Your Best Bargain Lately?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Clairelouise84 • May 6, 2015.

1. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    My fiancée and I went to our local supermarket on Sunday at around 3:45, 15 minutes before closing time and we picked up some great bargains! We got two packs of bagels for 1p each and a loaf of bread for 1p. We then went around to the meat section and got two 600g packs of mince for 40p each! It looked great (we are very fussy when it comes to meat as have both had food poisoning before) but we have frozen it all and will get s many meals out of 83p!
    What is your best bargain that you have got lately?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, @clairelouise, that's fantastic, good for you! That's the best bargain ever, I just can't believe you got all that for 83p! Food in Botswana is so expensive I rarely see any bargains, even when there are offers! I've always said the UK although expensive, is very reasonable when it comes to food. We pay about the same sort of prices as we did in the UK for our weekly shop and I think that's crazy when you think that for every £1 you get about P15. It's mental! If I find an amazing bargain, I'll come back and post :)

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually get my bargains on Sundays at the Farmers' market. At around four o'clock in the afternoon it's closing time, and everything that the farmer's couldn't sell in the previous two days goes cheap or even for free, depending on the state of the fruit and vegetables. Usually, they are in excellent condition. The farmers have to get rid of the produce quickly because often they only come to the market on weekends, and their fruit and vegetables would spoil if they had to take it back to their farms again.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just got back from vacation and I got a huge bargain on the souvenirs I purchased for friends back home. I always try and get a good discount whenever I'm buying in bulk because I'm able to feel less guilty about asking for a lower price if I know I'm buying more anyway, and that's exactly what I did by buying a lot of pieces of the same item which in turn allowed me to save a lot on my souvenir expenses.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    My best deal this week actually happened at a Walgreens. They had these Nice brand white meat chicken sandwiches that were around six inches long with cheese for 42 cents. They were getting rid of them to make room for product rotation. I bought that whole section. :D

6. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    Thanks :) I was quite pleased with myself, we have made it a thing now that we go back every Sunday at the same time to look for the best bargains. That is a bit mad when you think about it really! Keep me posted!

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My best deal recently was free food. Well, it was at McDonald's, if you want to call that food. My daughter likes it though, and she asked me to grab her a burger and fries on my way home. The woman didn't hear me ask for the fries, and after waiting for my order, I then had to wait again for the fries to be made. Due to the extra wait, she just gave me the French Fries free of charge.

You did manage to score some great deals, Claire. I am all smiles when something like that happens. I would make it a regular thing too.

It's hard to beat 42 cents for a sandwich, Joan. Oh, I thought of another one. I got Lunchables for 50 cents the other day, because they were going out of date that day. Even big kids like those things for snacks.

8. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was in the Manager's Specials shelf at Kmart and bought a large family size box of Capn Crunch with Crunchberries for $2.49, four boxes of Rice A Roni for 60 cents each and a big family size bag (1 1/2 pounds) of Twizzlers for 99 cents.
    These are not amazing deals like the ones you guys found but at least I saved a little money on snacks we usually buy.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think one of the best deals in recent months was when I discovered Dollar Tree was selling canned artichoke hearts for only $1 each. And they were Progresso brand as well! These usually sell for close to $4 a piece at any other grocery store. I bought almost all of them out each time they showed up on their store shelves.

Yesterday I snagged a great deal on fresh "buffalo" chicken wings/drummettes (not the drumsticks) - these were normally $7+ per pack but they were knocked down to about $2.50 per pack because they were about to go past their expiration date. I bought two packs so I saved $10 right there! I wasn't too worried about them being so close to their expiration date, because I planned on using them right away to make chicken stock with in my pressure cooker. These pieces are fantastic for stock, but I seldom use them for it because they have gone up in price so much in recent years - so I usually use thighs instead.

Then today, I decided to order a pizza from a local pizza shop that we had never ordered from before, and the lady who took my order (who I am assuming is the owner) just arbitrarily decided to knock $3 of my order. Maybe she realized I was a new customer, and not a regular, I dunno.