Your favourite FREE anti-virus?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by crimsonghost747 • Mar 4, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using avg free edition for years and really like it. I haven't had any problems with it and it's free, so that's realy nice. When I used McAfee which I paid for I did have problems, so I'd say avg is better.

2. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't done extensive research on the subject, but for a few years now I've been using the free version of AVG antivirus. I generally stay away from sketchy websites and suspicious download links, so viruses have never been too much of a problem. For the few viruses that do get through AVG has been enough to detect and delete them.

3. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I've used Norton's my whole life. It always worked really well and my computer would run ok as well. Then one day I get my entire computer repaired and they installed Avast along with it. I really have grown to love it more than Norton's.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Microsoft Security Essentials. Lightweight and does exactly what you need it to do. Especially when you mind your security while browsing.

5. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's good enough and does its job properly, although I admit at times I have wanted to replace it with Karspersky, as I have heard a lot of good things about that one.

Maybe if at some point Microsoft's antivirus fails me I'll finally decide to go ahead with Karspersky

6. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I use AVG for my free anti-virus protection. I have for years, and have yet to get a virus while using it. I also like to combine with a free malware protection. I have tried both malwarebytes and super anti spyware, and have had good results from both.

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently using Eset Nod32 antivirus, has been using it for years and i'm totally happy with it. It does the job and i really like the interface, it looks classy and just really nice. The program is solid and it scans fast too. It recognize all kinds of malwares in the system. :p

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I stick with AVG as well, because it's not very intrusive, and I know my way around it's settings when I need to give special permissions to certain applications. I tried out all the other leading antiviruses a couple months ago when I reformatted my computer, but wound up going back to AVG for several reasons.

In particular, some of the marketing software I use was setting off too many false red flags and consequently getting blocked or interfered with by many of the other antivirus programs. Another issue was with certain Adobe apps, After FX in particular, which for some reason was causing certain AV programs to block it or stop it whenever I was trying to do a final render.

I was pretty impressed with Trend Micro though, and really liked it's intuitive and easy to use interface. Plus it has a really good detection rate compared to the others.

You can also check out WindowsDeal.com, they often give away free licenses for many of the popular antivirus programs, usually a few months to a year free.

9. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    I use the same one as you, AVG free. Why? Because it's easy to use, it works and it's FREE! That's the most important part. I don't want to spend that much money protecting my computer when I already spent a lot purchasing it. And it's just dumb not to use it because 90% of the time, this software will be enough for the average user. Add Ccleaner and Malwarebytes; run scans weekly and your computer should be very well protected. I feel that expensive may not always be the best.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Avira Anti Virus. I find it to be useful. I should scan more often than I do, but Avira does alert me when something is happening on my computer that shouldn't be. I also use Malware Bytes which is another free program that can help you get rid of malware threats to your computer. The combination of these two programs seem to work very well for me, and I have had few problems with my internet. Since I am thinking about this, maybe I will set up to do a scan overnight. It seems like it would be a good idea!!

11. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I use Avast, but I have to say that I found I need to use malwarebytes in addition. I had thought for years that Avast was catching everything but my computer was getting slower and slower. Finally I downloaded malwarebytes and lo and behold, I had about 79 instances of malware! I'm still with Avast, but when I get a new computer soon, I may look into AVG.

12. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    Let me shed some light in here: I understand that an antivirus might be quite expensive and not everyone can afford to pay the yearly license. I completely understand that. But trust me that free antiviruses do you more harm than good. I'm not trying to imply they give you viruses or anything like that, no. It's just that some of them eat up a lot of your memory and can give you a headache when you go to the repairman only to tell you your hard drive has been overly used by guess what... your free antivirus. Just don't do it. Once bitten, twice shy. :)

13. Snakevenom

SnakevenomNew Member

Threads:
    I use AVG and have never had a problem with it, it's free and it works while having a minimal performance impact which is very nice for PC gaming. No other free antivirus has ever worked better and I also have it linked with my mobile phone meaning that everything is in one ecosystem of antivirus protection. Pretty good if you ask me.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You should always use more than one to catch most issues, especially when you rely on the free versions. Not many will catch every little thing. I just trashed AVG after years.. far from the best, as I've come to find out and it was causing issues I hadn't connected it to.

15. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    A combination of Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Free version works great on my computer. I used to use Avira but it took too long and at times didn't do a good enough scan. I also used to use the free version of McAfee Security Scan, but that was proven to be useless on my computer.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd heard lots of people claim that bit defender is one of the best security solutions on the web but having used it and learned that it lets some viruses slip through, I wouldn't recommend it. It's probably one of the worst antiviruses anyone could use.

Try Comodo antivirus, folks. I bet you'll like it.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like anti-viruses to be honest. I only use the one that comes with Windows. But my boyfriend works with IT and is always mad at me because of that. According to him, Avast is the best free option, but AVG is also decent.
    In my opinion, I have used both and they did nothing good for my computer.

18. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    AVG really slowed down my PC when I had it installed, so I don't use it anymore. Right now I'm using Avira, since it doesn't seem to be much of a burden to my PC. I have additional free ones though, but they require internet, specifically the ESET online scanner which I run from time to time (around once a week). It's able to detect malware Avira can't detect.

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite free anti virus software has to be Malwarebytes, and it is not really free. I have the lifetime premium version, but I downloaded it and the serials were provided. So technically it as free, even if it was not supposed to be. It is a great little tool. I have both Norton and Malwarebytes on my computer though. Norton is paid, and they are both great for different things.

20. karamara

karamaraMember

Threads:
    I love Ad Aware! It's probably the best I've had so far. I like Malwarebytes but the free version is very restrictive and it doesn't even offer real time protection. Ad Aware has real time protection and web protection at the same time without you having to pay for it. When it comes to performance, it's pretty good actually. I never had any problem with it and not a single annoying pop out comes of it unless it's urgent.