You Color Your Hair With What?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by iampeebs • Sep 5, 2012.

1. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    I was curious what out of the norm things you use to color your hair? My teenagers like to use Kool Aide and sharpies. I use the traditional box from the drug store. What do you use?

2. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I have colred my hair the same color for years. Not a licensed cosmetologist, but friends that are, I learned years ago how to save money on hair coloring. I buy the supplies at a beauty supply store. The developer last for months and only costs a few dollars. The coloring itself is usually about 4 dollars. So if you color your hair every other month it costs about 4.50. For top notch products. Just speak to the clerks at the stores, they are usually licensed as well and can led your way.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've never colored my hair, but I used to wear colored extensions back when I was in college. I mean, really deep, really bright, thoroughly colored this-can't-possibly-be-your-natural-hair-color extensions. I have very dark hair, and I was always too scared to mess with the color.

4. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I have hair color by using hair extensions. I've never used chemicals or liquid coloring to color my hair. I actually like my natural 1B color but like to have a new fresh look from time to time. Now I have extension twists in an auburn color 1B/33 mix. I don't care for hair colors that are too harsh looking.

5. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I use the cheapest hair color from wal-mart. Revlon color silk. I have used it for years. Its about 4 dollars a box. I have to use 3 because my hair is so long.

6. jaimie_lorraine

jaimie_lorraineMember

Threads:
    I work at a hair salon so I strictly use Redken hair color. Getting your hair professionally done may cost more, but it does way less damage then using box color. If you damage your hair then you will have to purchase additional products in order to correct it, which is why you should get it professionally done in the first place. When I was younger I used kool-aid and it washed out in a few washes so my mom had no problem with it. This can be fun for teens and younger children to do for a safer color application.

7. QueenPisces

QueenPiscesNew Member

Threads:
    I used to be obsessed with dying my hair, I didn't think my hair would get damaged and I hated having the same color for too long. Eventually, I realized all the dye which included Revlon and Loreal were drying and breaking my hair, I'm not saying this happens to everyone, but maybe if I had used store hair dye in moderation it wouldn't have become colored damaged, I suggest anyone interested in hair color to go to the salon they know best and the color looks very professional from good salons.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I used pretty much that exact same mix in high school, except that I would mix #2 and 33. In college I used crazy colors. Bright red, bright blue, etc. College was a strange time for me, haha! But I don't do that anymore. I'm all natural now.

9. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    Lol as I generally have to use several as my hair is so thick! I use the box stuff, but it doesn't stay well with my hair. The salon color wears out too for me even thou I use the protective shampoo and such. I figure once it wears out, I just grab another box that strikes my fancy.

10. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    I've only colored my hair for Halloween and one time in my crazy high school days when I wanted to see just how bright red I could make my hair. It turned out that blazing fire engine scarlet was the limit. Haha!

My hair is starting to change at the temples as I get older, but I still won't die it to cover the graying or whitening. They are my badges of honor at having survived life so far! I also simply think it looks good. In my opinion, some women color their hair for much too long. It is ridiculous to see an 80 year old woman with red or black hair.

11. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I color my hair all the time with any kind of hair dye. I just colored my hair a blonde and brown, I used Revlon and Clairol, its pretty easy.

12. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I have colored my hair using hair dye and a natural remedy called henna. I love burgundy and lavender hair colors. Also, its very important to keep your hair healthy by moisturizing and deep conditioning after using regular hair dye, because it can damage your hair.

13. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    I used a purple henna once and loved it as it was like a muted eggplant and gave my hair depth. I have crazy thick hair, so I am fortunate on what can be done to my hair chemical wise.

14. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I normally have my hair coloured at a hair salon. The product they use is a colour and treatment all in one so it keeps my hair in a pretty good condition. My sister has recently started to use henna on her hair. I am not opposed to using henna but its such a messy affair to apply that I think I will stick to the hair salon.

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I use jazzin for hair dye since I can't use the permanent color in my hair. I am allergic to hair dye so I can only use that one but I would like to know what I can use naturally to dye my hair instead of going to the beauty supply store every two weeks to buy it. Any suggestions, I only use black.

16. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I used to see my hairdresser for coloring, but she charges so much. It would cost me $50 dollars a month just to color my hair and frankly the color would only really last for 2 weeks. Since I was not enjoying paying so much, I went to the drugstore and bought Clairol's Nice N' Easy and got my mom to do it for me. Best 10 bucks I ever spent lol!

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been to many salons and never liked the cut or colour I came home with so I started doing it myself. I've honestly loved my hair ever since. I stopped dying my hair last summer though. Just waiting for it to finish growing out, then I'll decide what's next :)

18. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The majority of hair dye on the market contains very harsh chemicals which are not good for you. These toxic chemicals are not designed for humans, humans will never adapt to them.

You could try using natural dyes but I'm not sure how that would work. What I do know is that dying is an ancient tradition, thus our ancestors must have tried it.

19. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I go to the salon to have my hair colored. I do it every four months. I'm wearing light brown. I like this color because it compliment my skin complexion.

20. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Kool Aid and Sharpies? That's an interesting choice of products to use to colour hair, your teenagers are pretty inventive. I'm assuming that you don't let them colour their hair using hair products? I use Henna, it is nourishing to the hair and it won't harm it because it's like a mud substance with no chemicals; it also leaves your hair shiny. My mother uses the boxes from stores as well.