Your old phones, what do you do with them?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by prettycolors • Sep 23, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I sell my old phones just before they reach the point of getting too worn out to use. I usually replace my mobile phones every year because I like trying out new models. Garage sale groups on facebook and some phone forums with classified ads sections are very useful for this purposes. I have even sold my defective phones through buy and sell forums because some phone repair technicians are looking for spare parts.
    We can never really tell how much our old phones which we consider as junk can still be useful to others.

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    If you have Android phones that are 4.0 and above, you can use them for various reward apps, and run it off your wi-fi at home or possibly at work. Look it up on google store.

Apple has similar apps as well, but I never have bought a Apple phone device and never will.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really have that many old phones. Last time I counted I have 2, my old Blackberry Bold which is now completely useless because it broke and my old Nokia 6630 which is now in possession of my friend who happened to wreck the dear old phone. I usually just give them away or sell them somewhere else but usually I give them away.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I've only had two phones. When my first phone died, the store recycled it for me, or at least that's what I think they did, when I got the new one. I know if you upgrade and your old phone is still working, you can donate them to a number of different places. Some of them can actually be resold as used items.

5. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I have a couple of my old phones and they're just sitting somewhere in my room, collecting dust. Actually, i don't know when the last time I've seen them phones. I really have no idea what to do with them so I'll just let them hang around my room just in case i might need them. They've been good to me but I'm now using iPhone 5s and nothing's better than this baby not even iPhone 6 or 6plus in my opinion. :p

6. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I usually have one flip phone just for back up if anything happens to my smartphone. I usually end up giving my old phones to my family back home in the Philippines.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will change my phone every 3 years, so not that often... My last two phones I still have them, as one wasn't even a smart phone and I probably wouldn't get much for it, and the other one is a Galaxy s3 but it is extremely damaged from falling too much... When I bought my new phone that one was turning off a lot! I'll still try to sell it but probably will get very little for it... But ideally I would like to sell my old phones as I get new ones!

8. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I usually always keep 1 spare one, and whenever I get a new one I throw my old spare phone away and keep my old phone as a spare one. Like this I always have a phone in case my main phone stops working and most of the time it's not even that outdated.

9. TheKid

TheKidNew Member

Threads:
    Me and my whole family always place our old phones in a box. It is a great idea because if anything happens to our current phones(theft, misplaced or broken)we can then choose a "new" old phone from the box. It's a good system that works in our family.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I kept my old phone because it still works. I heard that all charged cell phones can make emergency calls, even if you don't have a plan for that phone, so I figured it would be a good idea to have it in case my current phone was stolen or broken, I would at least have the ability to make a emergency call if necessary while waiting to get a replacement for my current phone.

11. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd either sell them if they can fetch more than a hundred dollars, else I would keep them. You never know when your phone might break, especially considering how fragile today's smartphones are, it's always handy to have a spare phone lying around instead of buying a brand new one.

12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Believe it or not, I actually still have my old phone. I have already bought a new one for myself since my previous cellphone is not functioning properly anymore. But it just holds and contains too many messages that are quite memorable to me, so I didn't ditch it. I would still browse old text messages on my previous cellphone and it would bring back few good memories. I'm very attached to it, I guess.

13. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    It is always a good idea to keep a spare phone. Anything could happen to your "main" phone that would make the spare very worthwhile for the time being. I suppose if I had multiple spare phones I'd look into either selling them on one of the numerous recycling or trade-in sites out there, or doing a factory reset and gifting them to friends or family.

14. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I give away some of my old phones.. to those who are interested only. Otherwise, it will just be somewhere in the house. I cannot find anyone wanting to buy an out modeled phone... so better keep it as a souvenir.. LOL. There are memories in it too!! LOL

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    There are organizations that collect old electronics for use in places where the technology is behind ours. I have an old phone now that I need to get rid of. I didn't realize it was still on hand, but I think it is analog so I am not sure it's any good to anyone.

16. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I still have and still use my old Galaxy S2 that I purchased on the first month of its release. It cost me $800 back then, but that's usually normal if you want to be an early adopter. It's my only phone and it hasn't had a problem ever even though it gets dropped constantly. It has a couple of scratches, but not on the display.

17. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always recycle my phones on one of those websites where you can get a little bit of money for them. This is great for me, as I always use it towards the first couple of months worth of payments for my new phone, so it works out well for me. The contract that I'm paying at the moment is very cheap, and this means that selling my old phone managed to pay for an entire six months of the contract, which was great. So you should definitely consider the options that are open to you, as it means that you might be able to get a bit of unexpected cash!

18. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    For examle, I sold my last phone and I recommend anyone to do the same thing, because it is a good source of money that can be helpful if you want to buy a new phone. If I choose not to sell it I'll probably give it to my sister or other relatives if I feel that I should do a good thing. :)

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Keep them around for the inevitable time when my current phone fails and I need a replacement before I buy a new one. :)

20. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I just keep them
    I don't really have a use for them, its not like I can switch out the sim cards; but I just keep them around for whatever reason.
    One day I might just sell them, not sure who would want to buy them though.