Wrapping paper

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Strykstar • Dec 21, 2014.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree has really beautiful wrapping paper that looks like it should cost more. Since it's only a buck and I don't even use the whole roll at one time, gift wrapping is not one of those areas where I'm worried about saving money. Before my local Dollar Tree opened, I was buying gift wrap at 75% off the week after Christmas. There's no excuse for wrapping gifts with newsprint, when actual wrapping paper costs the same as a newspaper.

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I like wrapping paper, but I buy it seldom, and it’d have to be on sale. Plus I try to keep my collection reasonably small. The fact that it just gets ripped up and thrown away does make me hesitant to use some of mine, though. I’m pretty sure I’ve got some rolls that date back 10 years, if not more.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't need an excuse to use newsprint or other types of paper or materials in place of wrapping paper, because I don't feel bad about it at all. ;) It saves money and it's more eco-friendly to do.

I get a free newspaper every week. I sometimes use it to cover a surface before I paint or something, but I also have used it to make gift wrap. There's nothing wrong with re-using stuff instead of just throwing it away.

Did you check out the links I posted? :) I think some of the ways its used are quite cute.

4. yesterdaysmiles

yesterdaysmilesNew Member

Threads:
    I have had the same thought about buying pretty paper, then throwing it away. I still do it, however :) Regarding cards, I've saved some of the prettier artwork on the front, and made a collage of the images. It's a fun thing to place in a craft room, family room, or in the bedroom, as I do. I save the more meaningful cards from my family and friends.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I reuse gift bags as often as possible. If I'm out of gift bags, then I will use newspaper. I like using the Sunday comics if I can get them, or other comics if I can't find a Sunday one. A lot of the time it's easy to get newspaper from the recycling, so I don't have to buy any wrapping paper or anything except the tape. I don't like to make a huge deal of gift wrapping when the recipient is just going to tear it open anyway.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. I do the same. I think some people are just afraid that other people will think they are cheap. I don't worry too much about that, since I try to give good gifts. I tend to think that most people would much have a good gift wrapped in newspaper than a crummy gift wrapped in beautiful paper and ribbon. I know I would.

I also look for other ways to

7. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the present. Bottles of wine or spirits as presents are always presented in a long gift bag. Awkwardly shaped presents which I would make a mess of wrapping also get gift bagged. But a box of chocolates or a book would get gift wrapped. If I buy a scarf or accessory from a store which has a nicely designed plastic bag. I will just leave it in the bag and give it like that. I do like stores that do free gift wrapping with their presents though. They always do a better job.