You Don't Have To Buy Gifts For Everyone Who Sends You A Gift

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Denis Hard • Jun 4, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people's dilemma is how they'll repay those who buy them gifts on their birthdays, around Christmas time, etc. While one isn't obliged to get the other person a gift, most feel they owe a debt they must repay it in kind.

Question though is do people buy others gifts because they expect to be repaid? Most don't. A simple "thank you" would suffice.

Ever felt obliged to buy someone a gift because they bought you a gift?

2. kristin

kristinNew Member

Threads:
    Gifts are from the heart. I have not felt obliged to buy others gifts simply because they bought me one because it makes gift giving pointless. A heartfelt thank you is all that is needed. I think it would be nice if the gift giver was considered the next time a gift is an option. To me, the important point is that it is heartfelt and not obligatory.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people do expect gifts in return, but I am at the age and also financial situation where is' not possible and most people I know can buy whatever they want anyhow.

I would rather buy them a drink or meal. Sometimes a friend will pick up a book for me or an art piece and that's thoughtful and they don't expect anything back.

I once bought a friend for her birthday a domain name and some business cards to help her get started on her own business, but she never appreciated it and all her other friends thought it was a great gift. I never wanted anything back, just for her to use it as an incentive to do the talk she was always on about (dog walking and grooming business), but she didn't.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I've been down that road. I've most certainly felt obligated at times to buy a gift for someone simply because they bought one for me. And I've also bought gifts for people because they maybe did me some kindness or other that made me just want to get some little something special for them. The special would be gone if they then felt they had to buy me something, too. And that last part is why I don't worry about it anymore. If someone gives me an unexpected gift I just accept it, be grateful and be happy...And maybe down the road somewhere I might find some reason to buy them something, too. Then again, maybe not. That opportunity might never come.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy gifts just because I expect to be repaid, but when I was still in school, I felt that I must give gifts to those who gave me one, but it's because they were my friends and I was only 11 years old at that time. Nowadays, I don't give someone a gift just because they gave me a gift, all the more if they have high paying jobs, lol!

6. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    When I buy a gift for somebody I expect nothing in return. It is given from the heart. I have always liked the motto that it is better to give then receive. I enjoy buying for others. On the other hand though, when somebody gives me a gift I always feel like I have to give one in return.

7. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    When I give gifts I don't expect anything in return. I do know people that do expect things in return all the time though and I find it can get quite tense at times if I don't have a gift for them in return as they can get quite upset about it. I like to give people gifts but I find with certain people it can feel more like a chore because they expect it.