Your favorite game and what games you're looking forward to the most

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by iNg • Aug 7, 2012.

1. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Half Life series for me.

It might be hard to see from this time, looking back, but Half Life more or less created the modern shooter. It was one of the first games to have complex AI that reacted to what the player was doing. Black Ops soldiers pitching grenades at you when you hid from them, falling back when they were wounded, and trying to flank you was TERRIFYING at the time. Gamers had never seen anything like it.
    There aren't many modern games that I love playing through again. Half Life and Half Life 2 especially... I just did a run through HL2 and it's episodes over the weekend. And it is still as amazing as it was the first time.
    It's a real shame to say it, but HL2 is still THE bar in a number of ways. While other games have surpassed it in graphical fidelity, few if any at all have provided a story and cast of characters that are anywhere near as wonderfully human as HL2's.
    The game then ingratiated itself to the public further by having a fairly open, standard, and easy to use set of mod tools and an aesthetic that lent itself to all manner of new games. Thanks to Half-Life we got the likes of Team Fortress Classic, Counter-Strike, Cry of Fear, and countless others. By the early 2000's, Half-Life wasn't just a game but a functional platform.

I'm looking forward to Halo 4, Dark Souls(pc), Dishonored, Darksiders 2, Sleeping dogs, Watch dogs, Bioshock infinite and Borderlands 2.

#1Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Well since I don't play video games anymore, I'll only answer the first part of your question.

When I was a kid growing up, I really enjoyed the WWE SmackDown wrestling video games for the PS2. Also, I had fun with the sports games, like NHL 2K2, NBA Live, etc. I was never really interested in the action or RPG games.

3. jaruri

jaruriNew Member

Threads:
    My all time favorite game is Diablo 2. I've played that game since it came out, and no matter how many times I stop, I always go back. I was excited about the release of Diablo 3, but it was quite the disappointing, especially after the years of diablo 2 I played.
    I play all sorts of games though, RTS, RPG, FPS, Racing, Fighting, pretty much every genre except sports games (like FIFA and Madden). A couple of my other favorite picks would be, COD4, CS1.6, Morrowind, Starcraft (and SC2), and Borderlands.

For my most anticipated upcoming game, it would probably be Guild Wars 2. Its out in 2 weeks and I can't wait. I spent over a thousand hours on the original Guild Wars and the expansions. I love their pay once and play the game forever. The main reason I stay away from MMOs is that the best ones often have a monthly fee associated with it. Guild Wars and the sequel don't, so I can feel safe in just paying 60 for the game, and not having to worry much about if I want to keep paying a subscription fee.
    From the looks of it, GW2 will have way more then 60 dollars of enjoyment for anyone who buys the game.

4. ktrevino93

ktrevino93New Member

Threads:
    My favorite game of all time is Diablo 2, as well. It's one of those games that just doesn't get boring, have played it for 10 years and I actually like the classic graphics. A very close second would be Counter-Strike 1.6. I think it's one of the best FPS games ever created and I have played it for a very long time as well.

The game I'm most looking forward to is Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, which I have high hopes for. A few months ago it was Diablo 3.

5. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    I'm also a CS1.6 player, and based on that, i think cs:go is pretty horrible at the moment, I've been playing the beta every now and then, it's a nice game but a bad counter-strike. I have more hope in cspromod than cs:go tbh.

6. Beetler76

Beetler76Member

Threads:
    I agree, TFC and CS were both amazing games for their time. I'm addicted to MW3 and can't wait for black ops 2.

7. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    why not some battlefield? :p COD series has very little variation :/

8. ktrevino93

ktrevino93New Member

Threads:
    Yeah that's the way a lot of 1.6 players feel, Honestly, I'm just being optimistic. It seems like valve is trying their best to make a good combination between 1.6 and source, Which I don't mind. It will be different, but maybe that's just what I need after 9 years of 1.6. Like I said I'm just being optimistic, I would love for GO to combine both player bases. Sadly I have not got to play either promod or GO, but I'm interested in both.

