Your Favorite Browser Extensions

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by DrRipley • Apr 18, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My browser is pretty bare. I've never put any extensions or tool bars because they looked very messy back then. But since they are of a much better quality nowadays and are a lot less prominent especially for Chrome, I'm now planning on installing some useful or fun browser extensions. So I'm looking to you guys to suggest your favorite ones that you find useful in improving the browsing experience.

2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Using firefox, the most important extensions for me are Adblock Plus, Download Statusbar, QuickDrag and smoothwheel. All of those are important tools to have a good experience when browsing the web.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I only use AdBlock (which is great not only to block ads, but pretty much anything you want to block on a certain domain) and one extension that works as a proxy so that I can watch Hulu or NBC videos even if I'm not in the US.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The proxy extension sounds really interesting. Care to share the name with us? :) I have one called Hola Unblocker but it didn't really work as well as I'd hoped, and by that I mean it didn't really work at all except for BBC online which I only ever used once.

5. Danblu

DanbluMember

Threads:
    In the early days of Chrome, when it didn't have many of today's features, I used to have a text to link converter, I could click a link even if it wasn't identified as one at first. It was very practical and useful, no need to copy and paste links every time.

Now days though, I only use one extension and it's in Firefox only, DownThemAll. DownThemAll is a download manager with a very useful addition to it, it can download all the links he finds in a page, more specifically it can get all the pictures I'd want with just a couple of clicks. It's a great tool if you want to download various images at once without the hassle of right clicking and "Save as..." .

6. notafish

notafishNew Member

Threads:
    I am a heavy google chrome user and my favorite extension has got to be the ad block extension. It has been the most useful so far. I watch a lot of Youtube videos and those annoying ads poke my patience as I am waiting for the video. Well you do not have to worry about those when you are using ad block. Even the embedded video ads will not play anymore. It is really spoiling me.

DID I MENTION IT:

Blocks banners, pop-ups and video ads - even on Facebook and YouTube
    Protects your online privacy
    Two-click installation
    It's free!??????????

7. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    My favourite is Adblock. It has made browsing websites a lot faster and easier. Without all of the adverts to load, everything moves faster and my browser(s) crash a lot less often. It turned out that a lot of the time a page had stopped responding because an advertisement had failed to load! I also have quite a few "anti-tracking" extensions to stop behavioural advertisement companies from tracking my browsing habits.

8. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I have installed bunch of plugins on my browser. Apart from Adblock, I have installed FireFTP, SEOQuake, SEOByFirefox, DownloadHelper and Imacros since these plugins help me with my daily work. I don't use Chrome since I believe that it is a spyware created by Google to spy on our activities.

9. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    With Firefox I have Adblock Plus installed to remove annoying ads which I also installed Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper to remove the white spaces from the blocked advertisements. I have also installed Vacuum Places Improved to instantly clean my Firefox Database so it wont get bloated much with settings. I also have VideoDownload Helper installed to download all media from the internet.

With Chrome I only had Adblock installed for blocking ads.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Seems like Adblock is a popular choice, so I will try it out. As of now my favorite browser extension would be McAffee site advisor. It warns me of harmful websites before it loads the page or whenever you use a search engine, so that I will have the option to cancel or proceed with loading the page.

11. chriswild1122

chriswild1122New Member

Threads:
    Would love to hear more about that add-on that acts as a U.S. proxy to watch Hulu or other such U.S. only channels. Does the original poster have any more information he can provide? In terms of what I use... basically Ad Block Plus and one other extension that allows me to see a quick preview of each Safari tab I have open. I don't like to clutter my browsers with too many extensions as I find it creates a lot of slowdown. Thanks for sharing everyone!

12. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Ad-block plus for me is the most important one. I know that blocking ads won't support the Youtube creators and such, but I don't want to be sitting through a one minute ad just to watch a 30 second video. It's not logical. The extension is also convenient if a website is full of ads. Blocking them easily helps.

13. asteriks

asteriksMember

Threads:
    I guess Adblock is everyone's favourite and lifesaver too. I like Google Quick scroll too. It's convenient when I am searching for something quickly and also send to Google Drive. It's convenient as I can just read what I sent to my Google Drive from anywhere in PDF format. I don't have to remember other websites or anything. If I find it interesting, I just send it and look it up again later.

14. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have accidentally installed a couple of toolbars in the past and I hate the look of them. However, I find two add-ons for Mozilla Firefox quite useful - Firebug and Color Picker. I use these add-ons to create and edit my sites. Since I don't know anything about coding, these tools are pretty useful for me.

15. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like to clutter my browser too much but my two favourite extensions are Adblock Plus (blocks ads) and Alexa Toolbar. That is pretty much all I need. :)

16. Mercy77

Mercy77Member

Threads:
    I'm with you on this one. I do not like to clutter my browser so the less I have the better. I do have the Video Download Toolbar and AVG that protects me from sites that are harmful. I think a lot of these extra extensions are just another way of spying and gathering information.

17. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I really like 'turn off the lights' for chrome and firefox. It enables you to dim the lights around a video, really helpful and great to prevent eye strain, one of my faves! One that is rather essential I think is adblock.

18. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I use Firefox. The extensions I am using for it are Greasemonkey, FlashGot, and Adblock. I mostly use Adblock for blocking commercial ads on YouTube and Hulu, and it's also good for blocking pop ups.

19. SoftDev

SoftDevNew Member

Threads:
    Using Firefox with extensions, adblock plus, iMacros, Roboform, forecastfox and many others.

#19Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  20. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    On Chrome my favorite extension, was the extension I was using to help me cycle thorugh videos. It was how I would get points to put towards my YouTube videos, to get views,subs and etc.