Your Favorite Non-English Movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Dec 10, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of reading subtitles, but I won't turn down watching a movie just because it isn't in English either. I think it's a little harder to get into, but after the first few minutes, as I get into the movie more, I get used to it and it isn't such an obstacle anymore.

I think when a movie is great, the subtitles cease to become a hindrance. In fact, I think it's superior to dubbed version most of the time, because hearing the movie in its actual local language adds a great deal of charm, in my opinion.

Some of my favorite ones are Apocalypto and The Ring. I didn't know anything about either movie coming into it, and within the first 10 minutes I was hooked, and pleasantly surprised to be as engaged as I was for a subtitled movie.

Which are your favorite non-English movies?

2. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say that the passion of the christ was the only movie that i ever watched that was in a language other than english that i thoroughly enjoyed. I was so into the plot and the workings of the movie that at a certain point in time i thought that the movie was in english. so that was definitely my favourite.

3. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I love Bollywood (from India) movies. There are so many that I have fallen in love with over the years. One that comes to mind is called Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Khan with Sharukh Khan. Just about every movie with Sharukh Khan is a favorite movie for me. I'm that much of a fan. :)

4. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I would say "Aurore", which is a French movie about a girl who's been treated badly. It is a sad movie because I feel for the main character, who has suffered through a lot of things. It's spoken on French but with English subtitles, otherwise I wouldn't understand the story.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite non-English movie would be Shutter, it's a Thai horror film. I have watched Apocalypto and I also think that it's a good movie, but I don't remember it being subtitled. I think The Passion Of Christ was good too, it was a very touching movie.

6. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite has got to be Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. This movie is cinematic masterpiece, it may be in black or white but that isn't a problem at all.

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, there's so many to mention. So to answer your question, I'll just say that I love just about every Korean romantic comedy and Japanese horror flick. These are the genres that they have perfected. Okay, let me give you some examples:

Always - Korean
    The Grudge - Japanese
    My Sassy Girl - Korean
    A Tale of Two Sisters - Japanese

8. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Ooh. I have to say, when I'm in the mood, I love a good foreign film. I only endeavor to sit through those that come very highly recommended though. There are several on my list that I could watch again and again:

- Amelie
    - The Intouchables
    - Run Lola, Run
    - Hero
    - Life is Beautiful