You get what you pay for

Discussion in Online Shopping started by addicted_buyer • May 29, 2012.

1. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    This is something that most people don't seem to get. The other day I was watching this TV show that showed some of the purchases they had made at dealextreme.com (a Chinese gadgets store) and they complained about how crappy the quality was. What can you expect for paying $2 with free shipping?!

I also read an article about a guy who took his Samsung external hard drive to Samsung support because it was supposed to have 250gb capacity but only had 2gb available. Turns out that, when they opened it, there was only a flash drive and an adapter inside. The guy ended up confessing he bought it from a Chinese (physical store). How could you be so stupid to expect a 250gb to be worth less than $5? Really?!

There are items with great and terrible quality. They vary depending on how much you're willing to pay. I know it sounds obvious to most of you, but still, some people do not seem to get it.

2. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that is kind of odd that people would be complaining about stuff like this! If you are paying for something that cheap, then you should not expect to get a huge product in return. Come on people get with the program!

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I totally agree with you on that one. It stands to reason that if a product is generally advertised at say $50, if someone is selling it for $5 it's not going to be brilliant. Some people want something for nothing all the way down the line. I will never go with the cheapest version of something, but I assume that by going mid-range I'll get a product that does what I want it to do without having to spend a fortune.

4. abbywillow

abbywillowNew Member

Threads:
    I see people bidding on '925' silver all the time on eBay, and then complaining later that they got ripped off when the silver wasn't sterling. For one thing, Chinese law regulates that sterling silver cannot be shipped overseas, and '925' is not .925. I think it's funny- like you can actually get 200 grams of sterling silver for $10? Then people complain when there is no melt value or their bulk necklace purchase fell apart in their hands. Silver costs way more than that, bulk or otherwise. If it sounds too good to be true, well by golly, you can bet that it is!

5. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    ...I'm sorry but there comes a point where you deserve everything you get. I mean you have to think - "If it costs 450 from the producer and most used items are selling for 230, how then can anyone make money if they are selling it for .25?" Of course some people wouldn't know a scam if it stabbed them in the back.

6. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    This is very true. If you do not have the proper payment in place, then the quality can easily suffer for the items you are buying. So you should take this into consideration because you truly do get what you are paying for.

7. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    I think it depends, I've bought some items from china for anywhere from $1-$2 (mostly phone cases) and I've never had a problem. Its really important to check seller ratings on sites like ebay. I always order from powersellers or high rated sellers.

8. Yuvastyleindia

YuvastyleindiaMember

Threads:
    I think that most of online stores provides genuine products. We get always that we have paid for. People recommend some famous sites which are mostly known for genuine products. If we don't get the same that we have paid for, we can also return back as there is also a return policy by online stores.

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Most Chinese stores only sell knockoffs. I'm particularly complaining about people who buy gadgets there for less than 5 bucks and then complain of how bad the quality is. It's pretty much obvious that if the price is too low, the quality will be low as well. It also applies for people who try to buy stuff for a much cheaper price than the "real" one. If a tablet that's branded and has great specs is worth $200, if you buy a knockoff for $50, you don't have the right to complain about it being crappy.

But, of course, if you buy items from stores that only sell genuine products (and you pay the real price for them) then sure, if you get a product of bad quality, you do have the right to complain and to get your money back.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, maybe those people have not heard of the saying that "you get what you pay for" so they actually think that they can get away with a quality product for such a very low price. I have tried shopping at Deal Extreme too, but I bought a bag there, and it costs more than the "gadgets" that they sell, so I'm guessing that it will last for a long time. :p I'm not really a fan of Chinese made gadgets, but if I will be buying non electronic items like bags then I think that it's ok to buy from Chinese sellers.