You Need A Budget

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by Heather B • Mar 29, 2015.

1. Heather B

Heather BNew Member

Threads:
    Does anyone else use this software? My husband and I watched all the videos and tried the free month long trial. We have been so pleased with the fact that we have stayed on track with our budget that we paid the one time $60 license fee to get the software for good. It works beautifully. It's a zero-based budget, and is very flexible. We are a one-income household, and I spend most of my time trying to find ways to save us money so this works out very well for us. We're in our 30's and this is our FIRST budget!! I know, it's about time. I highly recommend it.

2. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I use YNAB and I'm a huge fan. I got it on sale last winter for $15, and it has really helped us toward our savings goals. I'd really recommend it to anyone that's trying to get their finances under control.

We have a 2 income household, but I picked up YNAB when my husband found a job after being unemployed for a while. We'd been able to get by on just my salary, so I wanted to make sure that when our income increased our spending didn't double along with it. It's done a good job of keeping us on track for things like paying down student loans and building up a house downpayment fund.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I've never heard of the YNAB software. I just use a calculator and jot down everything in a notebook. However, when I'm pressed for time, I mentally estimate my savings for the month and the amount I'm willing to allocate for random expenditures and utility bills. It's the system that works for me at the moment. When I've learned how to be more organized, I might give that software a try.

4. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I really recommend it. There is a 34 day free trial (so you get a bit more than a month) and it's definitely worth trying. I do recommend watching in the intro videos and attending the (free) webinars. YNAB is both a piece of software and a philosophy, and the webinars really help you figure out how to use the software in a way that is consistent with their four budgeting rules. They can also give you some tricks to make the software a little quicker to use.

5. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    This sounds like something I need to look into. I have to admit, I just never was taught how to budget and it takes a lot for me to make ends meet and to have the necessary discipline. Thanks for sharing.

6. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    I tried some softwares, but all apps has some limitation. So, I have used excel spread sheet. It is very simple to use and free. "Do you want to add the first expense "the cost of spreadsheet"? I recommend.

7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard of this software. I guess it's worth looking into when you want to save but may not work if others depending on your salary doesn't adhere to it, I feel. Am I wrong?