Yoga On The Water

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by H.C. Heartland • Aug 18, 2016.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    The Parks and Recreation in the state where I live puts on a lot of free activities. There is archery, setting up camp training, seasonal activities, and the newest event I've seen is Yoga. They had up to 500 people this year camping and then doing daily yoga activities. Since the state park is located near a river and lakes, this meant they could take out a floating board and actually do the yoga practice on the water! Have you ever done this before? It seems to me I would be the first one in the water. But there must be something very relaxing about steadying yourself out on calm waters.

2. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I wish our community would set up such activities. There's really nothing to do in the town where I live. I like that in the US, people are given a chance to bond over fun and productive activities like fitness, and anything hobby-related. If only the government would implement something like that, people won't be too fixated on what they see on TV.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a great idea as long as it's safe. Personally I would still prefer to be on land and near the water instead, but for those who are experts and aren't likely to lose their balance and fall into the water I am sure it's a great option.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that sounds great! I have sadly never done anything like that before, or even heard of water-based Yoga. Do you know if it's a new thing? I wish I had access to such initiatives in Botswana, because not all of us can afford to join the gym :( I would imagine that doing Yoga in water would be a lot harder but would be a lot more effective. I bet it's not something they'd recommend for beginners or people who can't swim.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    That is so cool! I wish I had local events like this. My boyfriend's family lives near the bay area and they do have yoga on the water there. It looks peaceful, but I wouldn't be able to partake. I would be the only one who falls in the water and I am sure that my screaming and flailing about would not be calming. I do check my parks and rec site frequently for free activities like this near me.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    TO be honest, this area is surrounded by a large lake...and there is a yoga studio that is right across the road from it. They could do something like this. However, my guess is their prices would be higher than parks and rec. I would think there would be liability issues with classes like that..At the least you would have to sign a waiver for class participation.

7. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe you could teach yourself using an online course and then offer your services to the community. At first you might have to offer this resource for free with maybe a donation box for expenses incurred, but in time if people really like it, you might be able to start charging a fee and even renting a room somewhere. Ask schools if you might use their classrooms on the weekends when no one is there. It could be a great way to educate the community as to the benefits of exercises. The country where we live has begun to do Zumba on the holidays in the town center. Everyone loves it!

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure that sounds all that relaxing, but I guess once you were able to get it down and do it comfortably, then it might be more relaxing. I am just imagining me struggling a lot with staying on the board while it is in the water, but maybe I am picturing the whole scenario wrong. Anyways, it certainly sounds interesting, and it is nice for you to know that you have that option. Best of luck, and thanks for sharing.