Your Favorite kind of Cake

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Dec 11, 2014.

1. DianeC

DianeCNew Member

Threads:
    I'm a cake mix person because it saves time and I think that there are some excellent mixes these days. I am a layer cake person and my favorites are chocolate and coconut. For a change lemon, and for some unknown reason I like that in the summer months. I guess it is the idea of the citrus and color that seem to go with other summer foods.

2. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    I like almost all cakes, although in varying amounts. A good chocolate mud cake is perfect for most occasions, but it can get a little rich if you eat too much. Ice cream cake has always been a favorite of mine, there is something special about having a cake made of ice cream. Flavors of ice cream don't matter too much for me, and some of the unorthodox flavors are really delicious. Normally I would buy my cakes from the shops, but a warm homemade carrot cake on a cold night is amazing. I tend to enjoy the icing the best as there is not too much variation. Sometimes the cake itself can be quite dry if not done right, but the icing almost always saves the day.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not big into cake. I don't eat it that often, and for me to really enjoy it I have to have a sliver. However, I do appreciate quite a few different types. Those are marble, red velvet, carrot and chocolate. I don't like icing and always scrape it off. Instead, I prefer frosting as it's lighter and fluffier. Of course, home made is always the best. I can't bake to save my life, sadly :(

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't say that I have one kind of cake that is my favorite. Cake is cake, in my book, unless it has certain ingredients in it that I hate. But other than that I am not really that discriminate where cake is concerned. I suppose that I would be better of listing some of the cakes that I an not too fond of, rather than listing my favorite cake. I am not too much a fan of carrot cake. I have never liked foods where things get stuck in between my teeth, and the carrot tends to. I don't like cakes with crunchy peanuts on top of or in them either. Ewww.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually love all kinds of cake but I love chocolate cake the most. I am not really sure why I like it the best but I still prefer it over anything else. I always wait for an opportunity to buy chocolate cake and try eating it as much as possible.

6. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Lemon cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting and lemon pudding laced through it. I make it every year on my boyfriends birthday. It has become a tradition for us. He has loved my cake since the first time I ever made it. It is so easy to make to. You just buy lemon cake mix and two boxes of lemon pudding. Cream frosting and Chocolate syrup. Make the cake pouring 1 of the boxes of pudding in with the cake. Bake as usual. Make the second box of pudding as directed. After cake has cooled, before pudding sets, poke holes in cake then pour liquid pudding over cake. Then cover with cream cheese frosting mixed with chocolate warmed up. Put into the fridge for at least an hour. It is awesome!

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Except for the occasional slice of carrot cake, I was more of a pie person. However, when I went to TX over the holidays, family took me to this place that had butter pecan with bourbon sauce and cream cheese icing. Talk about delicious and when I forgot about it, I found a place out here that sells an Italian butter cake without the extras but still good.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    I love cakes. I would say that they are one of my biggest weaknesses, to be honest. Fairy cakes are a big one for me lol. I only have to see one and I will gobble it down. Butter frosting is the devil because it tastes so freaking good. One of my favorite cakes, of all time though, is Red Velvet. It has this really unique taste to it. Even the sponge itself has this unique taste to it. Beautiful and delicious.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Dobash cake and can eat half of it at one sitting, when I was younger. Now it's no sugar added anything. Hawaii is not big on no sugar added yet, but it's catching on. Too bad for me that sugar free is expensive! Now I only hope and window shop for sugar free pastries, alas I found only no sugar added fruit turnovers and sugar free cookies.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite kind of cake is German chocolate cake with coconut pecan frosting. I bake cakes sometimes from recipes I find on Pinterest, but I don't mind buying bakery markdowns or even using cake mixes sometimes to save time.
    When I can, I bake. When I can't, I take shortcuts. I think the Walmart bakery is underrated. They have some great cakes and breads.

11. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I love cheesecake, but rarely ever have it. I usually make homemade sheet cakes for family members' birthdays. Generally, I purchase boxed cake mixes from scratch that are on sale or seasonal discounted cake mixes for less than $1 each. For example, after Halloween the Halloween funfetti cake mixes go on clearance, even though their sell-by date is good for another year! I also usually use store bought frosting, just because it is convenient. I have made cakes from scratch before, as well as frosting, but they usually do not turn out as good as the store bought versions. Does anyone have a good recipe for cake from scratch to share?

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    This may seems king of boring, but I had some chocolate fudge cake for Christmas. I had not had anything sweet up until that point for months, thanks to my new healthier diet. But for Christmas I indulged in a little bit of chocolate fudge cake, and I was blown away by how good it tasted. It was just the right moisture, just the right density. Perfect. So for right now my favorite is chocolate fudge cake.

13. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I think one of my favourite cakes is carrot cake with a cream cheese frosting. I'm terrible at baking so whenever I'm out to dinner and I see it on a dessert menu I get it. I'm not a big fan of regular cakes and sweet icing. I love a good cheesecake as well. Does cheesecake count as a cake? My favourite is a blueberry cheesecake with a shortbread bottom. My childhood friend's mom made it and I've never forgotten it.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    My favourite is definitely Black Forest cake. If I see it and is able to acquire it then I really must have it.This sumptuous dessert originated in a Southern region of Germany. Some of the ingredients are chocolate, whipped cream and cherries. I rate the Black Forest Cake to be the greatest dessert that has ever been made.

15. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    A chocolate-mocha cake would definitely satisfy my cravings right now. Nothing to specific though, as long as it's a choco-mocha cake. I'm not a huge cake lover though because I tend to easily grow tired of cakes when I eat them all the time. I mean, I might love them when I eat them for the first or second time, but after that I won't eat them for another three days so it becomes wasteful.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I could pick just one favorite cake - it really depends on what I'm in the mood for. I do tend to favor something other than plain old chocolate or vanilla, such as a marble cake, carrot cake, or banana cake. Though I absolutely love cheesecake, I think of that more like a pie to be honest.

I also really enjoy a pineapple upside down cake, and I've been meaning to try a "tres leches" cake with the three milks poured into it, since that sounds really delicious.

As for frostings, I generally prefer something lighter and whipped. A fondant frosting for example, would be my least favorite. Anything in between I am fine with, but they can sometimes be a bit greasy and heavy.

17. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    We like creamy cakes, especially, lemon meringue pie, coconut cream, strawberry shortcake, Sara Lee strawberry cheesecake. A lot of times I would bake cupcakes with the kids. It is lots of fun, yummy and not that expensive!

18. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I love a really great moist pound cake if it is done right. However, I adore homemade cream cheese icing, preferably Italian Creme Cake or Carrot. Honestly though, I'm a baker! I like a variety of things and do get tired of eating the same thing over and over. I love trying new recipes. Allrecipes.com is probably my favorite site for good new recipes with honest reviews.

19. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I can narrow it down to one......I love cheesecake and I love chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. Plus, I have never been one to turn down birthday cake......ANY birthday cake regardless of flavor. Birthday cake, whether it is mine or someone else's makes me happy.