Would You Use Free Photo Editing Software?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by cocolgooh • Feb 10, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've used Paint.Net for years and find it can be a pretty good piece of editing software. Sure, it doesn't have all the functions that Photoshop has, but it also doesn't come with such a hefty price tag, and is perfectly good for doing simple edits. I like the fact that you can download additional buttons to use if you need something that the original simple version doesn't have, and I've made use of this a few times and downloaded a few additional buttons when the need has arisen.

Is there any free photo editing software that you like to use?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Unless a person works as, or is preparing to be, a graphic or web designer, Adobe costs too much money for leisurely use. Annual subscriptions start at $170 and most of its functions can be time-consuming. So to answer your question, yes I like free and low-cost like Broderbund.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    If wanting an easy to use - professional quality photo and image editing package similar to Photoshop, Photoscape or GIMP - but way less frustrating - then I would highly recommend trying " Hornhil StylePix " - which is what I have been using for well over 12 years now and can't fault in any way - as not only is it quick and easy to use but the results are always absolutely excellent.

Which - although not free at the time when I first got mine - is now - not only totally free to download and all versions too - but the software - unlike many of the other packages - is fully compatible with the majority of windows operating systems.

So for anyone interested in checking it out or wanting to download the package for free - all can be done from here

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I already have photo editing software because I use it for work so I just use that if I need anything done. If I didn't do this as my job though I'd probably be okay with using free resources just as long as it has the features I need for the task. If not then I'd probably just to for something midrange and get a consumer grade editing software which I assume costs a little less than the professional ones.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only time I use a photo editing software is when I need to erase some info using the "white eraser" in paint, so I really have no desire to learn how to edit photos, and I am content with using Paint for now.

6. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    There are plenty of great photo editing software that would leave photoshop in the dust any day.

Gimp has already mentioned. Another great tool you can use is Autodesk pixlr. Autodesk is the industry leader when it comes to designing and engineering drawings, so this tool has a lot of useful features.

Fotor is another one. Of course, you are using a nice tool in Paint.Net too. But, I bet you will like one of these free alternatives.

7. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I use blibs.com/editor and it has helped me edit my pics when my Photoshop was not working fine. It is a simple online photo editing software. It has some features that allows you to edit, color or add captions to your images. The one thing that I love about it is that you can make your pictures move as well. You can create gifs with this site. Check it out, it's a pretty cool site. Good luck!

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Blender can also be used to edit images. It's free software for 3D modeling but since most 3D models [created using the software] have to be rendered, you can use the software to edit rendered images. Though it certainly is as good as any photo editor it's got a steep learning curve . . .

9. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of Blender a lot recently, but haven't really tried it. Considering that 3d modelling is going to be the next big thing when it comes to design, using Blender makes a lot of sense.

10. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Of course, I will use anything that is free. There is a program called Gimp that is great for editing photos and it is completely free. They have an advanced version, of course, but you are going to get that everywhere. It might not be for anything professional, but it is more than enough for your standard editing.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use free editing software. I really like the online photo editors. Pixlr is my favorite. LunaPic is good, but Pixlr is much more user friendly. A few of my favorite online editors have closed down. Picnik closed a couple of years ago.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are plenty of free photo editing software programs that I have used before. I use Microsoft Paint for quick and simple jobs, like print screening websites for proof, and then pasting the image into paint, and saving it. But if I am looking for something a bit more complex, I will torrent download programs like Photoshop, for free.

13. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    You can also use free online editors like Canva if you want. Free isn't bad when it comes to software. In fact, a lot of apps earn via ads, so they don't need to charge you anything.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pixlr and PicMonkey are my go-to online photo editing programs. They're rather easy to use and do not consume a lot of space in my computer's memory. They may not be as thorough as Photoshop but you can perform a number of pic editing functions.

My favorite photo editing software is Photoscape. It's by far the easiest and most convenient to use. It basically has everything under the photography sun including filters and collage makers.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Photoscape is great. I downloaded yesterday. Thought it would be hard to use but after a couple of hours I realized that it was pretty easy to use it to edit photos. It might not be as good as some of other programs mentioned here but since one would take weeks to learn how to edit a photo using them, I think Photoscape is great for most people who don't have the time for that.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, but it's mainly because I've been using Adobe's products for over 20 years now and I'm fully familiar with the interface and features of those tools. In the several times I tested out some of the free alternatives, they were fine for basic editing, but it was really time consuming and frustrating trying to find my way around their completely different user interfaces.

17. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used several different programs over the years. I've never had the money to pay for a full Adobe product, and although I do sell some of my photographs, I'm not into heavily editing them. I prefer a more natural approach, since they are, after all, nature pictures. I've considered getting more creative with some of them, though, and changing up the colors in an artsy fashion, so will follow this thread, because it seems to have a lot of great information. The one program I've been using mainly lately for minor editing and also watermarking, is RealWorld Paint.

18. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a photoshop fan through and through. It's always my go to software if i need to work on some pictures, not some major editing because i don't have the talent, but just minor and basic edits. I've tried using some photo editing software online too, there's tons available for free for a quick edit.

19. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    There is always "GIMPSHOP" with its slogan: "The Photoshop Free Alternative"

If you want to explore other alternatives to Photoshop, you can visit the web:

There is a varied landscape with programs for Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS and Web.

Many are free and prove themselves to be really good for the price :)

20. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I know people have mentioned Gimp before, but it has really worked wonders for me! I don't usually have the need to edit photos so it's great because not only is it free, but it's quite easy to use. I had a group project in one of my classes that involved editing some pictures and I was able to do it well using Gimp. I would like to try Photoshop someday just to play around with it for a bit, but for now it's not something I can afford to spend money on.