Your Favorite Type of Keyboard

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Nov 4, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I never paid much attention to keyboards and thought that they were all pretty much the same, which is why I was often curious when I heard people complaining about their keyboards but that was before I got to experience the keyboard of an Asus laptop I got to test out recently. I'm not sure what type it would be categorized as but I'm assuming it's what is called a chiklet keyboard and while I never had problems with this type of keyboard before, the one in Asus was just too mushy and oddly placed due to it also still having a numpad section on the side. I've also heard mechanical keyboards are still the best but I'm wondering what other modern alternatives that could equal it.

What types of keyboards do you prefer? Which laptops do you think have the most exceptional keyboards? Which standalone keyboards do you like the most?

2. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    I own a Corsair Vengeance K95 mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches. I find it really nice, especially when I'm gaming, because the response you get immediately after pressing the key is very noticeable. Also, it doesn't make a clicky noise that the MX Blue switches make (I find it annoying sometimes) and is really smooth because the actuation force is very low. This way, the keyboard is also pretty good for typing because my fingers just flow across the keyboard. While typing with this keyboard compared to other keyboards, I have around a 115-135 WPM compared to 100-120 WPM.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's all personal preference. Mechanical keyboards are definitely the bes for gaming, though, and some people do type faster on them compared to other keyboards. I can type 120 to 150 words per minute on almost any keyboard except some of the lackluster options you'll find on laptops. For me, the only thing that really sets keyboards apart is the size of the backspace key. I can't use keyboards that have a backspace key the size of a normal letter key. It just doesn't work for me.

Otherwise, I'm down for whatever. I can use some chiclet keyboards, mechanical keyboards, ergonomic boards, and other layouts.

4. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I also used to not pay attention to computer peripherals. But after trying my friend's Razer mechanical keyboard (can't remember the exact model), I was blown away. I never imagined that a mechanical keyboard would have such a huge difference, especially in gaming. Of course, it all boils down to personal preference. In my case, I seemed to type faster after switching to my mechanical keyboard. Not really sure if that's only my imagination, but nonetheless, I'm really happy with it.

5. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really know what type of keyboards is my favorite. I don't think about the keyboard that much, since it usually comes in a package for the PC. I have recently made the switch to wireless keyboard and it works just fine. It's easier to clean than the regular keyboard and mouse set that comes with the cable. For gaming, though, I was offered different keyboard types, but since my PC is not for gaming purposes I didn't think it was necessary to use a different keyboard. My previous PC was an ASUS, and I had it modified to better suit gaming. But for the keyboard, I used the regular keyboard that was the factory setting and it worked just fine. It didn't really cause any problems.

6. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    The keyboard doesn't really matter to me, as long as the key spacing is sensible and isn't horribly crushed together like I see on some of these computers. Sometimes they're practically unusable and using the keyboard is just frustrating. So as long as the spacing is good, and the angle isn't terribly awkward, I don't mind really.

7. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    There isn't a real preference to me concerning keyboards. I am pretty good at gaming regardless of whatever keyboard or mouse I have. To be honest the whole "I am better at gaming" to me is all in the mind. If you believe that what you are using is better and helps you to be better then you will perform better.

8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an iPad, and it has the virtual keyboard that comes with it. I had used that for a yearor so, but when I upgraded the iPad, I also got a Zagg keyboard/case to go with it.
    This makes the iPad almost like having a laptop, and typing is much easier with the Zagg. the case is lightweight, and also protects my iPad; so all in all, it was a definite improvement over using the virtual keyboard.