Your favourite FREE anti-virus?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by crimsonghost747 • Mar 4, 2014.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    There are a few completely free anti-virus solutions available from the internet. Something that is even more common is companies having two versions of their anti-virus program, one that is free and still offers good protection and another one that you need to pay for but it comes with all sorts of additional features.

I've used the free version of Avg for years now. Back in the day they only had the free one but at some point they did what most do, kept the free version free but also added an option of getting the whole package with a firewall, antivirus and antispyware for a yearly fee. I don't want to pay so I'm still using the free one and to be honest it's good enough for me. It keeps me safe, has automatic updates and overall doesn't bother me unless it really needs to. Low maintenance and works great, so I'm very happy with it.

So which one do you use and why?

2. Batiatus

BatiatusMember

Threads:
    I use Avira because it is easy to use, it is effective and doesn't spend much of my CPU. It never crashes and it looks like it detects all the threats quickly. I've heard that Avast is also good.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Though not technically an anti-virus, Returnil System safe helps keep your computer free of viruses.
    I love it because I don't have to scan any files I download for viruses. I simply open the file and if it's infected, restart the computer and everything gets back to normal.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have yet to come across a better free anti-virus program than AVG. I've used many other free (and paid) ones and have not found one that performs better, I even believe it stands above Avast's free version.

5. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    I use Kaspersky but the best free antivirus software I have used would have to be AVG. It has served me well and kept almost all viruses at bay when I have been downloading files. The free version has enough features for the basic user and it should come bundled with every PC.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite free antivirus combo is Ad-aware and Malwarebytes. I kinda don't like AVG for some reason. But Ad-aware has some good detection rate and less false positives, also its very fast and it doesn't bog down your system as much as other software. Malwarebytes on the other hand is one of my favorites, very strong anti malware. It even detects viruses Ad-Aware had missed! And it doesn't slow down your system either, the only problem is that every time it detects viruses and malwares, you have to restart your computer to be able to fully eliminate the threat. But other than that, bot are great free software's.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the best free anti antivirus that I use at the moment. It is great as it will not use a lot of computer resources. There are those computer antivirus that take up a lot of memory which will make the computer really slow.

8. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I like using advanced system care 7. It has a few good uses.

Malware Removal
    Privacy Sweep
    Internet Boost
    Registry Defrag
    Security Defence
    Vulnerability fix
    Registry Fix
    Junk File Clean
    Shorcut Fix
    System Optimization
    Disc Scan
    Disc Disfragment

Also, if you enter the code c5381-80dd2-b0c44-cd9b4 on the 'Manage Liscence' tab in the bottom right corner of the program when you first launch it, you'll get 60 days free pro version.

I also recommend Superantispyware, JRT (junkware removal tool), and emsisoft anti-malware.

9. autograph

autographNew Member

Threads:
    Since I upgraded to Windows 7 couple of years ago, I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). It is free and have guarded me against many threats from viruses and trojans out there. It is also pretty non-intrusive and does not give you any false alarm. In my 3 years of using it, I have not encountered any false alarm from MSE.
    It has been working pretty good for me and I hope that it will continue to perform well in the future.

10. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I actually just use the free version of AVG and haven't had any issues. I used to use Webroot security before my trial expired and that did a great job as well.

11. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Luckily for me, and other Windows 8 users. We do not need an Anti Virus software, because Windows 8 comes with "Windows Defender" It is really a great addition to the windows operating system. I have not had any virus issues in the 6 months i have had my laptop. So the performance is great, and i definitely do not mind do not mind saving the $100 i would spend on and Anti Virus software.

12. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    For me, I would say that Avast is the absolute best from all of the ones that I have tried. I used AVG for a very long time but still it didn't compare to the coverage I have with Avast. I have heard that some people have had some issues with the newest version but I have no doubt in mind that it will soon be worked out. They are an extremely professional company who is known to listen to their customers. I'd say for those who are shopping around for a free anti-virus program, make the following your top 3 to check out first.
    1 Avast 2 AVG and 3 Avira
    (kind of ironic that they all start with A's)

13. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    There a lot of free anti-virus softwares available on the internet these days. Some of them like AVG and Avast are liked by millions of people across the globe and do a stellar job of protecting your computer. But the one I use is Microsoft Security Essentials. This anti-virus is the one which was developed by Microsoft and is free to use for people having Windows. I have never had any issues while using this anti-virus.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using Eset Nod32 Antivirus. I've been using it for a few years now and i like it. I'm satisfied with the program and it does scan the computer thoroughly and really fast too. I love the interface too, i thought it looks pretty and classy. I have the free version and i really don't see any flaws in this program. :)

15. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    AVG is great. I've been using it for however many months/years and it's gotten the job done 100% of the time. The paid version is much better though, I highly recommend it.

16. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using the free version of Avast! for four years now and never had a problem with it. I'm really satisfied. I have also tried Microsoft Security Essentials and I liked the simple interface. For some reason though, I feel safer when using Avast.

17. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I use Avast, the free version. I never payed for anti-virus software since I find the free version plus a good sense of what not to visit/install to be enough protection. I tried Norton in the past, didn't like it - it was messing up with most of my other software - then again, I was a computer beginner. Having AddBlock Plus installed also helps a bunch since it blocks infected ads and those pesky pop-ups.

18. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I use Avast as well, the free version that protects you just fine and as prettycolors said, Addblocker Plus is also very usefull, but for me its already a given that I install those things on first installation of windows, I don't even think about mentioning usually them because they are so basic and important and usual to have, everyone should know to have them immediately :D Anyway I would also recommend having CCleaner, which is the best windows and registry clean up utility you can have, your pc will never go slow and lag again if you use it from time to time to clean up missing reg keys, temp files and so on.

19. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I know Microsoft used to have a bad reputation, but I think they've really stepped it up with Security Essentials, as other people mentioned. It has a really low RAM usage footprint, which is great if you are a multi-tasker or a gamer. I switched from AVG because I became annoyed at some of AVG's obnoxious alerts and update install restarts, and after switching I've never looked back. I used to use Avira but I couldn't stand the pop-up they started using to get people to buy the premium version, so I ditched that as well. So far, Microsoft Security Essentials has been pretty good to me. Definitely recommend trying it out.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used AVG since 2006, and it's a pretty great anti-virus, although it has some false positives, like it detects the emulator on Silent Hill 1 on my pc as malware. But apart from some false positive results, I'm pretty much satisfied with it's performance.