9. Daz

DazNew Member

Threads:
    My favourite game of all time has to be Counter-Strike on the PC, I remember playing it from the BETA stages right the way through until the last couple of years where it seems to have been replaced by the poor attempt that is CS:Source. I could spend hours upon hours playing it, there really is no AI that can compare to playing against real opponents and teams online and trying to out think the other player and team, absolutely fantastic!

As to what games I'm looking forward to, I was keen to try CS:GO but having given it a quick spin on the Xbox recently I was absolutely gutted to see what they had done to my favourite game, so I guess the games I'm looking forward to this year now are FIFA 13 as it sounds like there will be a lot more to the career mode this year and F1 2012 as I love the 'realism' of the game.

10. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    My top favorite game is Half-Life 2: Episode Two and it was created in 2004. Half Life is a shooter game with an awesome storyline about how you have to escape from the combine soldiers, and you have to form a resistance to fight them. It's a great video game.

11. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't consider myself a one-favorite-game kind of guy. I enjoy games in every genre. For platforming I'd have to go with "meh-rio" and the DKC series.
    Roleplaying games is where it's at for me. I've grown to love Western RPG's. I think Wild Arms for PS1 has one of the best VGM of all time.
    I'm really looking forward to playing Skyrim on my future HD 7850 card.

12. Methrend

MethrendNew Member

Threads:
    I don't really have any favourite games - just whatever I'm playing at the time. I rotate a lot of my games, I'll play a few for a while, then stop and play something else for a month or so, then go back to older ones, etc. The ones I find myself going back to a lot are Half-life (all of them), Skyrim, Binding of Isaac, Borderlands and Diablo 3. All of them keep me playing, but after too much I'll get bored and not play it for a few weeks.

I'm really looking forward to Borderlands 2 - it looks amazing! I also have Torchlight 2 on pre-order, which should be fun (playing it only co-op with my partner)

13. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    The next installment of Assassin's Creed should be pretty remarkable. I know a lot of people enjoy this game and I have invested plenty of hours into the previous two. When it arrives it is goodbye social life and hello improved dexterity.

14. ridwan sameer

ridwan sameerNew Member

Threads:
    Crash Bandicoot was my childhood game :)
    But other than that from the latest games.. Probably Assassins Creed, God of war, Uncharted :)

15. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    The only game I play now is World of Warcraft. Actually I have been playing it for years and I am still not bored yet. Now I am looking forward to buying Mists of Pandaria. I hope I can save up enough loose change before it is released.

16. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    GTA IV. I've been a Grand Theft Auto fan for only a short while, but the latest trailers have me blown away. There's no release date yet, but I'm already biting my nails over it.

17. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    I'm fairly big on games from the 90's. I used to spend countless hours playing Age of Empires on my Windows 98. To this day I still play the classics and they just don't seem to get old, well.. perhaps a bit more bland. The music in those games brings life and my nostalgia sprouts forth.

18. vaericke

vaerickeNew Member

Threads:
    Dota or defense of the ancients is one of my favorite concepts, HON and LOL are the other games that are Dota based and I enjoy playing them. RF or rising force is another game that I enjoy since it is an RPG or role playing game and I get to do a lot of stuff with my character. Fighting other races, leveling up and other activities like selling, buying intense weapons, mining, pit boss hunts and a lot more.

19. Vadim

VadimNew Member

Threads:
    My favourite game... hmm. Probably Minecraft just due to its scope and re-playability. I mean, single player is always fun and different and the server feature makes it even more fun since you can play with your friends and other people from around the world. That said, it can get a bit stale eventually if you plat it too much (like me haha).

Game I'm looking forward to the most? Borderlands 2. I loved the first one, which I spent hours and hours on end getting max achievements on. I'm sure I'll be doing the same for this game as well, the videos are already making me too excited as it is haha.

20. husstopher

husstopherMember

Threads:
    I really enjoy playing the Halo and Final Fantasy series. Since I enjoy the FPS and RPG styles of gaming. The next game that I'm looking forward to is Halo 4 due to the fact that its made by a company that 100% dedicated towards Halo.