Would you trust a $120 desktop computer?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by beccagreen • Aug 19, 2014.

1. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The AMD chips aren't as fast as the Intel chips. The Intel chips are only a few seconds faster. With enough RAM, I doubt anyone would notice the difference. They are definitely worth it.

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I actually wouldn't trust it if the computer was supposed to cost more, which is what it seems like, but who knows unless you try it. I would have to look at the computer first to judge and know more of the specs. If it was used I wouldn't buy it. I know you could build a computer for that price, but if I had $120 I would rather buy a new computer than something from a local store that I'm not really sure about. I guess I'm just afraid of buying used hardware.

3. tzbt827

tzbt827Member

Threads:
    $120 is pretty cheap for those specs to be honest, but don't expect to be able to play games of do anything multimedia related. I'd buy the PC though if I was you as it could still do simple tasks relatively fast, and even if you don't use the computer afterwards you can keep some of the parts to put in another computer.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well I think it's pretty okay, I mean $120 is not that much if you think about it and for a computer that has that specs I say go for it, I mean if it broke down easily you're not going to regret it that much since you only spent $120 for that. Just be careful though, who knows it might be broken in the inside.

5. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks a lot for the reply guys, so I guess it's a pretty sweet deal eh? I think I'll go out tomorrow and check for it and I'd probably take it home, I could use another set of processors for my freelancing works.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It would very much depend on what you need to use the machine for. If you are looking for something that you would simply be able to type documents on, then you could get something very cheaply. However if you are the type of person who uses it to watch videos or to play games, then I don't think that you would be able to get the specification that you need at such a low price. It is always worth taking a look at lower machines, but make sure you check out what they are capable of, because there is no point in paying a low price for something that is going to need to be replaced in a year's time, as you may as well have spent more on something that would last longer.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think I could trust a computer that is that cheap. $120 is very low, considering most stores start selling their computers at least $250 or so. And even those have little specs, features, internal space and bad processors. I mean, if you don't have the money and you need a computer, $120 is okay as long as you don't expect too much.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would look at it this way, if you are in need of a computer right now - as in you don't have one at all, or your only one died - if a $120 computer you purchase now will get you another 2 or so years of solid use before you need to invest in another one, you can spend those two years putting aside money for a much nicer system when the time comes. It should probably do you just fine for basic stuff like browsing the internet and checking emails, as well as watching movies on your computer.

Sure, AMD chips are a little cheaper than Intel, and the system itself may be on the lower end in terms of power and performance, but if it's a full size desktop system, like the big towers, the other reason the parts are cheaper is because they aren't proprietary parts meant to fit into an ultra compact machine. One of the benefits of a tower size system, is you can fit just about any off the shelf parts in them, so you have more options to keep the price down overall.

You could spend nearly that much just buying RAM itself, so that sounds like quite a deal. Even if the machine died on you, the parts alone are worth it.

9. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that the $120 for a desktop computer seems reasonable especially if is to be used for basic everyday activity. These days laptops for everyday use are fairly reasonably prices but they are usually fitted with the latest hardware and software. Much of the newer software and hardware around for desktops are not expensive. As long as the specs are what you need, then its a great buy.

10. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    The E-350 CPU is normally used in netbooks, so don't expect any performance from it. But if all you are going to do is Office and browse the web, then it should be enough for you. However, I think that if you want a good PC that can do more, I would recommend you to spend at least $300 on a PC, which can do more than just very basic tasks, unlike the $120 PC.

11. Brian3265

Brian3265New Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't honestly. I feel like these days, you have to pay more for electronics if you want them to be reliable.