You Needn't Spend Too Much Money On Air Purifiers

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Jun 12, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Been spending some money buying expensive purifiers to improve the air quality in your house?

There's a way you could save that money. Plants are always absorbing gases which are a key ingredient for photosynthesis. Not only is the excess carbon dioxide in the air absorbed, toxins present in the air also get absorbed leaving the air much purer.

The efficacy of that purification would depend on how many plants you have in The House. Or you could grow one climbing plant to make things easier.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's true, some plants like the Snake Plant and Golden Pothos filter out the formaldehyde found in many cleaning products.
    And as an added bonus, houseplants are a cheap way to decorate your house. Any room instantly looks better with a parlor palm or peace lily in it.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this is a great idea, and I would love to do it. I used to have some indoor plants, but my cats enjoyed eating them, and ate them all up. They tend to do the same on the balcony. Last year, I planted some lettuce, and promptly forgot about it. I kept seeing them gnawing on the greens in one of my pots, then remembered I'd planted lettuce, so I would say they were eating salad.

I do prefer natural methods of cleaning and am concerned about the air quality in this house, so I wish I could get some plants. The one exception I have right now is a bamboo plant, which I have placed high up away from anything they can climb on, so they can't reach it.

Here's a list of toxic and non-toxic house plants, just in case anyone reading this has pets.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I live it's traditional to have an indoor patio. The center of the house in a garden under an open sky. The living quarters are arranged around this indoor garden. It's a great way to live in the tropics.
    The rain falls directly onto the plants into the garden which has special channels to clear away excess water.
    I really enjoy this style of living.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been in a few homes like that, and have always loved them. That would be my absolute favorite type of house to live in. I love the idea of being able to still be in my home, yet being out in nature, and relaxing about the cats getting out, without harm coming to them.

One question I have always had about the indoor patios is how to remove the rain, and it sounds as if there is plumbing to divert the rainwater probably under the house, and outside the perimeter. Does that sounds correct? If you have any pictures and want to post, I'd love to see them.

6. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Have you mentioned "Money plant" already? They're great for indoor growing and grow very fast. Also, known as Jade plants they grow at a rapid pace if give a little sunlight. They have fleshy leaves and absorb more CO2 than many other plants.

Yes, it's a great idea to purified air without emptying our pockets.