Would you want someone else's used engagement ring?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by sthrngypsy • Nov 7, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Should it even matter where the ring is obtained? Whether the person selling the ring is doing so because their engagement broke doesn't mean because of it, the ring is now jinxed and anyone getting it risks losing their fiance. If it's cheap then I'd say, go for it since there's no point in buying an expensive [new] ring which you'll have with you for a few months only, maybe.

2. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I do not believe in superstition and I don't mind using second hand engagement ring for as long as it looks nice. Times are changing and you have to be practical in many ways to live each and every day. What she don't know won't hurt her - so if you are intending to get an engagement ring from ebay --- why brag about it and feel sorry later. Engagement should be a memory to be made for the HEART.. and not just a ring on her finger.

Are you not surprise why there's a thousand-and-one ways to propose? People remembers the "MOMENT" and not how beautiful or how expensive.. or how cheap the ring was.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it is a mental thing. I would rather go into a shop and buy clothes from the rack, then take the clothes from someone who I KNOW has worn it and done all types of things with it. As for the ring, I don't really care if the ring is second hand. As long as the ring is clean, and I like how it looks then I'm cool. I know that rings cost a lot of money these days. I'd just be grateful for having a ring in the first place.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I would only want an engagement ring that belonged to someone in my family, and where the marriage or relationship was a happy one. There are so many vibrations attached to personal jewelry that make me think twice when dealing with used pieces.
    Also, if I received a special "second-hand" jewelry gift from someone, and the piece felt "strange" to me, I would have it melt down and reshaped into a new design by a jeweler

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Would you accept a legitimate check for $1,000,000, even if you knew that the money had once been held by a big-city drug-kingpin?

I thought about that when I was entering some dollar-bills' serial-numbers into the database of

. I thought to myself 'This money is recently-used money (not "new" money). Won't entering it back into the system BRING DOWN the value of all that "new" money out there?'

The answer: No. All the money out there--we have to 'believe'--is only put out there when something of value is put away in exchange for it (I don't know how 'interest' figures into that equation, but that's a topic for another thread sometime). Yes, all that currency really is (or 'cash' or 'lucre' or 'bank-notes' ... the words--though very important at times--aren't the point) is representation of value.

And that's all that a wedding-ring is! True, someone who knows it was once someone else's might have the opinion that you or she wore it better; but all that matters is that you wear it 'proudly.'

6. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    No, I would never want to wear someone else's used engagement ring. I don't have anything against the idea, though. It might be quite practical for some to sell their engagement ring, but for me, it just feels awkward. It just doesn't feel and look appropriate, in my opinion. I want my engagement ring (in the future) to be mine and mine alone.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    When my grandmother was alive, and any of us used to tell her about second hand items that we may or may not be keeping, she would say whether or not the energy of the object was right. If it wasn't she would warn us against having it in our houses. My uncle, who thought that she was talking a load of crap once keep a desk that she had advised against him keeping, and strange things around his house began to happen. When he got rid of the item, order was restored. so if the engagement ring held bad chi energy, I wouldn't want it second hand. But then I suppose that items from stores can also hold bad chi energy. Less so than an object that has been worn by an actual person though.

8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Certain things in life, you want to have only in a new state condition, for example, underwear, shoes, a toothbrush, socks, and I think an engagement ring is pretty much one of those things too, I know that money is hard to come by for some, but really, engagement rings aren't very expensive these days, you can get a nice, new silver one for under 50 USD, so, that's a start right?

9. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a guy, but I wouldn't buy my future wife a previously owned engagement ring. I feel like the ring has to be somewhat special, at the very least unique for the person you're buying it for, and buying a used ring cheapens that. As other users have said, if the ring had been passed down the family and every bride in that family wore it then it's much more amazing than buying a new one. Aside from that special case, you're better off staying away from used engagement rings though.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know.. things from a store.. especially diamonds, I would assume have some pretty bad vibes if that's a thing. Do you have to own it a long time for it to absorb it or something? Because all the people that hold these things and try on these things etc.. that's a lot of different lives connecting with the item every single day. Go back to when many of these things are made in sweat shops, you'd think the purchase would be cursed by the time it hits your hands. Most of them! lol. Especially diamonds if someone doesn't look into where there's come from and most people don't care what their money contributes to. I'd say regardless of it's past, you're very likely to get something that has brushed against evil or sadness lol.. once it gets to you, it's used either way, and new to you either way.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lol. I don't think that a person has to hold it a certain amount of time for it to pick up the energy. it just depends on the intensity of the energy. If how diamonds are made hold any truth, then I should imagine that they would hold some negative energy. But then it can go the opposite way too, and objects can hold positive chi energy. If you know anything about how to cleanse rooms and objects then I think that you should be ok. But knowing that a person has been wearing the ring throughout all of their experiences. Laughter, deaths, sadness, love. It holds a lot of energy already, and it seems like it is likely to be more intense because the ring lived on that person's hand throughout all of those things. Kind of like the person's essence is a big part of the object. Some people's auric field tends to be more intense than others. Dowsing rods always go WILD around my sister. She's VERY strong emotionally, due to how passionate she is, whether that be with something positive or negative. With me, not so much. I have a small auric field with a lot of holes in it that need to be repaired through emotional work.

My mother still wears her grandmother's ring. She never takes it off. For as long as I have been alive, she has worn it. She feels a positive chi energy off of it. So it works both ways. Of course, most people think that this energy is absolute bullshit to begin with, so learning to feel the difference in energy between two objects wouldn't cross most people's minds in the first place lol, even though quantum physics supports that this energy exists.

12. elisagrace

elisagraceNew Member

Threads:
    I am not against used engagement ring as it will cost much less than the new one. But my fiancee is against this. He wants to make this moment a unforgettable memory for our whole life.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind if it was a gorgeous ring that o wouldn't otherwise be able to have. I am engaged now and my ring is quite simple, gold with a small stone. I like it small, but I'm not going to lie that I would like it a bit bigger even if it was used.
    The only way I would not accept it used would be if it was from someone I know that broke up their engagement, that would be weird. Or of the ex fiancé, imagine that!!

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As for me I wouldn't want an engagement ring from someone else's broken engagement at all. I like to get an engagement ring that's from his heart that was just for me and brand new. I like the fact that he got it brand new for like our journey it's brand new though many have walked this journey already, but I'd like to have an engagement ring new and unused.

15. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't want a ring from a broken engagement. I wouldn't care how cheap it was. It would seem like bad luck to me. I am not superstitious but really. I mean just having something like that on your finger would remind you of bad karma or something. I would say no Thank You. In fact, I might break up with a potential groom if I found out it was from a source like that.

16. Grace Simmons

Grace SimmonsNew Member

Threads:
    I bought my engagement ring from eBay. It was really beautiful and memorable for me. That's why I recommend eBay to everyone.

17. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Personally I would not want someone else's engagement ring. That's just me. I'm a big superstitious so if it was from a marriage that didn't last I wouldn't want that to be the start of our life together. When my husband and I decided to get married I had a certain ring in mind for my engagement ring. We went together to pick it out and I'm so happy I did. He would have picked a totally different ring and I don't think I'd have been as happy with the one I have now. Friends of mine have used an engagement ring that was made using the diamond from the groom's mom's second wedding ring. That marriage didn't last.

18. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    See, and I bet a lot of people here would happily take an big old diamond ring that was a family heirloom. Even though that is "used" too, it's somehow viewed differently.

Also, note what Josie has to say. I'd rather have a used one that isn't made with blood diamonds myself.

An engagement ring tends to be a large purchase, so the savings could be quite significant. In some cases, the rings that are for sale may not have ever been used. Maybe the guy never gave it to her.

I don't get why people who try to save money on everything else would rather pay full price for something as expensive as a diamond ring. I guess I'm not superstitious. If your marriage was meant to be, it was meant to be, even if you saved money on the ring.

Perhaps shopping for a discounted stone and then having it set would be a better money saving option for some folks.

19. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I don't think I'd want someone else's engagement ring, I'm not superstitious at all but I just don't feel like it would feel like it's mine. Probably doesn't make sense :) I'd much rather a new one, and I'm not talking about expense here as I don't like flashy things, just something that suits me. Maybe an antique ring would be nice, I'm conflicted!

20. weddingbands

weddingbandsNew Member

Threads:
    I will not mind it, whether my engagement ring is new or second hand. For me, only that moment is valuable. I don’t believe in facts like this. Losing fiancé is not dependent on the story of engagement ring; it completely depends on you. How much you love and care for her. All the best. Enjoy your big day. :)