Your Favorite Posters & Paintings

Discussion in Home & Garden started by DrRipley • Jan 12, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm thinking of finding some paintings or posters to hang up on my bare wall but I'm having a bit of trouble choosing. I'd love to hear some of your favorites so I could get inspiration as my knowledge base of choices is a bit limited. I don't mind whether the posters or paintings are classics or contemporary as long as they are interesting. Also just feel free to share your own collection regardless of my requirements so all members can benefit from this thread. Thanks!

2. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    There were these paintings in my college that I absolutely loved. There was one of a clown or a jester of some that that I was really fond of. I wish I could've bought it from the school or something. I would say that those are among my favorites. I'm a fan of any painting that really gets my brain going. I love abstracts and pop arts the most.

3. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Most the paintings I have on my wall are consumer reprints of famous artworks from Van Gogh, Picasso, Salvador Dali, and not too famous people. As for posters, I have a but a few and the best one is a Bruce Lee poster I got from a friend, because Lee has always been a inspiration to never give up and innovate thyself to be better every day! Other things I have on my wall are personal portraits and affirmation phrases I read daily to motivate me.

4. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know why but I've always absolutely loved Starry Night by Van Gogh. Such amazing swirling colors, it is truly beautiful. I also love a of of Degas paintings and have some of those up in my office. I'd probably just start browsing around online if I were you though- I'm sure you'll see some prints you love in no time flat!

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer to put the posters of really good people who inspire me. I think it is best to always keep yourself inspired and motivated. I hope to be like this forever.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the painting Flaming June by Leighton and have a poster of it. I also like Evening Mood by Bougereau. I guess I'm into pre Raphaelite art even though I have mostly Asian decorative stuff on the walls.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like paintings of beautiful landscapes. As long as the painting is beautiful I don't care who painted it. Those [paintings] are the ones which adorn most of my walls. As for posters, I make my own. I do some 3D modeling and when I create something which I really like, it will end up adorning one [always only one] wall.

8. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite types of poster is the ones with the infographics. For example, someone in the house bought a huge poster of fishes and their types and we had it in our house for a long time. I think it got sold or someone found a better use of the poster because we no longer have the poster in our home.

I used to also like to have movie posters, as long as they were the happy, shiny ones and not the depressing ones like Schindler's List or Identity. I pretty much don't go around looking for them on my own because that would just be too difficult and time-consuming.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    My favourite posters include a lot of things about actors and their lives. I do believe that there is nothing better than using a inspiration.

10. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Just hang something that you really like and not because it was suggested by a friend or some expert. It's your wall anyway and you're the one that's going to see it often. :)

As for me, I have some cross stitch projects that I made and a few school art projects made by my kids that I've been planning to put up on my wall(s). I just don't have the budget yet to have them framed. Also, I think I need to repaint the walls first. :D

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OP , if you take good photos you can take a few of them to Kinko's and get them blown up to frame as wall art. Or Pinterest has a bunch of tutorials on how to make fake abstract art, even if you're not an artist.

12. Barry Walker

Barry WalkerNew Member

Threads:
    You should hang something which makes you feel happy.

My sister paints a lot and I just love her paintings. I have a wall art of roses which my sister gifted me on some occasion. Whenever I look at that painting, all my tiredness of daily work schedule just goes away in a minute. :)

13. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I really like typography, so I’m someone who would frame a beautifully laid-out quote of some sort. And anything with clean lines, because that would coordinate very well. In the end, it’s all a matter of taste and what gives you joy.

14. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Before I let my now ex move in with me, I had two awesome posters. The first was a B&W 36 x 24 scene depicting Sam Jackson and John Travolta in Pulp Fiction. It was the into scene where they were shooting the guy and the thing actually pointed to my bed. So lifelike it was scary, LOL.

The other was of Lenny Kravitz. This was also a B&W but the photographer took some interesting angles that highlighted the silver jumpsuit and jewelry. I hated parting with that but the poster gave my ex a complex since his "hot" days were long behind him.

15. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well everyone has different tastes, right? I think you should go with whatever makes you happy and suites your style. I personally like a mix of abstract art and bold typography.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would suggest looking for posters online - you could find a much bigger selection than what your typical craft store carries. I used to work at Pat Catan's (similar to Michael's if you're not familiar with the store) framing artwork there, and became all too familiar with the standard selection of reprints they sold. Kandinsky's "Circles" in particular I've seen countless numbers of times on home improvement shows, at friends houses, etc... Van Gogh's "Starry Starry Night" is another one that's incredibly common, as is Matisse's "Icarus". They're all beautiful paintings, but they're overused in home decorating imo.

Also, these stores carry framing kits in just about every size, so you can frame the artwork yourself instead of paying an arm and a leg having a frame shop do it for you.

17. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite paintings are those from Franz Xaver Winterhalter, who specialized in monarchic portraits throughout the 19th century. From Empress Sissi to Queen Victoria, there is a large selection of exquisite painting of his authorship,

And this, the personification of Spring, is among my favorites:

spring.

AllPosters and Art.com have a good selection of all type of prints and paintings with and without frames included.​

18. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite poster is Grumpy Cat in the same style as the Obama "Hope" photo from years ago, but it's Grumpy Cat with "Nope" underneath it. I always chuckle when I think that people might think it's an anti-Obama thing, even though it's really just a Grumpy Cat kind of thing with no political slant. It's amusing and attracts attention. Then I have a painting of three of our cats, which was mostly a joke gift, but it still is a nice painting nonetheless.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love to have nice and colorful sceneries as wallpapers, so most likely I would also prefer the same type of images if I am choosing a poster or a painting. Underwater images such as fishes in the sea are also soothing to look at.