You should keep hydrating yourself while exercising

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Jun 4, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, before I used to go on for running 2 hours continuously without stopping to drink water and hydrate myself. I thought it was just fine. But recently I've known its importance. It's important because proper hydration of the body keeps the body functioning properly and just aids in the proper metabolism. Also dehydration causes uric acid build up. When one works out, he uses up a lot of calories, as a byproduct of this, he sweats. The body needs water to metabolize and the sweat also comes from the fluid provided by the water in the body. So water is used up more during work out so dehydration is very likely to occur. When one lacks water in the body, his cells will shrink and of course, he's gonna feel weak. During a work out, feeling weak will decrease the workout efficiency. Instead of performing better, one would be performing worse.

2. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    So if you are running, or walking as I do, how do you keep hydrated while in the middle of the workout? I have been thinking about this and wonder if I should put the water bottle where I can get to it along the trail?

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    No one knows this more than me. I use to workout without eating or drinking water before my exercise session. Yeah, I know that was really dumb. My workouts typically last between 35 - 50 minutes. Eventually my body sort of shut down and I fell ill for at least 2 months due to this habit. Afterwards, I started to do things the right way. I eat a healthy breakfast, drink lots of water, and wait at least 45 minutes before I do a workout.

4. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    If you are going for a long run (or a bike ride in my case) you should always carry ample water with you. They make pouches specifically for running that will hole a water bottle or two and your keys and ID. These are well designed to fit around your waist and to hold everything firmly so that things don't bounce around. If you are going out for several hours you should also make sure to jog by a place to make a pit stop should you need a washroom.

While hydration is in people's minds at this time of year, it is equally important to remain hydrated in the winter or when swimming. It is easy to forget to drink water when it is cool or we are in the pool so if you are out for a swim this summer, don't forget the water there as well.

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband was recently working out after having been sick over the weekend and passed out! We think the medicine he was taking made him dehydrated and then when he began working out it was more than what his body normally can handle. He went to get a glass of water when he became light headed and then the next thing he knew, he was on the floor soaked with water! Our friends said a similar thing happened to him and so he just laid down and elevated his feet. On a recent doctors visit, he was told our assumptions were probably true. This showed to me the importance of extra water intake after one is ill, because the body might be dehydrated.

6. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    It is very important to drink lot's of water, while exercising. A piece of advice drink from glass bottles if possible, and avoid drinking water from old pipes. Plastic bottles have synthetic estrogen in them so they might decrease your testosterone, and old pipes have BPA, which is very cancerogenic.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's really important to always bring a bottle of water you can refill to the gym! Specially if you are doing aerobics or something that demands really high energy like running, spinning and such!

8. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    My wake up call was playing tennis one day and feeling very sick afterwards and throwing up. The doctor said it was due to dehydration aggravating some preexisting symptoms. Ever since then, I carry a full water bottle when exercising and drink as often as I can. Now I can work for longer periods and push myself harder than before. Water really is life.

9. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    I learned this the hard way lately. So I was about to change my habits and start working out everyday, nothing special really just some light cardio, so I did my routine for three straight days and I was sweating like a pig. I don't really feel anything funny until the fourth day where I began to feel some jumpy fever and diarrhea. Turns out I was all out of water in my body, although I drink water after every workout it seems that it isn't enough to fully hydrate my body.

10. IrishLad

IrishLadNew Member

Threads:
    Hydration is so important during exercise. I make sure to drink water before I go for a run, during my run and after my run. I just leave a bottle by the side of the track, and take a sip every lap. I'm on so much better form when I'm hydrated, water makes such a big difference to athletes, and most don't even realise.

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Hydration will absolutely allow you to have better workouts and recover faster before and after workouts. I noticed when I started hydrating a lot before and after, I would be fine the next day to keep exercising. That for me has always been the biggest hurdle towards consistent exercising; getting in a consistent schedule. Staying hydrated has made my body feel a whole lot better the next day.

12. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    This is so true. Do any of you remember when someone like your gym teacher would spout out that old wives tale, "Don't drink water while you're exercising, you'll cramp up!" Well, that is so bogus. When I am exercising, especially outside in the Summertime where it gets up to 100 degrees here, I always keep plenty of Gatorade or Powerade on hand. It is way more thirst quenching than water is. And it provides your body with a lot of the electrolytes that you lose in your sweat.