you put something on layaway that goes on sale a week later or something. They wouldn't have policies in place for such things if they didn't expect people to use them.

So many people think they will make a scene or be seen as cheap or whatever that they just let it go. I'm sure the stores love that since they get free extra money that way.

I take it back if it's worth it. If I'm in the area anyway or if it's a significant amount. You betcha.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many places will now refund the difference if you find the same item cheaper so you don't have to take it back, but they will give you a cash refund.

There are conditions though, such as the item has to be stock and available to buy at the time. You need proof, say a photo of the item in store with a price, or if it is on the web a screenshot. Supermarkets do this, and some have small print such as a minimum spend or a shop with x number of items before they match the prices.

12. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I have this bad habit of accumulating goods even though they are of no use to me. Whenever there is an offer or discount I end up buying them using my credit card. But nowadays I stopped using my credit credit card because of this and put an end to this. I made it a habit to ask myself that if the product is really needed and what will happen if I do not get it. So finally I could get rid of my urge to buy unnecessary things.

Moreover, sometimes these shops sell very inferior quality products in the name of big discounts. Once I bought a packet of dates as another packet was absolutely free with it. But when I opened it at home it was not in a good condition to eat. So I returned it and got my money back. But that is quite inconvenient.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would probably not because I generally do a thorough search before buying online or offline both. Even if I found something cheaper with a big difference I will not return it because that to me sounds a bit unethical. I must do the research work before buying an item and not once the deal is finalized.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't return a product when I found it cheaper elsewhere. I buy what I can afford and when I can get it cheaper I get it from the cheaper price store. I'd rather not return a product to get a cheaper one. I like to compare prices at sales and find the cheapest price for the same product. Luckily I Walmart came to Hawaii for their prices are very economical. A 2 pound frozen potato bag is 2.74. Walmart's prices are cheaper than sales for the same kind of product goes for 3.99 on sale at other stores, currently. Walmart has lots of good prices for most products.

15. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't take it back if I had already unwrapped it. What I have done is to go back to the store with my receipt, if it is the same day I bought it or they have a price match running and ask if they would match the price at the other store. If the store does price matching, they are normally understanding.

If I hadn't unwrapped it, there was no price match and there was a significant difference, say over £20? Then yes, I would take it back.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think so. I mean those things are bound to happen from time to time. Alot of stores do price matching these days, and you can get the item at a lessor price but you have to actually see it beforehand. I don't think a retailer is very likely to give you money back after you have purchased the item and then saw it cheaper somewhere else, unless they really wanted to keep you as a customer that is.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There could be different reasons for sites offering different rates for similar looking products. I have had first hand experience for a product which looked similar but one site offered almost 15% lesser. The reason was one of the sites had there warehouse in my city and the other one was located almost 2500 km away. I had to utilize my gift vouchers which were soon to be expired so I went for the one with higher prices.

18. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is unethical to return what you have already bought and exchanged it with a lesser price. In our place, there is provision in the receipt issued that says "no return. no exchange". So better make up your mind if buying items especially the one that is useful and needed by you so that you would regret later and change it.

19. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It's not a good idea to take things back - unless they are damaged - because it's sort of like betting on a basketball game and then demanding your money back. It's just not the way of the street, so to speak. It's sort of an unsaid rule.

Anyway, it's a no-brainer that taking it back, as in the "cheaper scenario", will save money, though.

#19Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  20. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    If that's the case then yes, I guess you would have to accept that. This is a good reason to be aware of the store's policies.

Here, many stores have policies in place that will guarantee you the lowest price (on exact items), even after you have already completed a purchase. It's not unethical at all if they have a policy that welcomes you to take advantage of the lower price.

I think I see what everyone is getting at now. Yes, if you're being dishonest about why you're returning something then I can see your point. If you tell them that you found it cheap elsewhere, and they have a policy for such matching prices, that's different.